Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 8:21:19 AM EDT
I've got a guy from Pennsylvania that's in Arizona.  He's a PA resident and wants to ship six guns down here.

I'm a FFL.

Can I legally receive and then transfer his guns to him?  He's not a state resident but they're already his guns.....

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#1]
If they're already his guns, he can just take them with him to AZ, regardless or whether he is moving there permanently or he is just traveling, so long as the guns are all legal to posess in AZ (and I assume AZ doesn't have any stupid laws like that). If he wants to ship them, he can just have them shipped, so long as the package is sent from his name and address in PA to his name and address in AZ. I think FFL's are only required for interstate shipments from one person to another.

EDIT: I'm not a lawyer or a legal scholar, so don't take my word for it. Give the local JBT field office a call and ask about the situation. Much as I hate to deal with them, my experience with this sort of thing is that they are actually very helpful in answering these types of questions.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#2]
AZ has no restrictions against importing one's personal firearms.  Your friend should ship them from PA to himself, not to anyone else.

I'm not a lawyer either.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Thirding. Shipping from self to self is Legal. It's not a 'Transfer'.

Also Not A Lawyer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup, problem is that he was left them in a will.  I guess his PA dealer won't release them except to another dealer or to him on a 4473.

It doesn't make sense to me either...  

Mike
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yup, problem is that he was left them in a will.  I guess his PA dealer won't release them except to another dealer or to him on a 4473.

It doesn't make sense to me either...  

Mike

If he was left them in a will, why are the guns currently in a dealer's posession? Wouldn't inheritance of firearms be just an FTF transfer? Sounds like this guy is making things extra hard on himself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top