Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2005 1:40:42 AM EDT
does anyone have a handheld sandblaster like thiswww2.northerntool.com/product-1/31823.htm

I was looking for a sandblaster and would like to know what kind to go with, without breaking the bank and that would really blast away at something.   I already have a 125 psi compressor.  
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of these
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=30979
works okay.
Nothing fancy. It brings down the compressor pretty fast though.
works okay. Depending on what you are blasting, it could take a while.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one of the HF ones.  Use dry fine sand.  I used it to strip a G-17 slide.   It worked OK but it is hard on the compressor and the hands.  It did what I wanted it to do so I am satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you think the hand units will strip platinum nickel or chrome off of golf clubs or small parts. Thanks for the replys
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably not.  I had to work at it for a while to strip the park off of the Glock.  It took a little bit longer to get the finish some what even too.  If you are looking to do some serious sand blasting buy good equipment because if you buy cheap now you will buy good later.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
does anyone have a handheld sandblaster like thiswww2.northerntool.com/product-1/31823.htm

I was looking for a sandblaster and would like to know what kind to go with, without breaking the bank and that would really blast away at something.   I already have a 125 psi compressor.  
Thanks

how big is the tank????

i use a model T-10 ingersol rand with a 60 gallon tank and a 5hp motor that puts out around 100+ PSI constant.  that baby can handle anything.

if you have a similar setup you will be fine with what ever you choose.

ive got one of those gravity fed jobs from harbor freight too. although i havent tried it yet. I looks like a pretty stout critter for very small jobs.

But i do have one of their $100 dollar bright red self contained sand plasting cabinets.

the chi com gun pooped out rather fast and i ended up jury rigging another  gun to it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do you think the hand units will strip platinum nickel or chrome off of golf clubs or small parts. Thanks for the replys

prob could but might take you a while
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably be cheaper to take them to a plating shop and have them reverse the electro-plating process.  I think that this is to tough a job in many ways for the inexpensive units.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably be cheaper to take them to a plating shop and have them reverse the electro-plating process.  I think that this is to tough a job in many ways for the inexpensive units.

Agreed... Especially for a firearm, considering sandblasting is NOT an exact science and may cause tolerances to loosen up some.

Were it me, I'd take it to a plating shop.  You'll get a much better result and less potential for damage.  They'll just dunk it in the tank and strip the nickel right off in short order.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
THanks for all the advise, Ive been taking small parts to work and stuff and useing their sandblaster, that sucker is a hoss. I would like to get one for my house. I will have to see what size tank I have on mine.  I will also check the phone book to see if there are any plating places close to me. Thanks again and if anyone else has any ideas please say. Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top