Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2005 3:12:13 PM EDT
Hello all fellow ARFCOMERS!!  I just would like to share my experience with ASA.  I have been on this site for a little while and heard mostly bad things about American Spirit Arms and a few other AR companies.  I have been shooting AR's seriously since '99 and have stayed with Colt or Bushmaster with good results.  Well Brad aka Colt-653, at ASA started this A1 project a little while back and got me hell bent on making an A1 clone.  I bought a mint stripped Colt A1 upper of the EE a month back and sent it to Brad for completion.  I sent the upper on Wed normal U.S. Mail and now it is Mon.  The upper is enroute back to me as we speak  Brad really took care of me post haste and then some....Thanks Brad.  I can assure you that this will not be the last time I but from ASA.  I was treated with respect and all my questions answered.  Service was great everytime I called ASA.  I guess Brad is busting his ass to turn American Spirit Arms around and get a good thing going.  Give ASA a call for future AR supplies
Pete
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You know that is all fine and good for you and Brad but.  They will have to work some pretty big miracles before I ever spend money with them again.

It's not just a matter of once bitten twice shy.  It's a matter of....  Well lets just suffice to say it's a long and sordid story and it will be a cold day in hell when I do any business with ASA ever again.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
My one expierence with them was less than stellar and they lied to me.

ETA: It was several years ago.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You know that is all fine and good for you and Brad but.  They will have to work some pretty big miracles before I ever spend money with them again.

It's not just a matter of once bitten twice shy.  It's a matter of....  Well lets just suffice to say it's a long and sordid story and it will be a cold day in hell when I do any business with ASA ever again.

Wow!!  ASA must have been a whole different company a few years back.  I hear what you are saying sysop but, ASA treated me very well.  I would try to support any American Firearms company.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would try to support any American Firearms company.

I hate that 'wrap it in a flag' bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you mean?   I guess Im a little more Patriotic than some
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't ASA the place where the owner used to throw things at the customers?
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess Im gonna get a little flamed for this one
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
My first experience with ASA was just recently when I walked in and bought 1/2 case of ammo. I met Brad at a previous carbine class we attended and he's a great guy. I never met the infamous Bob but they have one of the best deals on 5.56 ammo in the valley and a large selection of 9mm ARs. I'll certainly vistit them again.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I guess Im gonna get a little flamed for this one

If you like them who cares what anybody else thinks. I wouldn't buy an ASA AR15 myself, but I have a friend that owns one and I have to admit it runs good.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Isn't ASA the place where the owner used to throw things at the customers?

Yes.  Like an AR15 at me.

I can sell you that AR15 now - it was repaired by a good smith and now works well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know ASA, but I have dealt with Brad.

He is Tops in my book! I can't wait for the M16A1 lowers to come in.

Danny
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That was you?  

I remember that story from a few years ago.  IIRC, Bob(?) went nuts and threw the rifle across the store?
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was you?  

I remember that story from a few years ago.  IIRC, Bob(?) went nuts and threw the rifle across the store?

C'mon...Are you serious
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#14]
It's all fun and games until someone has to deal face to face with Bob.....
Fuck ASA.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's all fun and games until someone has to deal face to face with Bob.....
Fuck ASA.

If Brad is the owner, ASA may be improving.  If Bob is still around, check out the original ARFCOM and you'll see how the first crew thrashed Bob.  Hopefully Bob is out of the picture.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
ASA has changed managment and is now a more responsible company from what I have heard. They cleaned up their manufacturing and their customer service. The owner of the business is still the same guy IIRC...
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#17]
ASA =
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#18]
ASA has changed owners I believe.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe you guy's when you tell me this guy Bob is a real "Prize Winner", but I can't imagine a company staying afloat with a boss like that.  So Bob is the guy to stay away from but, how are their uppers and lowers?
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patriotism has nothing to do with 'made in' labels. Nothing whatsoever.

Besides, where the hell are you going to find a foreign-made AR in the US? It's not like you have to try hard to buy from American companies when it comes to ARs.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm sorry but anyone who would build a Colt receiver with anything but Colt parts has zero credibility to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm sorry but anyone who would build a Colt receiver with anything but Colt parts has zero credibility to begin with.

Well....I have no credibility now?  Thanks man.  I like you Steyr Aug, but just to clear this up, I did have a genuine Colt M-16A1 1x12 barrel and all remaining Colt parts put on to my rifle
The only part that will not be a Colt part will be the clone A1 lower.  Now that I cleared this up for you, do I have credibility know?
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patriotism has nothing to do with 'made in' labels. Nothing whatsoever.

Besides, where the hell are you going to find a foreign-made AR in the US? It's not like you have to try hard to buy from American companies when it comes to ARs.

Actually it does.  I try to support ALL AMERICAN Gun companies as well as anything else I purchase  Again, I guess Im a little more Patriotic.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Actually it does.  I try to support ALL AMERICAN Gun companies as well as anything else I purchase  Again, I guess Im a little more Patriotic.

So the free market model doesn't appeal to you?

Patriotism has nothing to do with what you buy.

Sure, American-based/branded companies would like you think it is, so you can buy that uber-patriotic Chevy Silverado...whoops, that's made in Canada. But thanks for the money! Appealing to a consumers 'patriotism' is nothing but a sales tactic, one that you bought hook, line, and sinker.

Link Posted: 6/20/2005 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, American-based/branded companies would like you think it is, so you can buy that uber-patriotic Chevy Silverado...whoops, that's made in Canada. But thanks for the money! Appealing to a consumers 'patriotism' is nothing but a sales tactic, one that you bought hook, line, and sinker.

But... but... but.... It's got AMERICA in the name!

Anyways, My first AR was an American Spirit, given to me as a gift. I still have it and it works great.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to get off topic, but the bulk of Silverados are assembled in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 11:59:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Not to get off topic, but the bulk of Silverados are assembled in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

The 1500s, Chevy and GMC, are assembled at Oshawa, Ontario. I don't know about the 2500s and whatnot, but if you have a 1500, just check the door tag.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 3:55:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you got me all wrong.....or something.  I guess opinions are like assholes
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:26:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 1500s, Chevy and GMC, are assembled at Oshawa, Ontario. I don't know about the 2500s and whatnot, but if you have a 1500, just check the door tag.

This is true. There are maple leaf stickers all over chevy trucks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:30:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn't piss on ASA if they were on fire.I paid by money order for a dozen AR receivers some years ago and still don't have them.Bunch of thieving bastards.Just like that other bunch in Prescott.I think that running bogus ponsie schemes is a pastime for Arizona Gun Companies.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Never had a single problem with my ASA AR15 rifle.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Only ones worse than them is model1sales.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:49:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Model 1 isn't in Arizona but joking is.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:49:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow!!!  Did I just root up some old nightmares!!  Holy Shit  Like I said before, I can't believe all this happend and a company to still be up and running
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Wow!!  ASA must have been a whole different company a few years back.  I hear what you are saying sysop but, ASA treated me very well.  I would try to support any American Firearms company.

Yeah, well, so do I.

The problem is that I live 1/2 hour from Adco and they have treated me right in the past, so I'm not going to ship my ARs out for something I can have done locally. They also pretty much carry RRA exclusively and I have no issues with RRA and the price is pretty good. I doubt I'll buying anything from ASA anytime soon.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:06:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, well, so do I.

The problem is that I live 1/2 hour from Adco and they have treated me right in the past, so I'm not going to ship my ARs out for something I can have done locally. They also pretty much carry RRA exclusively and I have no issues with RRA and the price is pretty good. I doubt I'll buying anything from ASA anytime soon.

I have done buisness with ADCO as well.  Great service.  I live in Jersey for a little while longer and cannot get anything done related to AR's locally.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Bump
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Appealing to a consumers 'patriotism' is nothing but a sales tactic, one that you bought hook, line, and sinker.

Fools and their money are soon parted.  God I love marketing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#40]
IIRC the owner almost/did get sued by Armalite? for patent infringment. I've bought ASA stuff before and I've never had any problems.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
IIRC the owner almost/did get sued by Armalite? for patent infringment. I've bought ASA stuff before and I've never had any problems.

Alot of people have bought stuff from Toad and never had any problems either...  
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Hello all fellow ARFCOMERS!!  I just would like to share my experience with ASA.  I have been on this site for a little while and heard mostly bad things about American Spirit Arms and a few other AR companies.  I have been shooting AR's seriously since '99 and have stayed with Colt or Bushmaster with good results.  Well Brad aka Colt-653, at ASA started this A1 project a little while back and got me hell bent on making an A1 clone.  I bought a mint stripped Colt A1 upper of the EE a month back and sent it to Brad for completion.  I sent the upper on Wed normal U.S. Mail and now it is Mon.  The upper is enroute back to me as we speak  Brad really took care of me post haste and then some....Thanks Brad.  I can assure you that this will not be the last time I but from ASA.  I was treated with respect and all my questions answered.  Service was great everytime I called ASA.  I guess Brad is busting his ass to turn American Spirit Arms around and get a good thing going.  Give ASA a call for future AR supplies
Pete

I generally wait to actually see the product before I start singing a companies praise.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, American-based/branded companiesunions would like you think it is, so you can buy that uber-patriotic Chevy Silverado...whoops, that's made in Canada. But thanks for the money! Appealing to a consumers 'patriotism' is nothing but a sales tactic, one that you bought hook, line, and sinker.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Never had a single problem with my ASA AR15 rifle.

Sgatr15

Figures you'd have an ASA.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#45]
NOW UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
NOW UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT.
photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=10093&iGalleryUnq=1848&iImageUnq=39533

Now that's some might fine polyester threads.

But has anyone notice the gal who runs ASA's gun show is not badly put togather?  Well, at least here in Costa Mesa
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#47]
All I know about them is that several years ago their ads in Shotgun News looked pretty cheesy, so I got all my parts from Bushmaster/Quality Parts
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pete

I generally wait to actually see the product before I start singing a companies praise.

Well I just got the final product............Sir I have nothing but praise for ASA.  Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pete

Well I just got the final product............Sir I have nothing but praise for ASA.  Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Well my A1 project is complete!!!  I will post pictures of my new prize once I have time to do it.  Let me tell you guys something about ASA.  I was treated like I have never been treated by a company before!!  The service was way beyond good!  The final product is a work of art.  Brad at ASA Sandstrom 9 my upper to match one of there lowers and the outcome is gorgeous.  The original G.I. parts looked like they were made yesterday and the rifled functioned flawlessly.  I must also say that there lowers are beautiful.  Very clean lines no imperfections.  The bolt is also very good.  And last but not least, I must thank Brad aka Colt-653, for all of his time and effort and my constant pain in the ass phone calls for his work.  Colt-653 answered all of my questions in a professional and timley manner and "hooked a brother Up!"  For future AR builds or parts, Contact ASA and keep an eye on the website for future projects.  A lot of good things are going to be coming out of ASA in the near future.  Thanks for the time guys.  A big thanks goes to ASA and to Colt-653  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top