Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2001 5:34:23 PM EDT
From the AP Wire.... They are afraid of us!!

[url]http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010705/22/un-small-arms[/url]
------------------
Updated: Thu, Jul 05 10:32 PM EDT

By EDITH M. LEDERER, Associated Press Writer

UNITED NATIONS (AP) - The United Nations is investigating whether irate letters and e-mails it has received from American gun enthusiasts protesting an upcoming conference on the illicit trade in small arms constitutes a security threat.

The world body has received about 100 complaints from Americans who erroneously believe the conference seeks to infringe on their right to bear arms, U.N. Undersecretary-General for Disarmament Jayantha Dhanapala said Thursday.

The gun-rights enthusiasts did not threaten physical harm to any U.N. official but their protests were strongly worded and were turned over to U.N. security experts, Dhanapala said.

"What concerned me was that there was a widespread campaign," he said. "It's essentially a U.S.-based phenomenon."

The letters and e-mails started arriving in recent weeks, some signed and some anonymous, alleging that the U.N. is attempting to take away guns from people, in conflict with the constitutional rights of U.S. citizens, Dhanapala told a news conference.

"I did not get the impression that they have been orchestrated. They are differently worded, but clearly they all labor under the same misapprehension about the conference," he said.

Dhanapala's office released a pamphlet called "Setting the Record Straight" to address the misconceptions they contained and explain what the conference hopes to achieve.

"The focus of the conference is on illicit trade in small arms, not the legal trade, manufacture or ownership of weapons," the pamphlet stressed. "The U.N. conference will have no effect on the rights of civilians to legally own and bear arms."

Delegates are expected to adopt a program of action, which is not legally binding, to curb and ultimately eliminate illegal trafficking in assault rifles and other small arms that have become the weapons of choice in many internal conflicts around the world.

Asked about the fears of some Americans that the United Nations is trying to take away their guns, Secretary-General Kofi Annan stressed that the main goal of the conference is to try to control the illicit arms trade "to ensure that guns do not get into the wrong hands."

"When you look at the history of the last 20 years or so, most of the killing in the world, apart from the AIDS epidemic, is being done by small arms," he said.

About a dozen gun-rights groups, including the U.S. National Rifle Association, are among the 177 non-governmental organizations accredited to attend the two-week conference which begins Monday.

Dhanapala said these groups will be able to attend all public meetings and will choose several representatives to make statements at one official conference session.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
(continued)

U.N. conventional arms expert Joao Honwana, a top conference official, said it wasn't up to the U.N. Department for Disarmament Affairs to judge whether the e-mails and letters constituted a threat.

"The objective of turning these e-mail and communications to the U.N. security was precisely to allow them to assess them from a perspective of threat to the organization of the conference and take whatever necessary measures they found appropriate, which is what they are doing," he said.

"They analyze those communications, and I'm sure that they will contact with the appropriate institutions in this country and elsewhere to make sure that whatever is said in those e-mails does not represent a major threat to the organization of this conference," Honwana said.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
And afraid they should be. We're the ONLY obstacle on their road to global government.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And afraid they should be. We're the ONLY obstacle on their road to global government.
View Quote

Gentlemen,
   You, as a group, are not the only obstacle to world peace and unity.

However, when your numbers are combined with those of the arms merchants, warlords, drug runners and other criminals in this world, your status as an obstacle is considerable.

We at the United Nations are ever striving in our quest for world peace and international harmony.

Small arms and light weapons have been classified as weapons of mass destruction by myself, as they have been used to kill or injure millions of victims in conflicts around the world.

Thousands of children have been made homeless and/or orphaned.

And, most tragically, thousands more children have been forced to fight as child warriors in various conflicts around the world.

Only by eliminating the rampant illegal arms trade throughout the world can we hope to put a final end to this genocide.

Please visit www.un.org for further information.

Might I also suggest that you view the video entitled "Armed To The Teeth". This will possibly give you a different perspective on arms control.

We are doing it for the children.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#7]
If I hear any more bull shit about the children I'm going to puke!  That's the whole story behind every thing politicians do to screw the common law abiding citizen.  The property taxes are high because of the school system for the children.  It should not be the responsibility of the parents to watch there children, "It takes a village" (from that bitch Hillary) good job NY I hope she can fix your city.  YEAH RIGHT, NOT! Guns are killing the children, not the parents that leave guns out for them to take!  Wait Wait I have something happening I think it could be, no I'm sure it is, Aaah, what could it be? common sense!! I don't need some big winded Jack ass to tell me how to protect my children I can do it myself!! And I don't want big brother brain washing my child with their propaganda.
So Sayith the Shepard
So Sayith the Flock
So get the Flock out of here!
[sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top