Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2005 12:54:16 AM EDT

www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15739502-13762,00.html

Boffins create zombie dogs

By Nick Buchan of NEWS.com.au
June 27, 2005

SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.

US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.

Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.

The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

However rather than sending people to sleep for years, then bringing them back to life to benefit from medical advances, the boffins would be happy to keep people in this state for just a few hours,

But even a this should be enough to save lives such as battlefield casualties and victims of stabbings or gunshot wounds, who have suffered huge blood loss.

Duing the procedure blood is replaced with saline solution at a few degrees above zero. The dogs' body temperature drops to only 7C, compared with the usual 37C, inducing a state of hypothermia before death.

Although the animals are clinically dead, their tissues and organs are perfectly preserved.

Damaged blood vessels and tissues can then be repaired via surgery. The dogs are brought back to life by returning the blood to their bodies,giving them 100 per cent oxygen and applying electric shocks to restart their hearts.

Tests show they are perfectly normal, with no brain damage.

"The results are stunning. I think in 10 years we will be able to prevent death in a certain segment of those using this technology," said one US battlefield doctor.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Eerie, but cool.  I don't see FTL spaceflight happening for a LONG time.  Hell, a trip to our next door neighbor is considered a major undertaking.  Suspended animation may make long trips a possibility.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I want a zombi dog.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Here it comes folks.

Buy more ammo now!
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:23:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with Mauser.. freaky but cool
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here it comes folks.

Buy more ammo now!

No shit.
"This is only the beginning"

(awesome news btw!)
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:25:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Insane. Just insane

-Storm
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#9]
This whole reviving the dead thing makes you wonder though... Religiously speaking, if you're dead for 3 hours, you would be in Heaven (or Hell) by then, right? So are they basically bringing back a soulless person? Something that evolves off of the memories already therein, like a computer... You wouldn't be able to tell the difference (at least easily)... And what's to stop a demon from taking form in the body?

Man, this is some stuff that really gets the thoughts going!
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:10:53 AM EDT
[#10]
bullets .....bullets .... now were did I put those things.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:35:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Broght to you by the good folks at Umbrella.
Zombie Pitbull.

Can't wait
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:00:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I want a zombi dog.

You'll have to keep revived "Scruffy" in a kennel at night.  He may wanta eat your brain.    

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:25:30 AM EDT
[#13]
COOL!
I need a couple of these girls to help guard my bug out villa!

NIIIIIICE DOGGIE!

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:32:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:33:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here it comes folks.

Buy more ammo now!

+2
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:36:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here it comes folks.

Buy more ammo now!

+2

Damn.

Just Damn.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Ummmm....what is a "Boffin" ???  I assume it is a noun, of course, which differentiates it from the verb "boffing", which is....to "boff", of course.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:55:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
... Religiously speaking, if you're dead for 3 hours, you would be in Heaven (or Hell) by then, right? So are they basically bringing back a soulless person?. . .

I don't believe they will be able to bring back a soul once it leaves the body. They might be able to revive bodily functions, like someone on life support, but I don't believe the body can or will funtion, as we know it, without the soul. To have success, like with the dogs, it will depend on when the soul actually leaves the body.
Kinda sounds similar to reviving a person that has drowned in very cold water, but was revived within 30-45 minutes. Don't their vitals indicate brain dead?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:11:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... Religiously speaking, if you're dead for 3 hours, you would be in Heaven (or Hell) by then, right? So are they basically bringing back a soulless person?. . .

I don't believe they will be able to bring back a soul once it leaves the body. They might be able to revive bodily functions, like someone on life support, but I don't believe the body can or will funtion, as we know it, without the soul. To have success, like with the dogs, it will depend on when the soul actually leaves the body.
Kinda sounds similar to reviving a person that has drowned in very cold water, but was revived within 30-45 minutes. Don't their vitals indicate brain dead?

If you are purposely suspended before death then you haven't technically "bitten the big one", if you survive the process then you were intended to live....ergo, no need for the soul to depart.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:13:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the religious aspect, I'm pretty sure God, who knew you when you were in your mother's woumb, knows when you are going to die.  If it's not your time you're not going to be in heaven or hell.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ummmm....what is a "Boffin" ???  I assume it is a noun, of course, which differentiates it from the verb "boffing", which is....to "boff", of course.  

It's "English" for scientist mate, of course we wouldn't expect you colonials to understand the Queen's English as it's mangled by slangwords from the 1940's

/Phil
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This whole reviving the dead thing makes you wonder though... Religiously speaking, if you're dead for 3 hours, you would be in Heaven (or Hell) by then, right? So are they basically bringing back a soulless person? Something that evolves off of the memories already therein, like a computer... You wouldn't be able to tell the difference (at least easily)... And what's to stop a demon from taking form in the body?

... and running for a New York Senate seat?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#23]
So who's going to volunteer for the human trials?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The answer:

.575 T-REX!

100 percent effective against all zombie dogs, if the point of impact is anything better than an
extremity or grazing flesh wound.

CJ

ha ha

Beat me to it.

I'll have to settle for .308 though.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah this dog looks completely normal
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#26]
the religious zealots will ban it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#27]
very intersting, on both religeous and scientific sides.....
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

already been there, done that
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5021178,00.jpg

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#30]
DIDN'T ANY OF THESE "BOFFINS" SEE PET SEMETARY?????????
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#31]
[petcemetary]Sometimes, dead is better[/petcemetary]

Hmmmmm   thinking bout Churchill the cat from Pet Cemetary......uh no thanks on that zombie doggie.

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#32]
That has b-movie written all over it. Possibly starring Bruce Campbell.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#33]
The problem with doing it to humans is that after a period of time your brain will deteriorate and you will no longer be the same when you "awake".

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Have no fear. Our police are well-prepared to deal with this particular threat.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here it comes folks.

Buy more ammo now!

+1!

remember the lessons from most zombie movies, they don't happen naturally, only when science gets in there and fucks with things.

there are certain things that just should not be.

+100!
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#36]

I get a craving for human flesh just reading the article.

Shok
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Night of the Living Dog.

I noticed that the article didn't say anything about the behavior of the revived dogs.  I'd be interested to see that.

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Night of the Living Dog.

I noticed that the article didn't say anything about the behavior of the revived dogs.  I'd be interested to see that.

Read it again...it says specifically that the dogs were still able to play a good game of billiards and read a fine book and enjoy a pipe after they were thawed!
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yeah, it appears that this procedure not only brings back the dead, but also changes their species line.

You, know, considering that that's a wolf, not a dog. Whoever wrote this article really wanted to sensationalize it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

already been there, done that

No, more like this
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#41]
You ain't dead til your dead. This is just a fancy way of making you into a popsicle. When all your little neurons start bursting and get eatin up by enzymes then it's time to start worryin.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's "English" for scientist mate, of course we wouldn't expect you colonials to understand the Queen's English as it's mangled by slangwords from the 1940's

/Phil

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top