Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2001 4:05:32 PM EDT
Why is Grease a must on the M1A... I mean, if CLP does the job on just about everything else, why must the M1A be lubed with grease?

What grease do you recommend for the job, and how much does the stuff cost usually?
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The M1A bolt and operating rod requires proper  lubrication. Oil type lubricants, even the newer oils like CLP just don't lubricate or stay as well as a quality grease.
I use RIG +P gun grease. I was made to prevent galling of stainless steel and works well for me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I use Tetra on my grease loving guns - The M1A, M1 Carbine, Mini-14... a couple dollar tube has lasted a couple years.
View Quote

I will grab some of the stuff too. Didn't know it was that good.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Liquid oils sling off the parts.  A good grease will stay put.  You can buy Lubri-Plate grease from Brownell's at:
www.brownells.com   and often locally at auto parts houses.  Truth be told, any good grease will do just fine.

One thing to make sure to lube is the bolt roller.  Brownell's and target shooter supply houses sell a neat little grease applicator for the M1A, that forces the grease into the roller.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I read that a .45 ACP brass (you can cut it down if you want) works really good as a bolt roller grease applicator. That way you won't have to spend $10 for the Brownells one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Tetra on the M1A and to me it was worth it to buy the bolt disassembly tool and roller bearing greaser from Brownells. They make life a lot easier.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I use to have the little jars of grease but I ran out of them and being no real gun shows come my way I went to HomeDepot and bought a tube of Plews grease. I will get the tetra from brownells very soon. My M1A works very well.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought the Lubriplate from Brownells for use on my Garand and am please with the its performance. A huge can that will last a lifetime is about $7.00.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top