Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 10:22:27 PM EDT

www.brocktonmass.com/news/publish/5000344.shtml

Woman referred to zoo for MRI

May 23, 2005, 11:11

NEW YORK, May 23 (UPI) -- A 407-pound New York woman claims she is suffering severe pain because her obesity leaves her unable to get proper medical attention.

Jennifer Walters, who is bed-ridden and cannot walk because of excessive weight, told the New York Post because she cannot fit into a magnetic resonance imaging machine, a doctor said she should go to the Bronx Zoo for an X-ray.

"It's humiliating. I was told if elephants and hippos need MRIs, they have the equipment at the Bronx Zoo. It was like I was an animal," Walters told the Post.

Walkers said she has "excruciating" pain in her back and legs. The Post said one of the doctors Walters said made the zoo suggestions said he "used to do it, but I don't think we do it anymore."

New York politicians have recently called for an end of what they termed medical discrimination against obese people.

For the record, the Bronx Zoo told the Post it gets about a dozen such calls a year but it doesn't have such facilities for its animals.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#1]
i mean wtf.. you aint gonna fit a 1" peg into an 1/2" hole without dire results.  He cared enough to tell her where he thought she could get an mri.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
In CA the state would build an MRI machine for her.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't even think she will fit in the open MRI
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
She must have been eating like a goddamn animal.  And she's offended?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:03:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Life sucks when you're too fat to fit through a doorway, or into an airline seat, or onto an exam table.  Not much the doctor can do about it if you're too big to go through the donut hole in the MRI.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#8]
This thread is useless without pics!
Wait, what am I saying!?!?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:19:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Life sucks when you're too fat to fit through a doorway, or into an airline seat, or onto an exam table.  Not much the doctor can do about it if you're too big to go through the donut hole in the MRI.

Ain't that what these are for?

CW
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:44:30 AM EDT
[#10]
And watch our insurance premiums jump when they pass a law that states that all medical facilities must buy special equipment for these land whales.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#11]
It was like I was an animal," Walters told the Post.

HELLO?!?!? We ALL are. People just cannot take the definition.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:02:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Life sucks when you're too fat to fit ...into an airline seat...

not just for you but also for the folks around you.  
flying back from Detroit on business with a buddy our flight got canceled and we went to the bar for a few drinks.
we got another flight 737-300 and he got the window.  i got the isle and the plane loaded with no one in the middle.  as the doors were shutting one of the largest women i have ever seen walks down the isle.  she was huge.  oversized flower print smock stunk like cheep perfume and yep, she got the middle.  well her bags have to be checked because there is no room in the ovhd.  so she asks for a seatbelt extension and my buddies says bring two.  it pissed the lady off.  i got up.  she "sat" down.  really she tried to wedge herself in place.  but i don't think her ass hit the seat the entire time.  i am half in the isle and my buddies is wedged againsed the window.  she takes both arm rests.  we get a weather delay over Houston so i get up to pee.
on my way back i notice he's sweating.  i sit down and can't see him so i lean forward and ask him what's wrong.  all he says is shut up.  finally we deplane and unload and he walks immediately to the bathroom.  seems he's been holding a 6 pack for about 5 hours and almost pissed his pants.      
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:08:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Airwolf!

I was just looking at my spare 30 lbs the other day.

I keep forgetting, its all about perspective. I am anorexic.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:10:49 AM EDT
[#14]
pain in the legs eh?- maybe the 1/4 ton of weight on them is causing some slight discomfort....
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:13:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"It's humiliating. I was told if elephants and hippos need MRIs, they have the equipment at the Bronx Zoo. It was like I was an animal," Walters told the Post.

Here's a hint: PUT DOWN THE FUCKING
TWINKIE.

As a former fatass, I now HATE uppity
fat people.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks Airwolf!

I was just looking at my spare 30 lbs the other day.

I keep forgetting, its all about perspective. I am anorexic.

I've dumped about 50 pounds since last fall (10 more to go to reach my first goal of 230).

I bounced up 3 pounds last week after having a "cheat weekend" and it totally bummed me out.  Got rid of it but seeing stories like this just never cease to amaze me, the fact that people can allow themselves to go completely to shit and then have the audacity to bitch at the world when it refuses to kiss their fat asses.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:40:53 AM EDT
[#17]
It's not just MRI's...

GIANT TOILETS FOR ENORMOUS PEOPLE

The U. S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that 30% of Americans are obese and another 34% are overweight, making almost two-thirds of the population obese or overweight. These numbers have doubled since 1980. Just as alarming is the fact that 3% of the population is now morbidly obese (more than 100 lb. overweight), a number that has quadrupled since 1980.

"The obese now represent the most populous group of people in the U.S.," points out Bruno Kordic, marketing and sales director for the Great John Toilet Co., which is based in Monterrey, Mexico. "If they ever organized, they could elect their own president every time."

Hillary's pretty plump... hmmm

"Hospitals are telling us that some of their obese patients weigh as much as 600 lb.," reports Sandy Wise, senior director/medical services.

One frequent remodeling feature relates to commodes. More hospitals are switching to floor-mounted commodes, which can accommodate heavier individuals.

"Wall-mounted commodes can accommodate patients and visitors up to about 250 lb.," Wise explains. "If someone who is heavier than that uses these commodes, they may come off the wall."

Yikes!

Check out other things hospitals have to do for the obese...

National Institute of Health (NIH) estimates show that 64 million adults in the U.S. suffer from obesity, defined as having a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more, the same number who also are affected by cardiovascular disease. In contrast, 2005 budget estimates predict NIH spending of $440 million dollars on obesity vs. the $2.4 billion it plans to spend on cardiovascular disease.

The prevalence of the morbidly obese, those 100 lbs. over their ideal weight, has increased from 2.9 percent to 4.7 percent.1 Sandy Wise, RN, MBA, senior director of medical and surgical services at group purchasing organization Novation, notes that facilities are reporting heavier bariatric patients. "I’m hearing that we’re seeing more patients over 1,000 lbs. And we’ve had several member hospitals that have had patients at 1,200 lbs." According to a 2004 follow-up obesity survey by Novation of its VHA hospital members2, 64 percent of respondents saw an increase in admissions of severely obese patients who were more than 100 pounds overweight. And a full 90 percent of these obese patients are being seen in emergency departments. "That’s very important when you talk about having adequate supplies because these people are just presenting to the ER, so you don’t have any pre-planning," said Wise. "You don’t know they’re coming, and they could show up at any ER. And that’s why all facilities need to have at least some basic equipment."

An even more startling statistic from the Novation survey: 53 percent of pediatric patients are obese. Without proper treatment, these children will likely become obese adults. Also, some 15 million older adults over the age of 51 are obese, representing one in four older adults, according to the Center for An Aging Society at Georgetown University in Washington, DC.

Klein notes that TSK recently added a line of bariatric floor-mounted toilets due to customer demand. Most hospital toilets are wall-mounted, he explains, which are not designed to carry a lot of weight. "We found a company that manufacturers a floor-mounted toilet that’s designed to handle 2,000 lbs. and has a wide seat," he said.  

2,000 Pounds???
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a hint: PUT DOWN THE FUCKING
TWINKIE.

As a former fatass, I now HATE uppity
fat people.

Ain't that the truth!
I'm not small by any means, but I have NO pity for anybody that weighs 400 pounds or more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top