Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2005 8:38:54 AM EDT
Most of the pepper spray that I have ever bought for my wife is just pepper spray.  Recently I found some mase that also contains CS gas.  What is the difference?  Is one better than the other?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, as long as the pepper spray is of the 2 million SHU variety, you won't be needing the CS, IMO.

Mike

ps - SHU = scoville heat units)
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
How can  you tell?  It doesn't say on the bottle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How can  you tell?  It doesn't say on the bottle.

All of my pepper spray states clearly on the label or I pass on it.

THis might help explain it for ya..................

What is Pepper Spray
All new 10% OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) formula @ 2 million Scoville Heat Units and awesome, unbeatable Fox 2% (even faster acting) OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) formula @ 5.3 million Scoville Heat Units with identifying ultraviolet dye. It is the strongest OC formula allowed by law. Non-toxic and non-flammable. Effects last for 20 to 90 minutes. Units can be fired many times and have a range of 8 to 20 feet, depending on model.

OC is a derivative of HOT CAYENNE PEPPERS and is the newest defensive spray agent. It is not an irritant like the tear gases, but an inflammatory agent. Contact with mucous membranes (eyes, nose, throat and lungs) will cause IMMEDIATE dilation of the capillaries of the eyes, resulting in TEMPORARY BLINDNESS and instant inflammation of the breathing tube tissues, cutting off ALL BUT LIFE-SUPPORT BREATHING. OC will not deteriorate with age and unlike the tear gasses, WILL NOT CAUSE LASTING AFTEREFFECTS.

One of the biggest misconceptions about defense spray is that the higher the percentage, the hotter and better it works. In most cases this could not be further from the truth. Most of the best, fastest incapacitating sprays in the world are from 2%-10%. The lighter the fluid, the faster is penetrates the membranes. The percentage has nothing to do with the actual SHU or "hot" in the spray. Also, thicker sprays can inflame the skin area more and last longer with this unnecessary inflammation. A good spray will put the attacker down and out allowing you to escape or take control of the situation.

Because it is an inflammatory, rather than an irritant, OC is effective against all those who feel no pain such as psychotics, drunks and drug abusers. OC has proven itself to be the ABSOLUTE BEST DETERRENT available for attacking dogs and wild animal control. Another major advantage of OC is that it is not volatile and will not emit a lot of fumes like tear gases.

The term OC (oleoresin capsicum) is a horticultural term which refers to chili peppers. There are many different kinds of chili peppers ranging from jalapenos, chiletpin, and cayenne to habaneros. They all have one thing in common. They all contain a substance that is very powerful -- an alkaloid called capsaicin (cap-say-a-sin). Just a single drop of tasteless and odorless capsaicin in 100,000 drops of water and the heat can be noticeable. In fact, capsaicin can be detected by humans at one part per ten million!

Capsaicinoids are produced by a gland in the pepper's placenta, which is the top partition just below the stem. This is also where the seeds are attached. The placenta is about 16 times stronger than any other part of the plant, any OC spray worth its salt will use its active ingredient made from this part.

Back in 1912, a pharmacologist named Wilbur Scoville came up with the standard for measuring the power of capsaicin. Called the Scoville Organoleptic Test, it was needed to calculate the temperature of peppers used in many pharmaceutical products of the time (such as "Heet" which was used for the relief of sore muscles, arthritis pain and muscular sprains). Scoville measured the ground pepper into a mixture of sugar, water and alcohol. Then, a panel of five tasters sipped the mixture and gave it a grade; it took a majority of three to assign a value.

Today, the value is established through high technology, a computerized method called high-performance liquid chromatography. The pepper scale ranges from zero Scoville unit for a bell pepper to 5,000 or so for a jalapeno to a whopping 200,000 - 300,000 for a habanero! Pure capsaicin is 15,000,000. The oleoresin capsicum used in a superior pepper spray formula is derived from the hottest peppers and further processed and refined until the heat rating is 5,300,000 (5.3 million!).

I buy the highest SHU spray I can get form the local "police-supply" and also several of the wipes to keep handy as the strong stuff can be rough on the user "under the wrong conditions".

Anything rated 2 million SHU or above is the good stuff, IMO.

Mike

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Try googling for Fox Labs pepper spray.  I believe their spray is around 5 million SHU.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Please be aware that OC does not affect everybody. It is not the end all, be all of less lethal defenses. Taser doesn't always work as well.

My partner and myself used to spray our issued pepper spray on our burgers while at lunch. Freaked people out. It is after all, just a seasoning.

On the other hand, I have seen it sprayed into the radiator of a fleeing vehicle and all the suspects bailed out a few seconds later. We just tagged and bagged after that.

It's kind of like a single gunshot doesn't always put someone down.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Can a civie legally by CS?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
ny's dept of corrections uses  cs gas and it is miserable stuff, they gave us a good dose of it in the academy. it burns everywhere, but it's best to spray in the face or throat area so the vapors drift upward to the eyes and nose. just a couple squirts of that stuff and i've seen cell gangsters come charging outa their cells cryin like babies.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Gall's supply in Ky sell some pretty decent units, Sabre mostly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Please be aware that OC does not affect everybody. It is not the end all, be all of less lethal defenses. Taser doesn't always work as well.

My partner and myself used to spray our issued pepper spray on our burgers while at lunch. Freaked people out. It is after all, just a seasoning.

On the other hand, I have seen it sprayed into the radiator of a fleeing vehicle and all the suspects bailed out a few seconds later. We just tagged and bagged after that.

It's kind of like a single gunshot doesn't always put someone down.

CS is the same way, you can get used to it.  I have seen NBC instructors in the Gas house without a mask with no effects, trainees going through are coughing and crying.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I got CSed in basic.  THAT SUCKED.  It was kind of a fun experience though.  I remember that I always used to say how pussy people were in movies for giving up and running out of a building when they got tear gased.  Wasn't such a bad ass anymore after I took one breath of that shit!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yeah I got CSed in basic.  THAT SUCKED.  It was kind of a fun experience though.

What?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#14]
good on wings to!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
good on wings to!

Oh, that's just nasty.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Also keep in mind that some brands of OC are flamable.

We recently had a shooting in our area where two officers sprayed a suspect with OC (emptied both cans) and it had no effect on the suspect.  They then used a taser (which had little effect) and the suspect burst into flames.  He still kept fighting and was able to rip one of the officers weapons from its holster,  forcing the other officer to shoot and kill him.
The spray we had at the time was FOX Labs. and it was brutal.  It peeled some peoples skin, it was so strong.  Our new spray sucks....but supposedly isn't flamable.  Apparently, the FOX spray had butane or something in it as a propellant....ooops!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top