Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2001 2:55:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep...my experience was almost identical to yours except that our POS Cessna 182 had a dead battery so the jumpmaster got out and actually "hand-propped" the thing to get it started.  I had never seen that before.  Anyway, I was the first one out the door and it was a blast.  I only did it once however.  Three weeks later the jumpmaster's picture was on the front of the newspaper with an article about him splatting himpself on the tarmac with a 21 year old kid strapped to his chest.  That was enough for me...............
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I always wanted to do, so one day about nine years ago I did.  Like you I rounded up a few friends and off we went.  8 hours of training, up in a plane and 12'500' later out we went.  I fell in love with it and was really getting into it when I met my now wife.  Well, what I did on the weekends changed and have never jumped since.  I have a total of 17 jumps and the highest from 15,000'.  Thrill of a lifetime.  Everyone should do it at least once.

CH
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it just me or do the words "SKY" and "DIVER" sound off my commonsense alarm.  I do wish commercial airlines would allow a passenger to wear a parachute though -just in case- .  
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Is it just me or do the words "SKY" and "DIVER" sound off your commonsense alarm.  I do wish commercial airlines would allow a passenger to wear a parachute though -just in case- .  
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#8]

See this rule:

XIV. Never jump out of anything you can’t jump back into.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Once, back in '92. Scaredest I've ever been. Like you L&L, I'd never flown before. 6 of us went to Carmi, IL and jumped on the most beautiful day there ever was. I was numb with fear. But once I got under canopy, I didn't want it to end. I'm married now so I won't jump again, but if I ever end up single......  
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I made 5 jumps from a Cessna 206 back in 1987 in Frankfort, IN.  1st one was tandem, next 4 were static line solo.  The 5th and last one was a Mae West (line over malfunction) that required the use of my reserve--round chute.  Landed in a harvested cornfield without injury but was white as a ghost from the excitement of having to cut away.  Worst part of it was gathering up the suspension lines from all the cornstalks.  And of course, the jumpmasters had to track down the main chute that I had cut away.  My previous 4 landings had been dead on and uneventful.  I got the desire to jump out of my system and haven't done it again since (though I did try bungie jumping later).  
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Haven’t jumped since I left CA, but yes I do jump out of planes. This was my first AFF jump about 2yrs ago.

Taken from 12,000 ft. (I’m the guy in the middle)
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/026/Tw/nm/LG/es26106.jpg[/img]

This is a nice view of Lake Elsinore. (I’m the guy in the middle)
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/F2/Lb/ql/na12079.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I had 283 jumps before I "retired" from the sport.  Started in 1990 and used jumping to get me a job as a "jump pilot".  I only had 300hrs of flying at the time.  I stopped flying for the club in 97 or so and had right at 1500 hours.  Went to Quincy in 1994 and jumped out of a 727 and did several "Mike Mullins King Air" jumps from 21,000 feet.  Always wanted to go to Davis California and do the 30,000 foot jumps, just to say I jumped from 30,000 feet.

It is truely a sport that everyone should try at least once.

scottMO
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Scott, ever do night jumps? The last LZ I was going to in CA had em during the summer time. I did not get to do em cause they had a min of 250 jumps to partake. But I did watch and it was cool. They used chem lites on their person so you could see each other.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I've always stayed in flyable airplanes. But since helicopters are'nt supposed to be able to fly, I've rappelled out of a few blackhawks. that was plenty of excitement for me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had 283 jumps before I "retired" from the sport.  Started in 1990 and used jumping to get me a job as a "jump pilot".  I only had 300hrs of flying at the time.  I stopped flying for the club in 97 or so and had right at 1500 hours.  Went to Quincy in 1994 and jumped out of a 727 and did several "Mike Mullins King Air" jumps from 21,000 feet.  Always wanted to go to Davis California and do the 30,000 foot jumps, just to say I jumped from 30,000 feet.

It is truely a sport that everyone should try at least once.

scottMO
View Quote

Scott:  If you ever want to do Quincy again you have a few free places to stay.  Just let us know.  Several AR15.COMers live there & in the area.

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I tell people it's the Most fun you can have with your clothes on...........then I remember the neked jumps,night jumps,intentional water landings,Demo's into stadiums,and back yard parties......24-ways,nite 8 ways,8 stacks....down planes.....putting students out on static lines...being a tandem pilot....oh yeah the one malfunction that put me in a forest in CT.....missed the big tall trees.... seeing Mt Rainer in the background while closeing in formation....going out bi-planes,helo's,DC-3's, 210's,195's,caravans.....what's not pretty is haveing someone bounce in front of you....being a rigger is a satisfying job especially when that rig comes back to you used....knowing your dexterous nimble hands saved a soul when they needed it..........oh yeah....seeing the only thing that could be seen of chicago for the fog  from Indiana...Sears tower sticking up though the sea of white.....ah.....the day I stopped useing a belly wart.......and all those other astric's marks in the log book.....living through the 70's skydiving.....Wheo... there was a lot of weed.....a lot of dead brain cells too.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Air born, Air born, Haven't you heard?
We're going to jump out the big ass bird!

Ice
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Started in 82,just got back from Spain at the world meet. Was camera for the Can. 8-way team. 7,300 plus jumps. I work at Z-Hills full time doin' tandems(1300+) and shootin video.Been working full tme as a skydiver for three years now.Been reading this board for a while now, trying to learn what to buy when I do. Bein' from Canada, I'm really enjoying having rights(second amendment ones)down here. Couldnt dream of carrying a pistol back home, or havin' an AK74 assault rifle. The wife is slowing down my AR purchase though.She's a good girl tho, to put up with me. She's a jumper too, likes to compete. She's been to the last 2 Nats on 4-way teams, this year she's competing 8-way. Skydiving is definitely not for everyone, but you should all try it at least once- get the video too. Its very intense.. your eyes are open, your mind is switched on, but it doesnt write much down. When you watch the video after you'll see lots you didn't and your heart will pound like it did that day. Check out [url]omniskore.com[/url] for my team photo. Look under World air games, 8-way FS,Canada. I'm the long haired guy with the camera helmet. Cheers,BP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top