Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2001 9:38:19 AM EDT
This is another toy I bought this weekend at the gunshow. Is there any info someone could give me on this rifle? It is a great looking gun with a nice blonde stock and a great finish. Its not like those Romanian Romaks that are poor quality. (I base that on the looks of the Romaks, I've never fired one but the finish and stocks on them are awful) Sunday I put a US stock kit on it. Black synthetic buttstock, pistol grip, forearm grip, and a metal heatshield. Its an awsome looking gun and it fires perfectly. I've always wanted an AK and I'm pleased with this one. But if you have one of these and are happy with it or not I would like to hear about it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out ak-47.net.  I have one of these.  They are said to be the best made stamped receiver AK's, and many believe they are second, only to the Bulgarian milled AK.  Mine has been absolutly flawless after 1000+ rounds.  Although the blond wood stock gets raves, it just didn't "seat" right in my shoulder.  I got a Choat synthetic from SKSMAN.com and I dig it.  Have fun Ray
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The Hungarian SA-85 is one of my favorite AKs, and I have...well, several AKs.[:D]

It is extremely well made, and I would choose it in post-ban configuration over a lot of the pre-ban AKs (such as Maadis).

Eric The(No,It'sNotJustCauseIt'sHUNgarian)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#3]
i got one dont know the model thu man i love it i think mine is pre 89 cuz its got a factory bayo lug
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I own a Hungarian ARM which is similar to the SA-85, but the gas tube is short (which helps with accuracy, and muzzle weight) it is more accurate than the Romanian sar1 that i have. im still trying to fit an rpk sight to the rear, but it will take two men and a boy to pop it out. its my pet AK that i keep buying spare parts for [:)]

i wish all AK's used the short gas tube. the difference in weight is very noticable. its not so front heavy. accuracy is improved thanks to less weight from the piston slamming against your shoulder.

lib
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
the feg built hungarian sa-85 is one of the best "akm" (abtomat kalashnikova moderizerei...NOT an "ak-47") variants available on the u.s. market. first imported as pre-'89 ban rifles by kassnar, and later, as post-bans by k.b.i., these feature some of the nicest workmanship this side of poland and russia.

although functionaly no better than the sloopy looking romanian sar's, the quality assembly makes for a more trouble free "first" kalshnikov.

the "short gas tube" model that libertarian speaks of is a civvie adaptation of the hungarian military models "amd-63" and "amd-65", and are unique to the hungarians. your rifle is a standard "akm" configuration.

your are aware, that for purposes of legality when configured with a pistolgrip, that 5 usa made components are required on an akm without a muzzle device (6, if the rifle has a brake or comp). you have added "3" usa parts (both handguards count as "1" usa part).

thus, the use of mags with usa made followers and floorplates is required...or the addition of 2 more usa parts into the rifle (such as gas a piston and trigger, for example).

email me if you want further details.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for all the input. I shot it again today and I just can't get enough of it. Well I guess I got enough when I ran out of ammo. It is fun to shoot. Yeah CAMPYBOB I do have the US mag followers and floorplates on all my AK mags. I had them for my Norinco SKS sporter. As soon as I buy some more ammo I'll try out my 75rd drum.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the feg built hungarian sa-85 is one of the best "akm" (abtomat kalashnikova moderizerei...NOT an "ak-47") variants available on the u.s. market. first imported as pre-'89 ban rifles by kassnar, and later, as post-bans by k.b.i., these feature some of the nicest workmanship this side of poland and russia.
View Quote
yep thats what i got a kassnar
kick ass i got a sweet deal on it to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top