Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2005 1:54:47 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about starting up a lawn care service after work.  I've got way too big of a lawn mower for my yard, and want it to start making me some money.

My question for you is how much would you pay to have your lawn mowed.

I'm thinking of a three tier system.  Small yards get a base price, medium a little higher, large lawns more, and then the most for commercial lots.

Any ideas shared would be greatly appreciated, I wan't to give the customers a fair price while still paying myself for the time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Calculate your COG (cost of goods), including gas, oil, transportation to jobs, how many lawns you can do before you need an overhaul and overhaul cost, miscellanious expenses, etc. Then charge 2-3 times COG.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not in the business, but I would guess you should get prices for your lawn from other lawn care businesses you area. Also, will your prices include shrub/flower/trees? I got a quote of 225.00 month for my front, two sides and it includes the shrubs/flowers. My neighbor only pays 110.00 for the same service, but she has them for seven years.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Calculate your COG (cost of goods), including gas, oil, transportation to jobs, how many lawns you can do before you need an overhaul and overhaul cost, miscellanious expenses, etc. Then charge 2-3 times COG.

+1

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I pay $25 each time the lawn guy comes and I have a medium size lawn.  
He comes every 2 weeks during spring, summer and fall months and every 3 weeks during winter months (this is south Florida).  He come and cuts the grass and the edging, trims the hedges, blow the cuttings away, cut off dead palm leaves and spread Scotts weed and feed 4 times per year.  He's been doing it for past 5 or 6 years.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep it simple, say $20 an hour x how long it takes. No need to get technical.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
send me an email - I will send you a break even worksheet.  Honestly - That is the only way to figure pricing and the "should I do this" business formula.

Easy Peasy!!!

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top