Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 5:50:03 AM EDT
I am 29 years old and while I am not a marathon runner, I am in moderately good shape. I lift weights 2-3 times a week and walk for 1 hour 2-3 times a week for cardio. Lately, when working out, I get extremely dizzy (like I am going to pass out) and feel very nauseated. This is something that just started about 2 weeks ago and I have not changed anything with my workout. I get up about 6:45, eat a bowl of oatmeal or protein shake, have a cup of coffe with splenda and hit the gym 15-20 minutes later. I usually do upper body, rest one day (I do cardio on my off days)followed by lower body. I do 3 sets for each body part and usually do 3 different exercises. I rest for 1-2 minutes in between sets. My total workout is usually under an hour. I thought it might have been my Blood pressure but when I had it checked it was 138/88.
Does anyone have any idea what it might be or can anyone suggest a board where I might get an answer? Thanks

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#1]
three words: SEE A DOCTOR!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#2]
dehydrated.. you might be.

drink more water.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to middle age.  

It'll only get more fucked up from this point forward.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree about the doctor.  I've seen people have trouble because they hold their breath and not even be aware that they're doing it, especially as their workouts get gradually more intense.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Lack of oxygen to the brain?  If your breathing is fine, I'd make sure you don't have any arterial blockages.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Orthostatic hypotension.  Get a tilt test done.

(google )
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Does this happen when you start to workout, mid-workout or towards the end?

My first guess is that you are not breathing properly.  NEVER, EVER, EVER hold your breath or skip breath while working out.  You can blow a vessel (very bad), have an aneurism (worse) or embolize a lung (never good and extremely painful).  

While working out, your body needs tremendous amounts of oxygen.  Holding your breath deprives the lungs of oxygen and the nausea you experience is the body's way of stopping you from doing what you are doing and forcing in air.  When you get nauseous, you tend to stop and take deep breaths, replenishing the O2 your body is craving.

Either that our you have a blocked artery and are about to either stroke out or have a heart attack.

What do I know...I play on ARFCOM all day.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#8]
High blood pressure?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#9]
eat meat
drink gatorade
drink H20
see a doctor
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Get your blood pressure checked.

Not just talking about once.  6 times about 15 minutes apart.  

Also drink plenty of water.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Have your PCP make an appointment for you with a cardiologist and get a Thallium stress test.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:20:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Who needs a doctor when you have such a valuable source of information right here on ARFCOM.

My official ARFCOM diagnosis.... Positional Vertigo. Drink a beer and relax. Everything is ok.

NOTE: I am not a doctor, I just play one on ARFCOM.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Put sugar in the coffee instead of Splenda.  A little sugar always helps me keep my blood sugar up.  For the past few years (I'm old), I've just ended-up drinking sweet tea before and while working-out.  It's the only way I can keep my blood sugar level high enough to keep from feeling dizzy.  Get your blood sugar level checked before and after working-out if you think this could be the problem.

Going to see a doctor is probably a waste of time.  All of the people I know that have had trouble while lifting weights were told to stop lifting by the doctor.  My wife's doctor is convinced that lifting weights does not make you stronger.  A couple of the people I know that were told to quit by doctors later competed nationally in power lifting and another became an 8-time Mr. Olympia.  I've heard all of them talk about how their doctors wanted them to stop working out.z
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#14]
It doesn't really sound like a sugar imbalance but that would have been my first guess.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#15]
drink some water, watch what your eating.  hows your previous health? any history?  meds?  It wouldnt hurt to see a doctor just incase.  

eta: sure would suck to have a colon blow like that one weight lifter whos insides shot out his ass!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:25:46 AM EDT
[#16]
see a doctor first. Then try the other ideas. Ya gotta be alive to be in good shape.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

There's the best advice yet.  +1
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I am 29 years old and while I am not a marathon runner, I am in moderately good shape. I lift weights 2-3 times a week and walk for 1 hour 2-3 times a week for cardio. Lately, when working out, I get extremely dizzy (like I am going to pass out) and feel very nauseated. This is something that just started about 2 weeks ago and I have not changed anything with my workout. I get up about 6:45, eat a bowl of oatmeal or protein shake, have a cup of coffe with splenda and hit the gym 15-20 minutes later. I usually do upper body, rest one day (I do cardio on my off days)followed by lower body. I do 3 sets for each body part and usually do 3 different exercises. I rest for 1-2 minutes in between sets. My total workout is usually under an hour. I thought it might have been my Blood pressure but when I had it checked it was 138/88.
Does anyone have any idea what it might be or can anyone suggest a board where I might get an answer? Thanks

Thats high BP for a 29yr old.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#19]
definitely see a doctor, but has anything changed with your diet?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I had the same thing right when I turned 30.

Worked out like I always did, but crashed soon afterward and found myself passed out in front of the elevators of my building.

Staggered into my apartment, dizzy, vision blurred, and basically like "oh, shit, I think I'm fucking dying here..." and once inside, I choked down two tablespoons full of Caro (corn) syrup from the cabinet.   Within about 3 minutes, I was fine.   Doc told me my metabolism had shifted and that my blood suger was off, resulting in severe workouts creating a sort of hypo-glycemic condition.   Now I eat some carbs a couple hours before workouts and I'm fine.   Hasn't happened again.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah it is a little high, but hogh BP shouldn't have any symptoms like nausea and light headedness.  He would be the first I've ever heard of.  I don't trust single BP measurement anyway.  Lots of people's BP goes up when they see a doctor, and they get erronoeously high readings.  Dizziness and nausea could be anything from fluid on the inner ear to hypoglycemia.  He still should see a doctor and not rely on advice from people here.  JMHO
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+3!

My blood pressure wasn't that high until I hit age 40.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
dehydrated.. you might be.

drink more water.

Big plus one here...  I started getting what you describe during PT sessions with ROTC.  Started drinking more water in the morning and eating some sugar rich snacks.  It seems to have stopped the symptoms but I still get sick every once and a while.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not "high" its elevated.  This is why you need to go to a doctor.  They will tell you the difference.

I know because mine generally stays around 136/80 and i'm 22.  And before you call me a lazy fat ass, i'm a Marine so your wrong.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#25]
It happens within 5-10 minutes after ending my work-out. I could barely walk out to my car and thought I was going to have to call for a ride home. That is how dizzy I felt. As one poster said...I had blurred vision as well. It was really scary. I don't have health insurance so the chance of an office visit is out of the question right now...as is not working out. I don't hold my breath and am always aware of my breathing and I drink between 24 and 32 ounces of water during my workout. Wonder if a Snickers bar immediately after exercising might help. I have never had low blood sugar but that is what it sounds like.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
drink some water, watch what your eating.  hows your previous health? any history?  meds?  It wouldnt hurt to see a doctor just incase.  

eta: sure would suck to have a colon blow like that one weight lifter whos insides shot out his ass!

I am healthy. Only meds are allergy stuff (allegra-D, flonase). This was a sudden onset. I have never had this problem before.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Did you ever consider youre just a wuss?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Did you ever consider youre just a wuss?

Nope
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I am healthy. Only meds are allergy stuff (allegra-D, flonase). This was a sudden onset. I have never had this problem before.

Could be the Allegra-D it contains pseudoephedrine which will elevate your BP some.  You should buy your own BP cuff etc. and take and record your BP at different times of the day.  I have a digital one because my wife has a heart problem.  My BP during the day is typically 122/78 and near bedtime its been as low as 110/58 and I'm 35yrs old and about 25lbs overweight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top