Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2005 3:53:44 AM EDT
I need to format a hard drive to wipe it clean so I can do a fresh install of XP Pro.
Service Pack 2 caused a number of problems on this machine and was told that it would be best to install SP2 after a clean install of XP Pro.

I tried to do a restore using several points with no luck, it's been screwed up for so long(SP2 installed March.) and now I would like to wipe it clean and reinstall the OS.

It's been quite a while since I formatted a HDD, I forgot how to do it, and I never did one with an XP OS.

My question is how do I go about formatting a drive that already has XP pro installed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Link Posted: 6/18/2005 4:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]

I'm going to assume you've tried going to My Computer, right clicking the drive, and clicking "format".

I'm not going to test it here to see if it works.  :)

Do you have the XP install CD?  When you boot with that CD in the drive, does it let you boot from the CD as a rescue disk?

If so, boot to rescue, and go to command line if it gives you that option.  Format the drive from that point.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 4:01:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My question is how do I go about formatting a drive that already has XP pro installed?

Boot up your computer using your XP CDROM...
You'll come to a part asking what drive to install XP on.
It will allow you to reformat the drive and create a fresh partition to install it on.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 4:23:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Boot your PC with the XP disc in the cd drive.  You have to hit "delete" when that option pops up on the screen.

It takes awhile for a lot of things to load but you basically just follow the on-screen directions.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 4:24:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will allow you to reformat the drive and create a fresh partition to install it on.

Thank you very much , that's a big help PrivateJoker.

One more question; That will start the XP install, and it will give me the chance to format then, but what if I wanted to install Linux Fedora Core. How can I formatt and leave the XP install from going in just in case I want to use a different OS?

Thans again.

Link Posted: 6/18/2005 4:33:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One more question; That will start the XP install, and it will give me the chance to format then, but what if I wanted to install Linux Fedora Core. How can I formatt and leave the XP install from going in just in case I want to use a different OS?

Thans again.

After the format it will start to copy files, just turn off the tower.

I hope your linux is a bootable disk.

If The linux is a bootable disk you should be able to use it to delete the partition on the drive, format it, and then install the OS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I need to format a hard drive to wipe it clean so I can do a fresh install of XP Pro.
Service Pack 2 caused a number of problems on this machine and was told that it would be best to install SP2 after a clean install of XP Pro.

You would be much better off slipstreaming SP2 into your Windows volume and then creating a new installation CD.  After tearing my hair out with SP2 updates, now I just do a clean Win XP SP2 install and everything works great.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks again, finally got it done today using the XP disc.

Unfortnately the Linux CD's were not bootable, but I can always install them on this old workhorse.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thans again.

the way I'd do a multi OS is get a second HD. disconnect one of them and install linux. disconnect the other and install windows (to prevent any accidents) Then boot with this utility on a floppy and select the HD you want to boot from.
btmgr.webframe.org/
if you do multiple partitions on one drive, and install windows first the linux install will likely have a multiboot option, but they don't always work right

I'd also make a slipstream cd for XP SP2
www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1626
www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:26:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

the way I'd do a multi OS is get a second HD. disconnect one of them and install linux. disconnect the other and install windows (to prevent any accidents) Then boot with this utility on a floppy and select the HD you want to boot from.
btmgr.webframe.org/
if you do multiple partitions on one drive, and install windows first the linux install will likely have a multiboot option, but they don't always work right

Awesome, thank you sharky30!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:49:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't even bother with SP-2, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:05:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I wouldn't even bother with SP-2, IMHO.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:08:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

btmgr.webframe.org/

Awesome, thank you sharky30!

You're welcome, glad it helped
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top