Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2001 7:09:33 PM EDT
Between a AR-10, M1A1, FAL or an HK91 which one would you get and why. I am planning on purchasing one of these rifles and would like to hear what you all have to say about such things as reliability, availability of parts & accessories, weight etc... Thanks in advance.

Brian
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the AR-10 forum.  Read the discussion entitled "How reliable is the AR-10 anyway?"  and read my comments.  Can't comment on the HK91 as I've never owned one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Of those rifles, I would get the FAL.
It is very reliable, combat-accurate, the mags are dirt cheap and parts and accessories are readily available.
The HK91 is very reliable, and a bit more potentially accurate than the FAL but it is overpriced and accessories are very overpriced.  It's also much heavier and poorly balanced.
The M1A (not M1A1) is very accurate but mags are expensive ($32-50)and accessories are not that cheap. It's also more complicated to disassemble than the FAL.
The AR10 is the most accurate of the guns listed, and IMHO most ergonomic and balanced. Accessories are readily available though spare parts are not. Mags are very expensive, ($20+whatever you pay for M14 mags if you send them to Armalite) and reliability is more finicky with milsurp ammo.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with Rikwriter.i have all but the H&K.FAL first because of mags.otherwise it would be between it and the M1A
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Look here for the answer:[url]http://www.dsarms.com/[/url]

Definetly look at the whole site.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
How much do you want to spend?  Pre or post ban M1, FAL or HK91 are you planning to get?  I have a list of things you consider.

Weight (Heaviest to Lightest)
HK 91
FAL
M1A
AR-10

Parts and Accessories (Most to Least.  This includes both factory and surplus)
FAL
M1A
HK 91
AR-10 (It is still new on the market in terms of relative access to parts and accessories).

Reliability is hard to say at this moment.  I have not experince on the AR-10.  It is tough to say between the other three rifles.  I have seen where they work and failed.  In my opinion, I would say the HK 91 is the most realiable.  Second would be the FAL and last is the M1A.  I am sure this would attract a lot of disagreement.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Depends on what you want to do with the rifle.

Shoot to kill, bet your life on it - FAL
Shoot to thrill, bet your championship target shot on it - M1A or possibly the AR-10
Never shoot it, put your retirement investment in it - HK91

I have an FAL and M1A, never saw an HK91 for sale anywhere. Handled an AR-10 and when I was picking my FAL up the dealer had one sitting on the shelf - nice rifle but I was tapped out at the moment.
View Quote

My appreciation for my FAL notwithstanding, I would shoot to kill and bet my life on my HK91. In addition Preban FN FALs are about as expensive as preban HK91s.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My appreciation for my FAL notwithstanding, I would shoot to kill and bet my life on my HK91. In addition Preban FN FALs are about as expensive as preban HK91s.
View Quote

While I agree with you on the HK91 (I have had one for about 7 years) the postban FALs are MUCH better made than the current crop of crappy postban G3 clones.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
if you got cash to burn, HK91. thats if you wanna go super-cool, but just to shoot a good gun, proly fal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

While I agree with you on the HK91 (I have had one for about 7 years) the postban FALs are MUCH better made than the current crop of crappy postban G3 clones.
View Quote

So true, but that is why you get the REAL thing.  All the clones ARE crap, unless you get someone good to build you an FMP receiver gun.

I have honestly not yet gotten into the FALs, but a nice postban (prebans are more expensive than HKs as I have seen!) is very high on my wish list.  

So by default I choose the HK91, but as others have mentioned, it is pricey, and parts are expensive, and it is heavy, but what do you expect it's a MBR.

I wouldn't say that a HK91 is a safe queen by any means.  I shoot the hell out of mine, and as far as reliability have never had a single problem that couldn't be attributed to my own stupidity.  Accuracy is above par, and can be tweaked to the extreme if you are willing to throw down the dough (i.e. PSG1 conversion, etc.).

But I don't think you will go wrong by any of the 4 choices, it should come down to what you are comfortable with or what fits in your budget.  On the HKs, if you can't afford the real thing, or a FMP, go with the other 3 options.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#11]
FAL: parts mags and other accesorys are more widely aviable and cheap i mean come on 10 doller 20 rounders that work VS 80 buck plus 20 rounders. plsu my friend has one and i like it
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell, why choose ? Just buy one of each!!(oh,to have that kind of money!!)[:D]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 12:45:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a BIG fan of the AR-10 but ditto as to what HKocher said.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 12:57:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Like the looks and Like the feel go for the M1A.

six
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 4:12:33 AM EDT
[#17]
My opinions [):)]
[size=5][b]M14[/b][/size=5]
M1A / M14 rifle.
Super reliable.
Accurate.
Excellent sights.
Powerfull.
Simple, less parts than FAL
Best ergonomics (for me)

Hk91-clunky,stamped sheet metal,short buttstock, crude sights. tears up brass. Reliable.

FAL-nice but, I like M14 better.
AR10- unproven commercial copy. I 've heard too many complaints of poor reliability/parts breakage. great ergonomics.

M14, feels right in my hands.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/MS/uZ/wE/v780970.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 5:34:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean like this? :D
[img]http://members.aol.com/writerrik/myhomepage/3mbrs.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#19]
My vote goes to the FAL, for many of the reasons listed above. Cheap mags and parts. Reliable. Reasonably accurate.

But then again, I've never shot an AR-10. But again, mags are expensive.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#20]
German HK91. Best quality of them all, will handle abuse well.

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#21]
M1A because those other nasty guns are EEEEE-VIL assault rifles. With a recoil compensator installed even the omniscient State of Kalifornia agrees that the M1A is a benign entity, suitable for use by slaves..er..residents of PRK. And the reaction that VietNam era marines have when you break it out on the range is priceless. BUTT STROKE! "DIE, Gook, DIE!" No Kidding, it was flashback city!
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#22]
IMHO: M14/M1A.  Proven.  Better caliber then 5.56 NATO.  Better feel/looks.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Though the clone HKs may be junk, the clone FALs are as good if not better than the orginals. So price would play a big part, a $800.00 DSA STG vs. a $2000.00+ HK91

Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Just a little O.T. but, How do the Garand and the M1A compare and which would you rather have ?? I know, I know, get both.... I have 2 garands but have never shot a M1A. The only difference I would see as a advantage is the detachable mags and I would think that sometimes the box mag could be a hinderance(prone or resting the rifle on something to shoot)
sooooo, does the M1A only offer more rounds or is there something more ??
thanks
[x]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I've never fired a Garand, but I want one desperately.  One in .308 would be nice as i would not be adding yet another caliber the mix.

Do the clips still work well while holding a .308 as opposed to a .30-06?

I have an M1A that I love to shoot, but I Garand would be nice compliment to it, especially in .308.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean like this? :D
View Quote

[i](Picture quoting removed to save on bandwidth)[/i]

I don't see a preban AR-10 in that photo.  

Poo, poo.  [:D]

Mike

EDITED because I can't spell.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#30]
From my experience...

1. FAL-especially if you are talking about a DSA. No question, the hands-down winner.

Tie-2. HK91 clone-reliable.
Tie-2. M1A-reliable and accurate. A little less controllable in rapid fire than HK clones or FAL.

3. AR10-only experience with these is holding a few and talking with people who own them. Triggers stink and they are finicky with ammo. Very accurate and controllable in rapid fire.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow, I leave for a few hours and get bombarded with replies. That is what I love about this place! I have shot each of these with the exception of the AR-10. The HK and the FAL are my favorites but I had to ask about the M1A (thanks Rik) and the AR-10 because I have heard so many good things about them. I checked out the DSA website , thanks 007, and really liked what I saw. (Although some of the links didn't work for me) I also read some of the previous posts about their products. They seem like a good outfit. I will probably end up spending too much money and getting 1 of each, I wish. Thanks again.

Brian
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Easy the AR10 why because thats the only one I did'nt own yet.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Buy American! Screw those EuroBastard$. They
have enough of our money.
I had the NM 2 stage trigger installed today in
my AR10A4. Sweet!! So Sweet!!
If you really want advice, talk to people that
shoot for a living like Tippie. He just got a
AR10T.
M1A will shoot rings around the 91. Just compare the sights. Its a no brainer!
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

The DSA FAL is built in the US with US parts. He can buy any of the guns he listed and still buy American (except the G3 clone).
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The DSA FAL is built in the US with US parts. He can buy any of the guns he listed and still buy American (except the G3 clone).
View Quote

M-1 Garand, or my latest pursuit:

1903-A3 Springfields.  I got my second in two weeks.  They have a smooth action and are accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top