Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2005 1:00:57 PM EDT
Interesting… and there are a number reports from islamic sources that Al Zarqawi was shot twice (shoulder & lung) by US Marines in an ambush and has been taken out of Iraq to a 'safe' (Syria?) country.

It seems we nearly got the bastard and are taking down some of his closest aides. (Sabhan Ahmad Ramadan, a senior al-Zarqawi aide in northern Iraq was also killed today).

ANdy

Iraqi Forces Arrest Key Zarqawi Aide
By Patricia Nunan
Baghdad
25 May 2005

The U.S. military has confirmed the arrest of an aide to the al-Qaida chief in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, by Iraqi forces near the city of Baquba.   The arrest was announced as the U.S. launched an operation in the western city of Haditha intended to round up insurgent suspects.

A statement released by the U.S. military describes Mullah Kamel al-Aswadi as the most wanted terrorist in north-central Iraq.

Officials say Iraqi forces made the arrest of al-Aswadi as he tried to bribe his way through a checkpoint in the town of Balad.  His vehicle was found to contain a global positioning system, multiple identification papers, a scope used to launch mortars, and U.S. currency.

Abu Musab Zarqawi (undated State Dept. photo)
Officials say al-Aswadi served as a key aide to Iraq's al-Qaida front man, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian-born militant.  The statement says al-Aswadi was involved in the funding of terror cells, terrorist training, and the making of car and roadside bombs.

On Tuesday, an Islamist website al-Zarqawi reported had been wounded, and asked for his supporters to offer prayers for his recovery. It did not say how he was injured or where he was.  U.S. officials could not confirm the authenticity of the statement.

Meanwhile, about 1000 U.S. and Iraqi troops swept through the western town of Haditha in what officials call Operation New Market.  The pre-dawn offensive brought together Iraqi and U.S. soldiers who raided houses in search of insurgents, while helicopters circled overhead and Marines patrolled the Euphrates River along which the town is situated.

It is the second offensive this month in parts of western Iraq near the border with Syria where Zarqawi's supporters are believed to be hiding.  U.S. officials have accused Syria of supporting insurgents who cross the border to attack U.S. and Iraqi forces.

In the earlier offensive, called Operation Matador, officials say at least 75 insurgents were killed.

But critics of the U.S. occupation of Iraq, such as Baghdad professor Naebil Younis, say the arrests and the offensives will mean little until Washington works out a formula to scale back the U.S. presence.

"What I see, the right thing to do, is to find channels for negotiations with the national resistance, so you may come to such an agreement with them about the withdrawal of American troops, at least in the meantime from the cities.  This is a big problem for the people, the whole people," he said.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2005-05-25-voa56.cfm
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like good news to me
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Bush...and any nation that knowingly harbors terrorists...

We will see what the Syrians are made of if is found to be true that Al Zarqawi is within their boarders, under official Syrian approval.

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Safe country is France.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think it matters too much if we get Zarqawi.  I'm sure he's already made arrangements in case he's captured or killed.  His successor will probably be even worse, at least for a while, to show he's in charge and capable of equal brutality.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep rolling up that carpet, fellas!
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Interesting… and there are a number reports from islamic sources that Al Zarqawi was shot twice (shoulder & lung) by US Marines in an ambush and has been taken out of Iraq to a 'safe' (Syria?) country.

Would that give us enough of a excuse to invade Syria?  Or at leat raid it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
First if we were shooting 6.8s instead of 5.56 out of 10.5 inch barrels he would be dead.    

Second he has 100000 aides for WTF does it matter?  We capture them everyday and he has more.  I think we have captured HIM about 9 times.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Would that give us enough of a excuse to invade Syria?  Or at leat raid it?

I'm just waiting on a Marine patrol in hot pursuit of those fookheads chase them back to their lair in Syria then stumble a whole nest of these terrs with a stockpile of IEDs. The SHTF at that point. A simple 'Cambodia' style incursion into eastern Syria to clean out the terrs turns up a huge pile of WMDs with Iragi markings. OOOHHHH YEAHH!!!!

My wager is that Syria is next on W's list to go down in a big way.

wganz
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
First if we were shooting 6.8s instead of 5.56 out of 10.5 inch barrels he would be dead.    

Second he has 100000 aides for WTF does it matter?  We capture them everyday and he has more.  I think we have captured HIM about 9 times.

7.62 would have been nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top