Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2005 6:48:41 AM EDT
My mothers rifle, a Browning semi-auto 22L, has come to live with me, what is it good for?  
Is it worth anything?  I'd rather have a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Rifle Answer: Small game hunting.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#2]
It was worth enough to your mother to give to her son

SGHatr15
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]

.22 rifles are GREAT for practicing, and getting better at shooting, trigger pull, etc. - at low cost.

Don't know what it is worth, but I'd never consider selling a firearm that a parent gave to me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

SGHatr15

Well, I am her daughter, it was actually never given to anyone, but my brother had it, gave it to me, I gave it to my son, now he has given it back to me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGHatr15

Well, I am her daughter, it was actually never given to anyone, but my brother had it, gave it to me, I gave it to my son, now he has given it back to me.

SgtAR:  owned
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#6]
im me if you want to sell it
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGHatr15

Then place it next to the stove.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Perfect for squirrels, rabbits, crows and starlings.  Use the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGHatr15

Then place it next to the stove.

SGatr15

For grilled cheese?  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Perfect for squirrels, rabbits, crows and starlings.  Use the shit out of it.

+1. Plinking and all of the above.

Those little Browning autos are sweet.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Worthless,and worse yet,DANGEROUS.Forward it to me ASAP,for proper disposal.
And make me a grilled cheese sammich!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Worthless,and worse yet,DANGEROUS.Forward it to me ASAP,for proper disposal.
And make me a grilled cheese sammich!

Well, I was just thinking I was needing to be submissive and all.......

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Browning firearms, particularly their .22s will always have value.  How much depends on condition, model, age, and use.  The .22 rimfire round is cheap to shoot, accurate out to about 150 yards and certainly great for informal target shooting, small game hunting and even defense in a pinch.  The Brownings however are classics.  They are a high end product and in good condition can command a premium price.  I would not however view selling it as an option as your son or some day grandson will strongly regret its loss.  This is one of those things that rightly should become a family heirloom.

If you want a .22 pistol, spend $200 or so on a Ruger .22 or Browning Buckmark and keep the rifle.  If it is older it would be worth far more than that and its centimental value puts it even higher as a keeper.

What he said +a bunch. When I was in middle school (circa 1972) those little break apart Browning autos were legendary (modern= the bomb). KEEP IT....shoot it...don't shoot it, but whatever you do....take good care of it. I have one in mint condition chambered for 22 short only, and I'd rather lose a testicle than that gun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Browning firearms, particularly their .22s will always have value.  How much depends on condition, model, age, and use.  The .22 rimfire round is cheap to shoot, accurate out to about 150 yards and certainly great for informal target shooting, small game hunting and even defense in a pinch.  The Brownings however are classics.  They are a high end product and in good condition can command a premium price.  I would not however view selling it as an option as your son or some day grandson will strongly regret its loss.  This is one of those things that rightly should become a family heirloom.

If you want a .22 pistol, spend $200 or so on a Ruger .22 or Browning Buckmark and keep the rifle.  If it is older it would be worth far more than that and its centimental value puts it even higher as a keeper.

What he said +a bunch. When I was in middle school (circa 1972) those little break apart Browning autos were legendary (modern= the bomb). KEEP IT....shoot it...don't shoot it, but whatever you do....take good care of it. I have one in mint condition chambered for 22 short only, and I'd rather lose a testicle than that gun.

Thanks for info, and WoW, if it worth a testicle, I should probably keep it!  It is pre 1956.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for info, and WoW, if it worth a testicle, I should probably keep it!  It is pre 1956.

No....it isn't pre 1956.....but then, neither is my testicle!! I'll keep them both anyway!

But of course your pre 56 testicle is worth much more!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No....it isn't pre 1956.....but then, neither is my testicle!! I'll keep them both anyway!

But of course your pre 56 testicle is worth much more!!!!!!!

Actually, I will never have a testicle, and 56 should have been 65...but I called Browning, which I should have done in the first place, and it is 1965 on the nose according to the serial number.  

Now, I need to go shoot something.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top