BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2001 7:03:24 PM EDT
what kind of ammo do Sig shooters prefer for
A:  target practice
B:  Home defense
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't use my P220 for defense but for target shooting I prefer a standard pressure 185gr JHP or 230gr ball any flavor.

The reason I go this way is my P220 is an early 90s vintage without the beefed up frame with the heavier recoil spring and as such I'm a little leery of shooting a lot of +Ps through it.

Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
For target practice, I use the cheapest FMJ ball I can find.  It seems to work fine.  I can usually get a good deal on Speer Lawman 230gr, so that is probably what I shoot most often.

Do not use it much for self protection, but I do keep a few boxes of Triton Hi-Vel just in case.  It shoots about the same as the Speer.  I also like the El Dorado Starfire.  I blasted a huge chunk out of a wet phonebook with it once.  Like lbj, I don't put much +P through it, to minimize wear and tear.  I shot just enough to make sure it would function.  If my life is on the line, the least of my concerns is wear on the gun.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I used Win. white box for target shooting, and Rem.230 gr. GoldenSabres for defense. I recommend putting alot of the exact "defense" rounds through your gun and deciding then. I've had excellent results with the 230 gr. G.Sabres in my SIG and 1911's.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Like Federal 230gr. hydra-shoks.  Colt Off., Para-13-45 and the Sig 245 all shoot it fine.  Winchester white box ball for holes in paper.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I usually use whatever decent FMJ ammo is available at that time for target practice. I like the Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shok, The Remington 185 gr. Golden Saber +P, abd the Cor-Bon 165 gr. JHP +P for my 45s. My Sig and the +P Golden Saber is my favorite .45 ACP Gun/Ammo combo.

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought myself a P220.  Got a ton of info over at [url]www.sigtalk.com[/url]

I've been shooting American Eagle ammo and have been pretty happy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#8]
A: cheapest FMJ 45's I can get.  Never a problem.

B: For defense--not just for the home, but for concealed carry, too--I have used Hydra-shoks and now I'm using Corbon +P 230 gr.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#9]
A. 230 grain Winchester Ranger SXT.

B. 230 grain Winchester Ranger SXT.

Its free, so I shoot the same stuff for practice as carry.

My actual experience (from the wrong side of the wall, unfortunately) is that this stuff will rather consistently fail to expand if it misses its intended target and will go through a couple of walls and any intervening furniture and insulation before stopping. Drywall plugs the cavity and it just turns into a big fat FMJ round.

It is supposed to be a pretty good performer. I hope I do not have the opportunity to learn first hand about that, though.

You should shoot a good amount of whatever defense ammo you plan on using to make sure that it functions reliably and to be used to the recoil. The theory my employer has is that you should always shoot what you carry, but we have the deep pockets for that.

See what your local PD or SO carries. If they use a decent load, it would be fairly good for you in court if you ever do have to use it. If you are using some strange load, you could be painted in a bad light by the suspect's attorney in a civil trial, but, by using the same ammo that local law enforcement uses, you can always argue that "if its good enough for them, its good enough for me."
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like alot of people like the hydra-shoks Think I may try them. Where Can I get some?
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Another fan of hydra-shoks,make sure you shoot enough of them to make sure they'll feed properly in your 220.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top