Opinions?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
bueller....
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of them

tag while I look for links
ETA-they are sold at Lowe's.  Kobalttools.com website gives only a link to Lowe's, where you plug in your ZIP and I plugged in MINE and got a listing of the boxeshere
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they're only carried by Lowes....

I was wondering if anyone has one. I have a line on a used 11-drawer model (new price - $600) and wanted to see if they were chicom crap or good stuff.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Think ummmmm yes HARBOR FREIGHT!!!

Steer clear...if you want a cheap box buy it from Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, Tractor Co. etc....or even SEARS- the Craftsman boxes are nice for the money. Another source is pawn shops...I know its sounds weird, but crackheads will sell anything- got a complete 8 drawer MAC Tools box with socket and wrenches for $250.

The Lowes tools/boxes are nothing more than glorified Harbor Freight.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The HF tool boxes I have seen were rather good quality in a surprising fashion.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Father-in-Law lives at Harbor Frieght..owns everything 3 times over from them. He got two of those rolling tools chests...They are weak! I barely rolled it into the wall, Big dent and drawers are running off track now. Trust me, I cannot justify sucking the Snap-On man or MAC TOOLS guy but there are affordable options like Sears.

Something to consider..Harbor Freight does not have a very customer friendly return policy for LARGE ITEMS. Yeah, they will take it back but it gets expensive and very hard to schedule.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought two Kobalt work benches. A four drawer for the garage and a two drawer for the reloading room. The instructions are slightly vague, but the damn thing is pretty strong.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
i believe waterloo makes the kobalt, craftsman and several others. there are definite quality differences as you spend more money. typically this matters most when you frequently move them loaded. the casters, sheet metal, seams, will distort or fail on the cheapo stuff.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Kobalt is good.....the task-force or whatever Lowe's cheap-assed-brand is, is the one thats about on par with the cheap harbor freight stuff.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i believe waterloo makes the kobalt, craftsman and several others. there are definite quality differences as you spend more money. typically this matters most when you frequently move them loaded. the casters, sheet metal, seams, will distort or fail on the cheapo stuff.

Hey your in PA give these guys the skinny on Harbor Frieght and Central Machinery....
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Kobalt.  It is made by Waterloo according to the box.  I think the newer ones are made by somebody else and they are not as good, but I don't know for sure.  Mine is probably 12-18 months old.  It has a lifetime warranty and I had to use it to get one of the slides replaced because it was broken from the factory.  I would buy another one if the newer ones are the same quality as mine.  It definately doesn't have a tin-like feel to it like some of the cheaper ones do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top