Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2005 7:24:54 PM EDT
I was just wondering if this is all bullshit or real. I go this in an email and i honestly dont know what to make of it.

Bonsai Kittens
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
OLD bullshit

Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It's real!!!

Call the ASPCA and PETA ASAP!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#3]
www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/bonsai.asp

This hoax is about 4 years old and has been duped to death by the way.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OLD bullshit

Okay Hopefully not a terrible dupe.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The ONLY way to get a cat in a bottle is to run the cat thru a blender first.

Trust me...I have tried every other way possible.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

SGtar15

I suppose you might get a severly burned kitten into a glass bottle if you blew the bottle around it.

Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGtar15

I suppose you might get a severly burned kitten into a glass bottle if you blew the bottle around it.

LOL!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ah the bonsai kitty, I remember well those IMs demanding that I lock those threads "Who would do that to a kitty cat?!"

I can tell being Site Staff here has its perks...
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ah the bonsai kitty, I remember well those IMs demanding that I lock those threads "Who would do that to a kitty cat?!"

All of them sent by sarge...
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Bonsai Kitty is my favorite Internet hoax ever.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#13]
This is like 2001. It was great though people were flipping out , calling news organizations and writting letters. They even made organizations to stop the bonzi kittens
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#14]
ROTFL!!!!!

Prefrace that I'm an IT guy, and everyone involved in the story is an IT guy...tho I guess the mark was from a very shallow end of the pool.

Back in 2000 or 2001...one of the guys in our London sent an email back to the internal IT ops list, saying that the new Bonsai Kittens in the lobby looked great and were growing fantastically. Just that, that's it.

One of the monitoring monkeys (shallow end of IT pool) asked what a Bonsai Kitten was...and of course got the explination; a kitten shoved into a bottle, and it's bone structure would grow to fit the glass, etc.

This monitoring monkey did a reply to the ENTIRE FREAKING COMPANY, saying that this was wrong, immoral, it was not something that we as a public company should be doing, it says the wrong thing about us to the stockholders and the public, etc etc etc...this mail went out to the generic all employees list.

It was hysterical.  Everyone else knew it was a hoax, except for this clown apparently.

Word has it about 5 minutes after the email went out, the CIO very loudly yelled for said monitoring monkey to meet with him in his office.

I still got the mail printed out somewhere..it was too good to forget about.

Postscript: Said monitoring monkey, who had not progressed from his job at all from that time, was let go last year. Apparently, he was trying to pick up TS/TG (mostly TG) "females" while at work, using his yahoo account(s), both via email and IM. What makes this awesomly funny was that all the proxies were logged..and his job was to monitor the logging and auditing of them. Not the actual auditing of the logs, but to ensure the logs were recorded and audited, both IM and all web traffic.

He probably weighed around 350lb, was no more than 5'5" tall, and was about 2 Whoppers away from a major heart attack. Had a beard that never quite grew in right, looked like he didn't shower more than twice a week, and smelled like a very old shoe.

The whole story is kinda funny..
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

He probably weighed around 350lb, was no more than 5'5" tall, and was about 2 Whoppers away from a major heart attack. Had a beard that never quite grew in right, looked like he didn't shower more than twice a week, and smelled like a very old shoe.

Was it THIS guy? He kindof fits the description pretty well.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Now that's creativity.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Old stuff but still funny.

Oh and umm, IBTL!
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#18]
The only good bonsai kitty is a dead bonsai kitty.

Just mix up some antifreeze with some kitty kibble. No more bonsai kitty.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a joke to get people all riled up.

I remember getting e-mails on this stuff.  "This is a petition to stop these horrible things!  How can anyone do this to an animal?!!!!"
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I remember getting e-mails on this stuff.  "This is a petition to stop these horrible things!  How can anyone do this to an animal?!!!!"

Save Toby for instance.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Save Toby for instance.

Save Toby?  Don't think I got that one.  Is it one of those "every person your forward this to donates another two cents to the kid with malaria" things?
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Same as those sick people that make cats drink dihydrous-oxide!

G
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#23]
IBTL

Guilty
Guilty
Guilty

ETA
oh, welcome to last century
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Same as those sick people that make cats drink dihydrous-oxide!

G

Save us from the terror of dihydrous oxide!!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

aaahahahahahahahahahahaha

me too!
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it THIS guy? He kindof fits the description pretty well.  

Trim the beard a little and make him shorter. And yah, it could be him.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#27]
That was one of my favorite sites.  Reading his guest book is a hoot!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#28]
My daughter told me about this site last night, and was completely freaked out.  Can someone show me where the proof is that this is a hoax, so I can keep her from buying a plane ticket and "taking out" some animal abusers .... please do it for the children.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Save Toby for instance.

Save Toby?  Don't think I got that one.  Is it one of those "every person your forward this to donates another two cents to the kid with malaria" things?

No No No. Save Toby... was brilliant.

Some guy buys a rabbit, feeds it, and makes a website that says "unless I get $xxxxx (I don't remember the exact amount, but it was like $50,000) I will eat Toby on Thanksgiving.

What a way to get money from PETA folks.

Shear brilliance.

ETA: Had some good rabbit recipes too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My daughter told me about this site last night, and was completely freaked out.  Can someone show me where the proof is that this is a hoax, so I can keep her from buying a plane ticket and "taking out" some animal abusers .... please do it for the children.  Thanks.

It lives!

www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/bonsai.asp

A zombie rising from the grave icon/anim would be fun.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I was home alone the first time I saw the Bonsai Kitten site.

My wife and daughters came home and found me sitting at the computer with tears streaming down my face.  They asked "What are you doing?" and I was laughing so hard I couldn't speak- I just pointed at the screen.

They thought it was real!!!

Yep- there are some real winners who have commented in his guest book.  His replies are great.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#34]
STOP IT

not real!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I love Bansai Kitten, always have since it was first making it's way around the net.    Love the hate mail and the fan mail.

It's still some of the funniest shit I've ever seen, every time I hear the "meow" that plays upon opening the page I laugh for about 5 minutes.    It's that perfectly helpless "meow" that really grabs the over emotional types who fall for the joke, it pulls at their heart strings.

AR15.com should play this sound whenever a cat killing or cat loving thread pops up, every single time a user opens the thread you get....
www.bonsaikitten.com/meow.wav

Love the site so much I want to have www.bonsaikitten.com stickers made up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top