Posted: 7/6/2001 6:44:03 PM EDT
My local dealer has a 700 "Police"
synthetic stock
26" barrel
Matte finished barrel
Hinged magazine floor plate
Drilled & tapped for scope mounts
Short Action

Now is this a VS? What does the "POLICE" mean? It says POLICE right on the box not VS. SO what is it. Can I get a # and check to see what it is? It does have 2, yes 2 swivel studs in front which I have been told tells if it is a PSS or not. Price was in the high $700s. Whadda think? Good deal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not an expert in bolt-actions, but to my knowledge, the only thing different between the 700PSS and the 700 Varminter is the stock.  That 700 PSS's stock should be similar to the ones used on those old M24 sniper rifles that the Army uses.  I'm not sure what the VS stock is (I'm assuming the "S" stands for "synthetic" though), but the PSS stock has a better grip than most hunting rifle stocks.

Other than that, when you put a PSS next to a VS of the same caliber, I believe they're just about the same rifle.  Maybe the 700PSS has a different length barrel?  I don't know.  But I'm thinking they're about the same, except for the stock package.  From what I hear from my range buddies, that looks like about the right price for your 700 Police.  Again, take everything this novice has said with a grain of salt and caution.

[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Savage 110 fp-----$369.........112fvls$425.....bdl $519 @high retail......personally, i`d look around some........[smoke]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a chance to pick up a Genuine Article?
Get it!

Here's some links for you:

[b][green]Remington[/green][/b]

[url]http://www.remington.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.remingtonle.com/index.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700VS.HTM[/url]
[url]http://www.remingtonle.com/rifle/700p.htm[/url]

Of course, you'll need to pick up all the "Bob Bitchin'" accessories for this firearm, but, you WILL have the real deal.  
Good investment.

I read that the PSS stock was a bit thicker in the grip than the VS.  The finish may be as described below, parkerized versus blued.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
PSS receivers and barrels are proofed differently than VS models, hence the two "maltese crosses" on the PSS barrels.  PSS steel is usually parkerized instead of hot blued.  Older 24" models shoot like a house afire.  Newer 26" models need significant tune-ups.  If you are going to build a tactical rifle, get a cheap action with the bolt face you need and have it built up from components.  If you want a straight out of the box shooter, buy the PSS.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
PSS will have 2 forward sling studs.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
PSS receivers and barrels are proofed differently than VS models, hence the two "maltese crosses" on the PSS barrels.  PSS steel is usually parkerized instead of hot blued.  Older 24" models shoot like a house afire.  Newer 26" models need significant tune-ups.  If you are going to build a tactical rifle, get a cheap action with the bolt face you need and have it built up from components.  If you want a straight out of the box shooter, buy the PSS.
View Quote

These are supposed to be "Sniping Rifles", which I very well am sure that they are.  However, you'd think you would see more of them in Match competition (or maybe you do, and I'm just ignorant).

We semi-auto shooters, in upgrading, try first for MOA, then either 1/2 or at least SUB-MOA upgrades after that for our rifles...yet nobody uses a Garand, M14, or M16 for "Sniping".  What is the expected "MOA" value to be attained for bolt-action snipers, 1/2MOA or below?  Just speaking out of curiosity, I'd like to know how well these things perform.

[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
PSS= Police Sharp Shooter. VS= Varmint Special.

An excellent review of the PSS can be found on the snipercountry.com site.

Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
PSS= Police Sharp Shooter. VS= Varmint Synthetic..(oops!)

Both the PSS and VS are reviewed at:

http://www.snipercountry.com/inreview.htm

Link Posted: 7/7/2001 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]www.snipercountry.com/inreview.htm
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 2:09:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#11]
If it were the DM (detachable mag) model I would not hesitate. I always wanted a 700 PSS DM. Is this PSS an older one since it does not have the DM?

decision, decisions...........
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw a guy at the range yesterday putting 4 out of 4 rounds into stickers the size of a quarter,consistantly.Then out of curiosity when I was leaving I went over to the 300 yard range and he was doing the same damn thing with many double holes all with a Remington 700 PSS .308,incredible.You could never get that out of an AR,even that Les Baer but then again at 300 yards .223 doesn't come close to a .308.If you are looking for a rifle that is more accurate than you will ever be you found it in the 700 PSS.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my 700 PSS in 95 for $600. Could not afford a Leupold at the time so I put a Bushnell 4-12 on it.I shot a few 1/2" groups with it. A mounth a go I bought a Leupold Tact 4.5-14 w/Mil Dot from a buddy of mine. OH BOY.I never thought I could shot a 1/4" 3 shot group or a 5 shot group that is just under 1/2" at 100yds. And this is with factory Federal Match 168 red box. Not Gold Medel Match of reloads. Lord only knows how it would shot if I reloaded.
When I take my rifle from it's case at the range heads start to turn. And when I start sending rounds down range jaws start to drop. I don't do the B4 thing anymore. My uncle decided I should move on to bigger and better things. I retired my gillie, log book, and sand sock about 4 years ago and started working on my handgun, shotgun, and carbine skills. Is this the best rifle on the market...NO. But when you compare it to the cost of some of the other sniper rifles out there:Win. Model 70 Sharpshooter $1300, Styer PII $3000, AWC $7500-$10000. YOU JUST CAN'T BEAT IT. And it makes me feel like I'm a dame good shot. I'm trying to find a place where I can shot out to 500-700yds so I can collect some good data. But until I find a place punching holes in paper at 100yds is fun as hell to me.
If you do get the PSS do your home work.Do a good barrel break-in. Learn the fundamentals and get some good training and a whole lot of trigger time. When I go to the range I only shot between 5 and 20 rounds. I make each shot count and collect good dope on each round. Or as much as I can. And never leave the range without 3rounds of ammo.
Sorry to ramble on. Hope this help. I got your six.
MoUsE
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Ferguson or Wilkesboro has a 1,000 yard range.  Never been there though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is mine plus one of my best groups so far. It was a NEW, out of the box Remington ADL. It is in .308 and has a 20" Fluted Stainless Steel barrel.
It is a Hammer. It is in a Accuracy International Stock and has a 5 & 10 Round Detachable Mag from AI that actually works.
[url]www.georgiaprecision.com[/url]
GPSS
[email protected]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=984221&a=7366962&p=51533740[/img]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=984221&a=7366962&p=26605333[/img]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#17]
[left]The PSS is supposed to be paid more attention to during assembly, but most bolts can use attention to for accuracy. I only usea REM700 I love these rifles they can be made to extreme accuracy. you get what you pay for.
i love to get one in the future.[/left]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Garand Shooter, I'm at Bragg Fun Fun. I'm out of here in Oct. It's killing me to find out how my system will shot at 300 and 500 yds. Also, I've yet to shoot it in the prone, as close to mother earth as I can get. Looks like we got some smart shooters here at AR15.com. The 5th principle is all over the place.

5 principles of patrolling
1.SECURITY
2.PLANNING
3.RECON
4.CONTROL
5.COMMON SENSE

I got your six...MoUsE
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Georgia Precision,
Check your email [:D]

Don't know if I should just get it our wait and find a DM? Any opinions?
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#22]
It sounds like you have moving towards the PSS, already. (if so, you won't be disappointed) Think about the ultimate/final configuration and (intended) use. (if you plan on building a fine setup like the GPSS pic) I thought the palm swell and 26 inch barrel were more akin to the "Hunt for Red October." However, on one tactical/optical seminar I took, all of this disappeared. Good advice on the "break in." Look into the many goodies, such as one piece bases, a matched set of rings, steel trigger guard, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top