Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2005 9:41:13 AM EDT
Let's see...  I have a huge package of mixed raw seafood that includes muscles, shrimp, oysters,  clams, cuddlefish, octopus, and squid.  I also have some crab flakes.  Usually, I steam all of this and put it under alfredo sauce on top of thin spaghetti noodles.  

But that recipe is getting old, and I am craving seafood gumbo.  Perferably a cajun style, with lots of spice and nice and thick.

What are your favorite seafood gumbo recipes that I can make tonight for some dinner?
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#2]
so tagged!  yum!
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn, how did I miss those?

Thanks!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
www.chefpaul.com/recipes/chicken-andouille-gumbo.html

Chef Paul has some GOOOOOOD eats!

edited to make link hot
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Taggerific!
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Guten Tag!
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, it is all cooking, and I followed the directions perfectly.  But it seems the flour has formed little balls in the broth (that now has the consistency of snot).  Did I do something wrong, or is this normal?  The consistency and the flour balls, I mean.  It is normal?
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
OK, it is all cooking, and I followed the directions perfectly.  But it seems the flour has formed little balls in the broth (that now has the consistency of snot).  Did I do something wrong, or is this normal?  The consistency and the flour balls, I mean.  It is normal?

Did you dissolve the flour in hot water before you put it in?  Otherwise when it hits the pot it tends to coagulate.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#10]
What flour?
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It appears you didn't let the roux cook long enough.  Should have been a medium to chocolate brown.  Once you have a roux, you need to add the liquid slowly, stirring all the time.  Did you use additional flour in the recipe?  If so, you shouldn't have.  The best thing to do is to take out all the seafood, veggies etc...and strain the liquid to get the flour balls out.  Then re-add the goodies.  Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 6/17/2005 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, here is EXACTLY what I did:

I put 1 cip of flour into a frying pan, and then put in 1 cup of oil.  Stirred it with a spoon, turned it to medium heat, and stirred it constantly for about 15 minutes.  Looked light the light version, kind of like creamed coffee.  Seemed smooth.

So I put 2 gals of water into my big pot, put it on the stove, and then dumped the frying pan into the water and stirred.  Added seafood and veggies, and boiled 1/2 hour.

Now, after sitting, oil has come to the top, there are little balls of flour (I thought they were Okra seeds at first), and it has the consistency of watery snot (slimy).  It looks (and tastes) gross.  The taste is because of the oil, but the slimy feel of it is enough to make it not palatable.

I was supposed to dissolve the flour in water first?  Then how do I adjust for the oil?  

I followed the directions exactly.  Sigh.  

Anyway to fix this mess?
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, there is a way to fix the mess.  Start over.

There's no reason to dirty up more than one pot for the gumbo.  Start your roux in the same pot you plan on cooking the gumbo in.  Once the roux is ready, saute your onions, peppers, and celery until the onions are translucent.

Then add the stock/water.  Don't add cold liquid.  Have the liquid simmering on the side and add it in small batches.  A cup or two at a time.  Stir well and make sure everything is incorporated.

Sounds like you're on the right track, but just made a few mistakes.  Try cooking the roux a bit longer next time.  Peanut butter or darker.  From the sounds of it, you didn't get a good mix with the roux.  What kind of oil did you use?

Oh, and the slimy/snotty texture is from the okra.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2005 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
your fukt. Use a wisk next ime to incorporate your liquid into your roux, and don't ever boil(let alone with seafood in it)just a simmer after it comes up-boiling will actually break your roux. And don't boil your seafood, especially for a 1/2 hour-at or just below a simmer until done(in the shell excepted in some cases).
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Cuddlefish , squid and octopus ?  In a Gumbo ?????   I think not !!    I don't care what you call it, just don't call it Gumbo .    May the Gumbo Gods have mercy on your soul .
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:01:30 AM EDT
[#16]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top