Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2001 11:10:52 AM EDT
alright I'm not a big handgun person but I would like some feedback for you on what you like or have. Pro's & Con's ect ect..

I'm looking into the following calibers 9,40s&w,45auto. I only want it to range use{steel targets & plinking} Perfer a med or small frame unit.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are only talking range use then go with a 9mm.  They really very cheap to shoot.  I would look at a Glock 19.  If you think that you may want it for carry purposes later on then stay away from the 9mm and go with a 40 S&W.  My preference would be a Sig 229.  However, if you think you want both and may want to do pin shoots or something like that in the future then the old .45 is tough to beat.  Of course it would have to be a 1911 Kimber.  I know I am not much help, but with so many to choose from it is tough to pick just one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
alright I'm not a big handgun person but I would like some feedback for you on what you like or have. Pro's & Con's ect ect..

I'm looking into the following calibers 9,40s&w,45auto. I only want it to range use{steel targets & plinking} Perfer a med or small frame unit.
View Quote
                                  I`d go with 9 for target.....most likely a high power, or c-z....unless you want a 22...then it`s wide open.....otherwise, good luck...this thread is going to take you all over the place.......[smoke]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#3]
The main purpose of a defensive handgun is to [i]STOP[/i] your adversary from what he is doing.
While any gun can "kill", only certian ones have actual "stopping" power. Killing your adversary accomplishes nothing if you can't immediatley "STOP" him from what he is doing...
While he may crawl off in some corner and die after being shot, he will still have the energy and motivation to do you great bodily harm in the meantime if he isn't shot with the proper caliber.
So, out of your options, your best bet is a .45.
Good frontal area which translates into stopping power. Good "Defensive Handgun" velocity, since little slugs that move too fast don't leave a good temporary would cavity (Also known as "CNS SHOCK") because they penetrate too quickly.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with a 1911 Govt. 45. Its the "AR-15" of the pistol world, meaning you can shoot it stock or customize it up the wazo. Millions of parts for the 45. Just as many reduced power loads for plinking.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
About the choice of caliber to personal defence. The bullet must penetrate far enough to do damage which will lead to rapid demise of the perpetrator. And which ever makes the biggest hole helps also :).

On weapon choice, my preference is the HK USP in 9x19 Para( can´t carry it around here, but there are plenty of brands that make  9mm in hollowpoints which are available to accuire before you should find yourself in a situation which requires the use of the weapon). Just my personal opinion but the USP fits my hand, all the control levers are just right for me, reliable, very accurate and it is built to last. Plenty of models and calibers to choose, 9mm, .357SIG, .40S&W and the .45 ACP.

Plenty of other good weapons around, Glocks, SIGs and CZs. The CZ75s especially have a good price VS quality ratio, atleast around here.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
go to a range that rents handguns and run a couple boxes of ammo tthru some and c witch one u like the best. better then buying a gun cuz some one said oh yeah get one of these and then finding out u dont like it at all once u get down to shooting it
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Gee.........I think that post said "i only want it for range use".....[thinking]???????
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By black&green:
Gee.........I think that post said "i only want it for range use".....[thinking]???????
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!!!
You're right!!
I didn't even notice! [:D] [:D]
I thought it was going to be the typical "Which is better" thread...

Although...For steel plates, a 9MM is VERY anemic depending on how the plates are released.
The pistol match at the SJSSS here recently proved this to me, as 1 guy swatted a plate 3 TIMES SQUARE with a 9, and it didn't go fall...
[:\]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, that`s what i meant by...this thread is going to take you......anyway....i love to empty mags on my beautiful 659 as fast as possible, for about 3-4 dollars a box (cheaper than 22mags) but for defensive, i really wouldn`t want to be caught naked.....[smoke]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with a 9mm.  The ammo is cheap for range use.  And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the +p+ hydrashock rounds have more than ample stopping power for a carry situation?  
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]
yes I only want it for range use as I still live in NY[:(]

used a friends Ruger P89 and really liked it. ran a few hundred rounds thru it. I just don't know if it was the frame or the factory grips but I couldn't get a really good hold using it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Range use?  

Go 9mm.

Get a Glock 34, 17, 19.  Glocks are extremely reliable, tough as nails.  The G19 is a great defensive/combat weapon as well.

CZ75's are nice.  So are Browning HP's.  HKUSP in 9mm.  Heck, the Beretta 92FS is a decent target plinker.  The Croation HS2000 is a GREAT range pistol for someone on a budget (~$300)

Want something for defensive carry, personal protection, and range?  

Simple... Glock 19.

Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]
If your going with the 9mm check out the HS2000.

I've got one and love it,(put 1000+ rounds through it) (www.hsarms.com)  Its currently about $275-300, half the price of a glock.  It fits better in my hand than a glock and has a grip safety like a 1911.

Give it a look, I love it.

Worldskipper
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok I admit I am biased, but sounds like a Glock 19 is right up your ally.  It is a fairly inexpensive gun to shoot as far as handguns go (being 9mm), and there are some pretty decent rounds out there now.  The Glocks can handle all the +p+ rounds without flinching and are about the easiest guns to clean/work on built.  You won't have any trouble knocking over steel, but you aren't going to see the slam that a .357 Sig or my favorite the 10mm will bring.  

I have a Glock 19, 20, and 29.  I have absolutely nothing to complain about with any of them.

If you do decide not to get the Glock, go with Sig.  If you must consider something else, look at the Beretta 92.  At least "Standard"-Cap Mags are cheap for them!  
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a .45 and some wadcutters and shoot Bullseye
matches.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#16]
i bought a kimber custom target a week ago and i love it. adjustable sights, very accurate, and from my little experience with it and what i hear very reliable. ive shot several glocks and they have long, squishy trigger pulls and they shoot low with stock sights. i have to cover the target with the sights to hit it instead of lining up below it like you're suppose to do. if you're looking for an "inexpensive" pistol for cheap reliable plinking at the range, then go with a glock 19. if you're looking for a great target pistol in .45, then go with a kimber.

oh yeah, i like sigs a lot also, but im not too fond of fixed combat sights.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Get your hands on a couple of different kinds, shoot a lot, see what you like, then buy a GLOCK.  

9mm is fine for paper targets, .40 hits  reactive targets (steel plates, gongs, pins, etc.) harder.  .45 is popular for bowling pins, etc., but you said medium to small frame, and in GLOCKs the .45's are bigger, except the G36, which is a little short barreled for the range and doesn't hold a lot of rounds.  

Since it's for the range, check out the P/T models G34 in 9mm and G35 in .40.  Longer barrel, lighter trigger, extended mag release and slide release.  

I'm a shameless pimp for the G35.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If your going with the 9mm check out the HS2000.

I've got one and love it,(put 1000+ rounds through it) (www.hsarms.com)  Its currently about $275-300, half the price of a glock.  It fits better in my hand than a glock and has a grip safety like a 1911.

Give it a look, I love it.

Worldskipper
View Quote

Oh man, I so totally agree I can't even begin. I have been screaming this gem at the top of my lungs for a while...
I got, and this is no joke, WELL OVER 6000 THROUGH MINE WITH 1 JAM?!!!
I also own a Glock 20, and a Glock 17...
I can say the HS trigger is better, the HS handles better, and the HS so far has been more reliable, all for 1/2 the price.
Truly a phenominal gun at any price.
The fact it is so inexpensive is gravy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I second hangfires and aggies motions, buy a 1911, preferably a Kimber. I've owned two, and currently own one. I love it, it will feed everything including the kitchen sink! Stay away from those p series Rugers you mentioned, there junk. And look into reloading. You just can't go wrong with a 1911.[:d]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Its currently about $275-300, half the price of a glock.  It fits better in my hand than a glock and has a grip safety like a 1911.

Worldskipper
View Quote

WHAT?  You guys always exaggerate when making a point.  The Glock 19 is probably the most comparable model to the HS2000.  The HS2000 at the last gun show here is Big D was $289, with the Glock 19 at $439.

Please exaplin to me how 1/2 of $439 = $219.50 is the same as $289????

Now, not knocking the HS2000.  A bud of mine has one and loves it....  but glocks are NOT $600 guns....  

Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Go with the Glock.  You can change the barrels so can get the .40 or .357 sig in one package. A Glock 22 or 23 would be good for the range.  In addition, you can go to a rifled barrel to shoot lead rounds.  I did one time swapped glock 19 and 23 uppers on to each other frames.  It does works but the ejection pattern does differ.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Glock 17 or Sig P226 in 9MM if it's just for range use. Lots of reasonably priced police trade-ins around. Personally I prefer the SIG.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its currently about $275-300, half the price of a glock.  It fits better in my hand than a glock and has a grip safety like a 1911.

Worldskipper
View Quote

WHAT?  You guys always exaggerate when making a point.  The Glock 19 is probably the most comparable model to the HS2000.  The HS2000 at the last gun show here is Big D was $289, with the Glock 19 at $439.

Please exaplin to me how 1/2 of $439 = $219.50 is the same as $289????

Now, not knocking the HS2000.  A bud of mine has one and loves it....  but glocks are NOT $600 guns....  
View Quote

Correct; they're $589.95 guns.  At least, that's what we have to pay up here for NIB ones without 11+ capacity mags.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I would go with a para ordnance P13 .45 or a HK USP in 9mm,.40,or the BIGDADDY .45
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Er, yeah. They are.
I don't know of too many FFL's who sell Glocks for $449.00...But I do know 2 sho sell HS's for $289.00...

Fact is, a lot of guys paid a lot of $$$ for Glocks...and and are having to face the hard realization that there is a better gun out there for less $$$.
Kinda like when you go into a gun shop, and see a gun you always wanted, and buy it...Then, a week later, you see something better for less $$$, but you already spent your $$$...So you just look at what you have, and think of all that $$$ you spent...and know that there is something out there better for less money...
It buuurrns...and I know.
I own a Glock 17 too.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#26]
First off - take your time and try a number of guns, see what works the best for you. Then you can start comparing prices if there are several that works well for you.

For range use there are plenty of choices out there. If I would have to pick one gun to carry it would be the G23. It fires the 40S&W which is compromise between the 9mm and the 45ACP (close to the speed of the 9mm and the size of the 45). I have fairly small hands so the G23 fits me better than the full size G22 (although I could make do with a G22 if I needed to.)

Anyway - see what fits you best, and try different calibers too, if you have the chance.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#27]
sig 228.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top