Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2005 6:37:46 PM EDT
Over the past couple weeks, maybe even a month my right thigh has started to tingle and go numb.  It started slowly and would come and go but now it pretty much numb in some form or another all the time.   Plus I get occasional burning sensation from the same area.  

Here's some background, I'm 28, 5'9" 175,  fairly stocky, blood pressure runs 110/65.  I wear a sidearm close to 10 hours a day 6 days a week, open carry in a Galco concealed carry, fed paddle ,or other.  I thought this might be the cause so I have been carrying smaller/lighter weapons to see it it would help, but it hasn't so far.  I'm on my feet for the majority of the day also.  I've had no major injuries, but had a fall off some steps a couple months ago, injuring the left foot (went to doc said not broken) but it still bothers me some.  

I'm wondering what could be causing this.  Any thoughts?

Bill3508
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
quit resting your elbow on your leg as you habitually cruise the naughty sites with your pants down.....
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Google Meralgia Peresthetica.  Someone else posted the same problem a few months back.  It is cause by entrapment of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve of the thigh under the inguinal ligament.  See your doctor to confirm.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn!

Three minutes and a smart assed answer and an answer that sure sounds official!

This place rocks!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Damn!

Three minutes and a smart assed answer and an answer that sure sounds official!

This place rocks!

Just doing my part.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I looked up Meralgia Peresthetica but I still don't know exactly what is causing this.  It is from the sidearm and 2" belt putting pressure on it?  Its starting to worry me some, I don't want it to di e and have to have it chopped off.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Google Neralgia Parathesia.  Someone else posted the same problem a few months back.  It is cause by entrapment of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve of the thigh under you too tight belt or holster. Change these things and if no there is no change, see your doctor.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Its starting to worry me some, I don't want it to di e and have to have it chopped off.

Bill3508

Uh Bill buddy, thats some pretty serious stuff.  Don't ya think it may be time to go see a doctor and not gun enthusiasts?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Google Neralgia Parathesia.  Someone else posted the same problem a few months back.  It is cause by entrapment of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve of the thigh under you too tight belt or holster. Change these things and if no there is no change, see your doctor.

During my fellowship we actually did nerve conduction studies of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve.  We'd place the recording electrode over the antero-lateral thigh and try and stimulate the nerve just below the inguinal ligament, all the while usually fighting someone's panus.  

bill3508,

This is a decent article about it.  Keep Googling,  try JarheadChiro's suggestion and see your doctor if you're still worried.

www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic590.htm
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys are so knowledgeble, that I have to ask.  I try my best to avoid docs as my appointment time and the doc seeing me time don't normally match even in the least bit.  Someone should fix that, but until then, I ask that you spare some of your wisdom for me.  

Bill3508
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]
If this were a common problem with belts and associating sidearms then maybe some of our LEO buddies would like to chime in.  Any of you experience any of these problems?

Thanks for the link, C-4, that is exactly what is happening.  

BIll3508
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Had the same thing crop up a couple months ago, but it was my kneecap that went numb. Still is. Doctors could not figure it out at all and sent me back to work. It may well be a cop-related thing. When it first happened, I had alot of pain in my knee and assumed that I blew a knee out, which is very common among my co-workers; there is ALWAYS someone on light duty because their knee went out. I just figured that it was my turn.

As near as I could figure, my magazine pouch was pinching a nerve. I moved it to a horizontal carry and much of the numbness went away. I run on it, move on it and haven't had any problems, I just figured that growing old sucks and stopped worrying about it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

During my fellowship we actually did nerve conduction studies of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve.  We'd place the recording electrode over the antero-lateral thigh and try and stimulate the nerve just below the inguinal ligament, all the while usually fighting someone's panus.  

bill3508,

This is a decent article about it.  Keep Googling,  try JarheadChiro's suggestion and see your doctor if you're still worried.

www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic590.htm

Doc,

Is that one of the nerves the anesthesiologist was after when he was using a loooooonnnnngggg needle to poke around in my thigh/groin area...front or rear...in preparation for the leg block he gave me?  (Football...busted leg!)  He injected me twice...once in front and once in my ass...then I didn't feel anything and I couldn't move my leg at all!  Then he scared the hell out of me by picking up my badly fracture leg aabout four inches and DROPPING IT ON THE TABLE!  I didn't feel a damn thing.   The intern thought that was funny...I however did not.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If this were a common problem with belts and associating sidearms then maybe some of our LEO buddies would like to chime in.  Any of you experience any of these problems?

Thanks for the link, C-4, that is exactly what is happening.  

BIll3508

Given all the excellent free advice I get from this site I'm happy I could be of some help.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife experienced numbness and tingling in her fingers on one hand late last year.  We weren't taking any chances, so we went to see a neurologist and she underwent an MRI, which revealed slight demyelination at the top of her spinal column.  It turned out not to be terribly serious, a one-time event possibly brought on by a virus, but you need to see a neurologist, because it is also an early symptom of Multiple Sclerosis.

Edited because I can't spell demyelination (Oh, like you can!!)
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Doc,

Is that one of the nerves the anesthesiologist was after when he was using a loooooonnnnngggg needle to poke around in my thigh/groin area...front or rear...in preparation for the leg block he gave me?  (Football...busted leg!)  He injected me twice...once in front and once in my ass...then I didn't feel anything and I couldn't move my leg at all!  Then he scared the hell out of me by picking up my badly fracture leg aabout four inches and DROPPING IT ON THE TABLE!  I didn't feel a damn thing.   The intern thought that was funny...I however did not.

They were doing a much wider/generalized nerve block to get the whole leg numb.  The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve of the thigh is a superficial nerve that covers a relatively small area relative to the rest of the leg.  Usually they give people an intravenous dose of Versed (a Valium-like drug) so that you have amnesia for the event.  Some things, especially in the ER, are best not remembered.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#16]
When you guys find a cure, drop me a line.  I've had it for about two years now.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I think its from too much yanking and choking of the chicken.  You need to go see a chiropractor.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Pinched nerve in the back?????? You may be starting to have back problems.

Scatcia (sp??)
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#19]
My back feels great.  

As far as the chicken choking, I'll taper it off a bit.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Over the past couple weeks, maybe even a month my right thigh has started to tingle and go numb.  It started slowly and would come and go but now it pretty much numb in some form or another all the time.   Plus I get occasional burning sensation from the same area.  

Here's some background, I'm 28, 5'9" 175,  fairly stocky, blood pressure runs 110/65.  I wear a sidearm close to 10 hours a day 6 days a week, open carry in a Galco concealed carry, fed paddle ,or other.  I thought this might be the cause so I have been carrying smaller/lighter weapons to see it it would help, but it hasn't so far.  I'm on my feet for the majority of the day also.  I've had no major injuries, but had a fall off some steps a couple months ago, injuring the left foot (went to doc said not broken) but it still bothers me some.  

I'm wondering what could be causing this.  Any thoughts?

Bill3508

I actualy had the same thing for a while but mine was caused from wearing a tool belt for 8 hours a day. Since I went to the tool bag I havent had any problems.
What would work for a little while is to move the weight around on your hips. It only works for a little while tho.

You might think about a diferent holster or even a shoulder holster if you cant think of anything else to fix it.

Good Luck with it
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#22]
First thought

Quoted:
Google Meralgia Peresthetica.  Someone else posted the same problem a few months back.  It is cause by entrapment of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve of the thigh under the inguinal ligament.  See your doctor to confirm.

Second thought

Quoted:
quit resting your elbow on your leg as you habitually cruise the naughty sites with your pants down.....

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Before searching out a Chiro. Check out this. The bad Chiros will tell you how evil the page is and generally cry. The good ones will recommend it.
www.chirobase.org/
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#26]
L Wilde: He was doing a combination Sciatic nerve (most of the leg) and Femoral Block to provide anesthesia for your surgery. We do them all the time here at Bethesda Naval. Most of the OIF/OEF wounded Marines have extremity injuries. We will even place indwelling catheters next to the nerves to keep 'em numb for weeks.
ZK
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had this exact same thing for probably 15 years now. Sometimes the numbness is worse than other times, I always figured it would go away but it doesn't bother me enough to make a trip to the doc for it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1. Your duty belt is pinching this nerve. Just carry an AR on a Tac Sling instead. Doctor's orders.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm going to try to move the weight around some.  I went from carrying my 229 to wearing a 239 Sig in a galco concealable, pretty comfortable.  Seems as though the belt is problem, but no real way to correct that.  Shoulder holster would be nice but its going to be hot as hell in GA soon, and I don't know how I would conceal it.  Any suggestions?  

Thanks for all the replys.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I think your probably just a little bit low on blinker fluid.

TXL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top