Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/7/2005 8:12:33 AM EDT
I was going to post this in the hometown forums but wanted input from a wider base and especially those that USED to live there.........maybe with bad experiences.

I am looking to possibly start a job with a company based in Tulsa(working all over the US and abroad),and who want to know my thoughts and timeframe for re-location.

Whats it like there?

Is it a gun friendly state? CCW?

Whats the crime rate like?

Hunting?

Weather/climate ?

Government?

Topography?

Where to live?.........Where NOT to live?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The word "Tulsa" is fun to use in palindromes.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Whats it like there?

Is it a gun friendly state? CCW?

Whats the crime rate like?

Hunting?

Weather/climate ?

Government?

Topography?

Where to live?.........Where NOT to live?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Yes, Oklahoma is gun friendly.
The crime rate is no better or worse than any other comparably sized city.
Hunting is decent, just depends on what you're after, there's also a good amount of public hunting land within an hour of Tulsa.
Topographically, it's mostly rolling hills.

Most folks that work in Tulsa, don't live in Tulsa.....Broken Arrow, Owasso, Jenks, and the like are blowing up with people fleeing Tulsa. Any of those would be ok to live in....North Tulsa is the place to avoid living.

What exactly would your company be doing??
Feel free to IM me if you've got more questions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yes, Oklahoma is gun friendly.

I thought it was!!!

What exactly would your company be doing??

Machinist work,on-site, at various plants,refineries,powerhouses accross the US and abroad.
"Mercenary machinists" so-to-speak. Line-boring,pipe cutting,drilling,casting repairs,welding,etc,etc. Ive been doing it for a few years now on the road,and enjoy traveling.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#4]
What ironoxbows said.  It's a pretty decent place to live.  Lots of gun shows.  If you decide to move here feel free to contact me prior to looking for a residence.  There are some higher crime areas.  Weather is fairly moderate - mild winters, hot & humid summers.  Tulsa is building a new arena downtown which should bring in some entertainment, etc.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Gun friendly?  You can shoot somebody if you catch them in your house.  They still have the "make my day" law as far as I know.  Also, CCW.

I lived mostly near OKC.  There are three places I would want to live in Oklahoma if I went back.  Tulsa is one of them.  You can probably find a place more to your liking a little outside of Tulsa if you want to live in a smaller town.

To me, the winters were damn cold.  Considering where you live now, winter will be shorts and tank top weather for you.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Mmmm...

Texas and Oklahoma girls are the best.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mmmm...

Texas and Oklahoma girls are the best.  

there you go
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool. Thanks for the input. I lived in Florida for 13 years and never got used to the humidity,but a decent paycheck is worth the suffering.
Im not thinkingof buying anyplace yet,Ill just rent for now probably.

It will all hinge on the pay............$$$ talks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#10]
You won't find a more "Gun Friendly" state! We have "shall issue" CCW, no FA restrictions, no silencer restrictions, etc...

TULSA RED CASTLE GUN CLUB, cheap, one of the only true 1000 meter rifle ranges in the US!

Housing here is CHEAPER THAN DIRT!!! You can easily get into a 3000 sq ft, 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 3 car garage for under $200k.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#11]
!!!!!!!!!

Ill be living in tulsa soon.

1000 meter range... drool
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You won't find a more "Gun Friendly" state! We have "shall issue" CCW, no FA restrictions, no silencer restrictions, etc...

TULSA RED CASTLE GUN CLUB, cheap, one of the only true 1000 meter rifle ranges in the US!

Housing here is CHEAPER THAN DIRT!!! You can easily get into a 3000 sq ft, 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 3 car garage for under $200k.

1000 m range??? Silencers?? Full Auto??WOO HOOOO !!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't belive no ones mentioned the Tulsa Gun show.

http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/frames.html

ETA: Need to work on my reading skills...guess it was already mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Red dirt.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

TULSA NIGHT LIFE: FILTH, GIN, A SLUT.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Red dirt.

Ive heard about that,(looks like Arizona's Id imagine)is it dirt or clay.Does it turn to thick sticky goop when it rains?(or is that Georgia?)
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Took me a second but.............thats cute
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Has one of the largest gun Shows in America.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Phil and Brent.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Oklahoma is the windiest state in the CONUS.  The windsurfer in me thinks that's cool, but the landlocked status trumps that attribute.

What?  No mention of tornados yet?
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Come on guys......you forgot the best thing about Oklahoma

The OKLAHOMA SOONERS  
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Has the same dumbass leash laws like everywhere else.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I lived in OK for twenty years.  Texas is much nicer.  No state income tax.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone know much about Oral Roberts University?
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Tulsa is a great place to be a Biblical literalist.

Biblical Account of Creation Displayed

Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I just moved from Tulsa to Oklahoma City.  Tulsa is a pretty friendly city.  It isn't so big you can't drive across is in 20 minutes or so.  You are an hour from 5 large lakes if fishing is your thing.  There are several public hunting areas in northeastern Oklahoma.  All the major gun shows hit there.   Uh, someone mentioned tornadoes?  That is the reason I live in OKC.  I got wiped out.  Be sure you know where your nearest shelter is.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#27]
One of the best things about Tulsa is that they have minor league hockey. The Tulsa Oilers have been around pretty much in one form or another since 1928. They are members of the Central Hockey League which has 17 teams.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#28]
lets see...

hunting...fishing...shooting..any teng u want...

womenz...of all types..

cheap housing...

oilers...

drillers...

OSU football...basketball...and baseball nearby.

plenty of food...

you cant go wrong...

you will have to leave the yankee..way of thinking up there though...
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's an anagram, not a palindrome.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Good place for Storm Chasers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Thanks for all the info guys.

Ive no problem with the yankee and leaving(what little there is of) it behind.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#32]
my last job sent a few of us down in pairs to the trash to energy plant to learn to run the overhead cranes. we got one spare night to do as we pleased.
you can buy cold beer at gas stations and such, but ,by law, it can only be 3.2%.
if you want full % beer, you must go to a liquor store, but by law, it must be sold warm, and they can't sell ice.
we hit a titty bar that was regular, but we went to another strip club, but they couldn't have a bar on premesis? not sure why one could, and the other couldn't, but the one that couldn't had a walkthrough shed attached, but yet seperate from, the main building. everyone got in line, ordered a beer, and was allowed to then walk in to the main building and drink.
weird beer laws.
and don't buy linda a drink, they wanted $125 for a single drink! my coworker and i declined, but there was a whole wall of mens names, one name per $125 drink.   f that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong you are!  It's a PALINDROME!  

Main Entry: pal·in·drome
Pronunciation: 'pa-l&n-"drOm
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek palindromos running back again, from palin back, again + dramein to run; akin to Greek polos axis, pole -- more at POLE, DROMEDARY
: a word, verse, or sentence (as "Able was I ere I saw Elba") or a number (as 1881) that reads the same backward or forward
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong you are!  It's a PALINDROME!  

Main Entry: pal·in·drome
Pronunciation: 'pa-l&n-"drOm
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek palindromos running back again, from palin back, again + dramein to run; akin to Greek polos axis, pole -- more at POLE, DROMEDARY
: a word, verse, or sentence (as "Able was I ere I saw Elba") or a number (as 1881) that reads the same backward or forward

No, it's an anagram.

IE - as per above, 1881 is a palindrome.  8181 would be an anagram.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#35]
If you don't mind the Hour Drive, move to Grand Lake.   I have family there, and everyone is very nice.   Some of the town at grandlake, are, Langley, Ketchum, Adair.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#36]
[cough cough]TORNADOES![/cough cough]

My sister went to college at University of Nebraska-Lincoln and saw her share of twisters.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 3:09:45 AM EDT
[#37]
UPDATE

FIRST........Thanks for the info.

I flew down there Thursday afternoon.Company pres. picked me up and took me to the hotel in BrokenArrow and after a couple drinks we went to watch a minor league ball game at the stadium.
They had reserved one of the picnic areas and we all had burgers and dogs. About 8-10 employees were there with family and was able to gab with them in a casual atmosphere.
Seemed to work out good.
Was a good night ........untill we left at about 10 and the boss found his 05 Acura's window smashed out!!
(nothing stolen but his garage door opener)

The next day I went to breakfast with one of the managers and had a good overview of the operation and his thirty-some years of experiences with the company and what they were looking for with me.
I seem to be just the type they are looking for.
Talked for a few hours with a couple of other bosses and then finally with the president again and assured him that IF I was to move there it would be a permanent thing.

The company looks very promising.The work they do ,field machining/repair of large engines at refineries,powerplants,etc....looks really interesting.
The shop is huge and well equipped.Not too neat but not too messy either........just right.
Looks like a good crew working there too,the company seems like they are kinda picky about who they hire.(I think there are about thirty employees)
At that time they had guys all over the country and Alaska as well as Canada and So America.

The benefits, ( insurance, profit sharring ,401K,bonuses,etc),look average or better,and seems like the whole operation is organized and well run while being pretty laid back as well.
From the little I saw and talked with the other machinists, they seem happy.
The Tulsa area is alot greener than I imagined. Looks nice from what little I saw of it. It was hot and humid but so was Chicago on Friday.........as well as Michigan

Now I await a call to see what the offer is as far as pay goes. Then I figure out if its worth while to make the 800+ mile move to Tulsa.
If all works out........I will take my truck and a small trailer and get a short term place at a weekly motel until I find a decent rental.
Until I find that,Ill store my guns,books and extra tools and stuff at a secure storage facility in the mean time.

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 4:33:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Well its a go..........I leave Thursday.

WOOT !!

Ive got a little U-Haul trailer for the guns and tools,should take about 15 hours of driving.(note to self:get AC charged up)

Just gotta find a little weekly motel or apartment to stay at on the south side.
Any suggestions??
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 5:10:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Good luck on your move. I went to Stillwater and Oklahoma City last summer and really enjoyed it, even though it was a business trip. The first time I went was in May, and I asked about the wind. They said it was like that all the time. It was like that when I went back in June. I also noticed the red dirt. Even all the farm ponds I saw had red water from the dirt.

I thought it was only in Mississippi that other drivers would wave to you even if you don't know them, but in Stillwater I was surprised at how many people waved at us going down the road. If I had to live in another state Oklahoma would be one of the choices. I don't know about that tornado thing though. There's enough of that here in Mississippi.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 5:17:16 AM EDT
[#40]
never seen someone so excited about moving to Oklahoma.

But hey, if it floats your boat...
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#41]
WoooHoooo!!!!  Glad to see a Michigander getting out of here to a real state!

I got a wild hair to leave Oklahoma for Michigan about a year ago. . .and have been trying to get back ever since!

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Oklahoma is the windiest state in the CONUS.  

Quoted:
The first time I went was in May, and I asked about the wind. They said it was like that all the time.  

The wind is the one thing that might convince me to leave Oklahoma.  

This week I've been back on my bicycle for the first time in 7 years.  My experience with the wind these past few days has reminded me why I quit riding in the first place.

Otherwise, Oklahoma is a pretty good place to live.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
never seen someone so excited about moving to Oklahoma.

But hey, if it floats your boat...

I grew up in Maine 22 years
moved to Florida........13 years
Ive been in Michigan now almost four,no jobs,lousy government, f'd up gun laws and  screwy taxes.
I like the hunting here and the people,but I cant make a living.

In my line of work Im on the road most of the time anyhoo so it doesnt really matter where ''home'' is.
At least the company Im starting at will keep me busy in their shop when its slow.(as opposed to taking a lay-off and drawing unemployment with my last job)
Insurance benefits, profit sharing ,bonuses, paid vacation and sick leave will be a nice change to have too.

The job is what Im really looking forward to..............OK is really just another city in the many Ive called home.If I had my choice it would be in the mountains somewhere like Northern AZ or New Hampshire.
But...........gotta pay the bills ya know?
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Say hello to milder winters.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Red Castle Gun Club

You'll need this, welcome to The Club!
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#46]
CONGRATS!

You might want to be careful.  *cough cough* tornadoes*cough*
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
CONGRATS!

You might want to be careful.  *cough cough* tornadoes*cough*

yup
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Damn its hot down here!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Damn its hot down here!

10-4

The last 2 weeks have been pretty bad, we were having a relatively mild summer up to that point.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Damn its hot down here!

How are you liking it so far, with the job and everything?

Two states away from your former state its been 90-95 every day.

I hear your pain!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top