Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2005 9:28:41 AM EDT
movie link

Jarhead (the self-imposed moniker of the Marines) follows "Swoff" (Gyllenhaal), a third-generation enlistee, from a sobering stint in boot camp to active duty, sporting a sniper's rifle and a hundred-pound ruck on his back through Middle East deserts with no cover from intolerable heat or from Iraqi soldiers, always potentially just over the next horizon. Swoff and his fellow Marines sustain themselves with sardonic humanity and wicked comedy on blazing desert fields in a country they don't understand against an enemy they can't see for a cause they don't fully fathom... Foxx portrays Sergeant Sykes, a Marine lifer who heads up Swofford's scout/sniper platoon, while Sarsgaard is Swoff's friend and mentor, Troy, a die-hard member of STA-their elite Marine Unit.

Sounds like it could be a cool flick. I'm skeptical simply because it has Jamie Foxx in it which screams of him being the comic relief of the film, but given his recent more serious roles I suppose there is still hope.

I like Jake Gyllenhaal... Donnie Darko was kick ass.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Swofford is full of shit. The guy whined throughout the book and talked a lot of trash about my Marine Corps. I won't be seeing it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I read "Jarhead" last summer, and I was not impressed. This guy Swofford talked a lot of shit about my Corps. I can't even understand why he went into a Scout/Sniper platoon if he hated it so much. I'll probably end up watching the movie though when it comes out on DVD.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll skip it.  I read the book, and like the Marines in my platoon who read it, thought it was crap.  The author is a whiny turd who blames the Corps for his personal inadequacies and issues.  Obviosly, that STA platoon was one of the ones that attracted the primadonna losers who wanted to do their own thing and fuck off instead of the steller Marines who wanted to do the tough missions.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to know. I never heard of the guy so obviously I never read his book. Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Decided to check out a university library copy instead of getting one from Amazon. Of course they have it! Four copies - in the Barnard, Journalism, International Affairs, and main libraries. They don't deem Clancy's "Marine!" to be fit for our library, but this guy? Put him in every library!

I swear there's some libs behind acquisitions.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The book does do one things. It proved to me that if he could get that load of tripe published, I had a shot with my memoirs.

Currently working my way into putting my foot in a publisher's door. (Slowly, I should add)

NTM
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't remember any action in the book, what's going to make me want to watch the movie?  I don't think hollywood can do a better version of boot camp than was already done (FMJ).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top