Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2001 10:32:44 PM EDT
a chrome-lined AR barrel vs. a standard one?  I mean what is the real advantage, and how much is it worth to you?
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, so they last twice as long.  How long is that?  How often are AR barrels actually "Shot out?"  They would be more corrosion resistant, but what if you maintain your AR the way you maintain all of your other rifles and pistols with standard barrels?  Seems like it would be a good idea for a military situation, but even in a SHTF situation, do you think it would matter?

So how much extra would you pay for it?

I'm not AGAINST it, one of my ARs is lined, but I'm curious how much it's worth.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#3]
$100
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone correct me here if I am wrong here, but...

I believe the unlined barrels are more accurate.

If you are gonna put 20 rounds thru your rifle every month or so, you want accuracy, and you clean your rifles properly, I'd go with the unlines barrel.

If you wanna blast alot, go with teh Chrome.

Basically, chrome is durable, unlined is accurate.

Its a matter of choice, and suitability for your desired purpose.

But I DO NOT believe one or the other is "worth more."

Also, check manufacutrers prices for chrome lined vs. unlined. I don't think you'll see a big price difference..

So, I would NOT pay a premium for one or the other.

Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Well how much time do you want to spend cleaning?

All but one of the bushmaster barrels are chrome-lined. (The DCM I think)
They don't seem to charge anymore than most places.
I would go crome-lined for sure.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless you are making a precision rifle, chrome lined wins hands down in my book.

Besides, as a collector, I want my AR to be as close to milspec as possible.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Pop you already got your tube, dont second guess yourself. Sides, I thought you gave up shooting to hang out on line[:)]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
but the accuricy issue also depends on the ammo and manely the shooter. i remeber a article i read somewherre were they did a accersy test between lined and unlined barrels from a machine rest (no human to mess up the test other then hitting a button) and the diffrence was hardly annyting
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Met1-

I wan't thinking about *that* rifle, I was thinking about the NEXT one I need.  As to range time, well we both got some of that this weekend, eh?  We do need to post a pic of our private 300yd rifle range though!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Troy said:
My standard Bushmaster chromed barrels will shoot 1MOA with factory match ammo, and a tad better with handloads. FN just released a new sniper rifle that shot .3MOA @ 100 yards. It has a chrome-lined bore.
View Quote

I'm assuming it's a .308 FN rifle. So, you're telling me that this rifle put three bullets in ONE whole?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top