Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2005 8:31:39 PM EDT
I picked up a new lap top on Saturday night.  well Norton anti virus was giving me issues with some program I installed.  So I took off Norton, and other Systematic programs.  I cant remember what ones.

Did a reboot, then I was not able to connect to either my neighbors WIFI(Yes he Knows), or my Router.

Well I decides a system restore would solve it.

All it did was get me on the WIFI.

A message bubble titled "Local Area Connection".  Tells me,
"This connection has limited or no connectivity.  you might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. For more info, click this message."

So when I do that, it gives me the option to "REPAIR".

I tried that and when it try's to renew the IP address it stops.

Gives me the following message,
Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed.  Renewing your IP Address.  See your network manager

It shows the connection to have a speed of 100Mbps.  So it does see the router.  Just no IP address and such
I have unplugged the Cable modem and the router also.

I am at a loss.

TIA

Mike
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed. Renewing your IP Address. See your network manager"

Your neighbor's router or your router have to be set to act as a DHCP host. Your laptop has to be set as a DHCP client. Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is how the router's will assign your laptop an IP address and a proper matching subnet mask.

This is step one in getting onto a network so if you can't do that it's a non-starter.

Are you going to make me remember where the DHCP settings are?

Thanks for the direction.  Ill look for the DHCP settings.  I saw them as i was looking at all the Networking stuff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
PS: if you've just added the router to your network make sure that it's getting a valid IP address from your ISP by logging into it - yikes, that's done with TCP/IP isn't it?

Ok so reboot your cable/DSL modem, then reboot your router, and then finally reboot your Window's machine. In theory your cable/DSL modem should get the IP address from your ISP and give it to the router which will act as a DHCP server and host an IP to your computers - doing NAT - Network Address Translation to convert your internal IP addresses to the valid external one that the ISP leases you.

Confused?

Let me try the above again.

I am not finding the DHCP setting....
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
PS: if you've just added the router to your network make sure that it's getting a valid IP address from your ISP by logging into it - yikes, that's done with TCP/IP isn't it?

Ok so reboot your cable/DSL modem, then reboot your router, and then finally reboot your Window's machine. In theory your cable/DSL modem should get the IP address from your ISP and give it to the router which will act as a DHCP server and host an IP to your computers - doing NAT - Network Address Translation to convert your internal IP addresses to the valid external one that the USP leases you.

Confused?

Let me try the above again.

I am not finding the DHCP setting....

Did all that still not getting IP address from router.

I'm getting a linksys all in one tomorrow.  The kind with a modem, and WIFI.

Maybe that will solve this issue.  I don't plan on having the laptop connected to a LAN at all.  Just would be nice to Be able to if needed....
Anymore Ideas?

This is what I love about this site.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I bypassed the router and connected this computer in to the Modem directly.  That worked.

Ill now try it through the router....

Fingers crossed

ETA:

Working through the router didn't work.  Must be something with that router, who knows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top