Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2005 6:56:20 PM EDT
Today I found some stray kittens in my cable box and brought them inside for the time being, Just so they wouldn't chew on the wires. There are 4 kittens. 2 twins 1 fat one, and a tiger stripe. the twins and the fat one are asshats, they hiss and are unpleasant. The tiger strip one is fine and likes my wife and I. He eats the food we give him and plays with us here and there. All the cats are about 6 weeks old. Now here is my question?

What do I do with these furballs?

My wife wants to keep the tiger strip one because he likes us. Now is that a good idea or bad? He is a stray after all.

the other three I dunno what to do with. Trip the the humane society? vet adoption? I dunno.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want cat(s), keep them.

If you dont want pets, put a sign up that says "Free Kittens".
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Pick one or two to keep, take the rest to the pound or Humane Society to make sure they are either neutered and given homes, or put down.  For the one or ones you keep, take them to a vet, get them tested for FIV and whatever other diseases are in your area, and if they are clean get them spayed/neutered immediately.

Their mother is probably still out there and fertile as can be.  If you could capture her and turn her in too you'd be doing everyone a favor.

On edit - At six weeks they are not yet weaned.  10 weeks is the right time to separate them from mama cat.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I once found about 5 stray kittens.  I called the local animal hippy place.  They sent a fat lady over to my apartment to pick them up and give them proper care.

I sure as hell didn't want them but I wasn't about to abandon them - they were tiny (one died a few hours after we recovered them).
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I dunno about free kittens, the others seem a bit nasty.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Set them out in another box so the momma cat can wean them.  Six weeks is too young, 8 to 10 is about right to separate the kittens from their mother.

Otherwise, you will probably end up with a dumbass cat that didn't get enough education from its mother.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep the stripe and git rid of the rest (to the animal shelter).  Be sure to have it shot (medicine, not bullets) and fixed later.  Put a trap (live) for the mother.  She needs to be fixed too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
keep the one/s you like and get rid of the rest.

Most of the cats my family has had over the years were free, either found them or were given them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
keep one...  You will have a friend for life.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#9]
The Sgt does house calls for such occasions.  Drop him an IM he will be right over.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#10]
How do I contact the Sgt???? Where does he post?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Tigerstrip might be cool.

But I would still take them all to the humane society.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Calling Sgtar!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#13]
We have had a couple of kittens that we bottle fed when their moms died after five weeks. They totally imprint on you since you are the ones nursing them. The most friendly cats we ever had.

I bet after nursing the mean ones would turn around too. I like to raise pets in pairs so they always have someone to play with.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Calling Sgtar??

Does he have a number?

a batsignal?

???
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Don't call him.  It's a trap.

Look for any thread that either started as a religion issue or killing cats or has more than 10 pages of replies.  You'll find him.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#16]
As long as they are far enough along to take care of themselves- I know someone who once found some small kittens, and had to wipe their asses with a wet cloth to promote them being able to shit. Now that's dedication.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#17]
About a month after I separated from my ex I found a very young (roughly 5-6 weeks old) kitten in my dumpster.  It had been chucked in there by some asshole with its litterbox.  I accidentally dumped a Coke on it before I heard its cries.  I found it 10  minutes later covered is cola and clumping kitty litter.

I pulled it out, washed it and spent the next week trying to find it a home. I swore that I would give it to the humane society the next week if I didn't find it a home.

It is now almost a year later and Dumbass (his actual name) is still living in my apartment.

SBG
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#18]
The asscats will change once you start to feed them and they get to know you.  I've seen it done before.   My wife and I found a 6wk old kitten but she was totally friendly and we kept her.  

If you like cats or atleast don't mind them, keep the tiger striped one.  It will probably be very affectionate later.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#19]
The mean ones don't change, in my experience.  The nice ones stay nice.  Internet advice is worth what you pay for it.

G23c
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't call him.  It's a trap.

Look for any thread that either started as a religion issue or killing cats or has more than 10 pages of replies.  You'll find him.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Cats are frickin nasty. I'd rather have my two shit-head dogs than ever have cats again. I hate cleanin litterboxes more than words can describe. I hate waking up feeling like the cat crawled up my nose and shed a pound of fur in my sinuses.

Never again will I have cats.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Mean ones can change.  I know someone whose cat tried dim mak (death touch) by smacking her hard on her hand.  The cat was taken aback that my friend didn't have the dignity or intelligence to fall DRT.  The cat also tried to intimidate my friend with her open paw.  My friend held her closed hand up (out of scratch range), then suddenly opened it, extending her fingers fully.  The cat reeled back, shocked at the bigger paw.  Now the cat has settled down & loves her.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Keep the Tiger stripe one. IMHO 6 weeks isnt too young to keep it, it will just have weak survival slills. Just make it a housecat if possible, if not i say give it to a local shelter. The others may not be accepted by the mother if you return them. Try leaving flyers for adadoption for the other kittens. Believe it or not the human society will most likely euthanize(sp?) the others. So you may prefer to give them away privately. The suggestion for live trapping the mother is a (somewhat) good idea. It will probably be feral. Feral cats almost always get euthanized if brought to a shelter.

Can be heartbreaking. I vote to save the one that likes you. Returning them to the wild will most likely be disastorus. Either way Spay/neuter them/it if you decide to rescue them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Burlap sack,couple of bricks and a pond.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

oh thats mean.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Do what your heart tells ya....

HH
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

If you use a plastic bag, you don't even need the bricks or pond
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Either Human Society or a no-kill shelter.

Often, at big county shelters, the animals get killed pretty damn quickly if they're not adopted.  No-kill shelters are obviously harder to find, but they guarantee that the animals won't be killed.  Kittens are usually pretty easy to adopt out.

Either way - thanks for taking them in!  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Cats are frickin nasty....

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#30]
what ever you do dont feed stray cats! because once you start feeding them they will never go away and they will breed like crazy! I once fed a couple of cats, then within less than a year there were 20 cats in my backyard, they also bring lots of fleas! they were driving my dog crazy because they kept tresspassing in my yard all the time expecting a free meal.

keep one and give the rest to animal control
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
what ever you do dont feed stray cats! because once you start feeding them they will never go away and they will breed like crazy! I once fed a couple of cats, then within less than a year there were 20 cats in my backyard, they also bring lots of fleas! they were driving my dog crazy because they kept tresspassing in my yard all the time expecting a free meal.

We had a guy in my neighborhood who did that.  "Harv" would leave food and water out for the "canyon cats" as they're called here, and they multiplied.  Harv didn't provide any medical care for them at all.

A bunch of us had a talk with Harv.  He doesn't feed strays any more.

BTW - Is that you, Harv?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Make Great Coyote bait... just tie them out along fence row and wait
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#33]
yes keep the tiger stripe 1 if yall like him, but 1 thing about the others, just because they hiss doesn't mean they aren't friendly, that's likely cause they're scared. I've had stray's, adults, that would hiss and hang upside down on the inside of their cage as far away as they could get from me when I'd open it, for weeks, but over time they get better and better and they're loving now.
That's a lot of time and more than you'd put into a cat likely but these are kittens you have and they'd get tame "real" quickly most likely.
At the least take them to a humane society, but also look for some cat rescue place where they don't put cats to sleep.
I'd also hesitate to just give them away cause some mean people sometimes get free animals to be mean to them.
Good luck and God bless.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:10:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Was it hard for you to find your way out of the sack after it hit the bottom of the pond??? Guess someone didn't tie it well enough.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:38:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Well, kittens make great airgun and .22lr target practice at moderate distance because they are so small and you get a lot of bullet drop. Keep 'em around for a few days!

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:41:38 AM EDT
[#36]
If you go to your local humane society or other animal shelter, you will probably be able to get a large, hungry dog. About 15 minutes after you bring it home, cat problem=solved.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:54:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Some studies have been done, and the results showed that you get better results with a spay and release program, rather than just continually taking the animals into the Humane Society. If you just get rid of them, the remaining animals actually increase their birth rate, and fill up the remaining "space" in the local environment. Whereas if you spay them, and release 'em, they help keep other cats from moving in, and help take care of the local critter population.

When I moved into this house, 8 years ago, we had a situation like yours, where the farmer next door was feeding the cats, but not spaying any. No medical care at all. There were more than 25 cats roaming my property, and most were badly inbred and sickly looking. We spayed several, who were more friendly, and took the rest to the Humane society. Big mistake. While the cat population went from 25 to about 5, the local mouse population took off and we had a big problem with mice. And cats started to move back on in from elsewhere.

After reading about those studies, we have been generally spaying them and letting them go. We only feed the ones we want around, and remove any excess food, so as to encourage the others to move on, which unfortunately, they haven't...we have 3 outdoor cats that are regulars, with a couple more occasional visitors. We did adopt some of the friendlier ones, so we have 7 indoor only cats. :)

BTW, at the humane society, they publish yearly numbers of admissions and adoptions.  2/3rds of dogs and 3/4ths of cats are put down. Mostly due to lack of people willing to adopt them. Very sad, and mostly avoidable if people would be a little more responsible about spaying their animals.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:28:05 AM EDT
[#38]
My wife feeds the strays in my area, I hate them, we now have one that lives in my house and another in a shelter outside my house. I really dont like cats. the one that lives outside had kittens like 5-6 weeks ago. So this Mom cat takes 2 of her 3 kittens to our front door, so my wife takes them in. Shes waiting on the third to be brought over. She goes out and buys Kitty formula and food and some wild ass looking kitty activity center for the new arrivals. My oldest daughter is supposed to be watching these critters right ? Well, the two little f------ manage to run into the kitchen and get under the dishwasher, then behind the cabinets !!!! SO I have to remove the dishwasher and I STILL cant get the little shi----- !!! I think they are behind a corner cabinet but I cant see them as they are around the damned corner ! This happened yesterday afternoon, we blocked off the kitchen and put out food and formula but it dont look like they came out at all. Well now my wife is going to buy a roto zip and take out the back of the cabinet and see if she can get at them !!! MY LIFE IS INSANE !!!
And she gets pissed cause Im building an M4
Go figure.
Hey, anyone know how to get a kitten outta the back of your cabinets !
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:55:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Today I found some stray kittens in my cable box and brought them inside for the time being, Just so they wouldn't chew on the wires. There are 4 kittens. 2 twins 1 fat one, and a tiger stripe. the twins and the fat one are asshats, they hiss and are unpleasant. The tiger strip one is fine and likes my wife and I. He eats the food we give him and plays with us here and there. All the cats are about 6 weeks old. Now here is my question?

What do I do with these furballs?

My wife wants to keep the tiger strip one because he likes us. Now is that a good idea or bad? He is a stray after all.

the other three I dunno what to do with. Trip the the humane society? vet adoption? I dunno.

We have 9 cats (yeah yeah, I know - but hey, I like to surround myself with pussy!).  4 were pound adoptees, and the other 5 were strays.  The strays, hands-down, are the BEST.  Very loving, fun to have around, no medical problems.

Give the little guy a try, and take the rest to an adoption center.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a 3 in barrled spud gun I have for special occasions such as launching stray small animals.
Early evening launches are best. Their balance is actually quite goos and they land on all fours, not that it helps them much, they can fly worth a shit.

Lebrew   cat bain
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Scooping cat shit and piss out of a box vs going outside to scoop up dog shit from the yard, plus the joy of walking around on your dogs toilet and tracking dog shit / piss into your house, plus the dog hair too.

Quoted:
Cats are frickin nasty. I'd rather have my two shit-head dogs than ever have cats again. I hate cleanin litterboxes more than words can describe. I hate waking up feeling like the cat crawled up my nose and shed a pound of fur in my sinuses.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Deep lake. That way the big bass or catfish can have a snack.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
As long as they are far enough along to take care of themselves- I know someone who once found some small kittens, and had to wipe their asses with a wet cloth to promote them being able to shit. Now that's dedication.

He could have also licked them.  That's how mama cats do it.

BTW, I'm shocked no one has posted this yet:
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#44]
We had a pregnant cat give birth to three kittens in our backyard.  We have decided to keep them and have mama cat fixed.   They have been a great source of entertainment since.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Take them to the pound
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Scooping cat shit and piss out of a box vs going outside to scoop up dog shit from the yard, plus the joy of walking around on your dogs toilet and tracking dog shit / piss into your house, plus the dog hair too.

Quoted:

Guess there's more than two types of people then... Beatles people, Elvis people, cat people, and dog people... and the various combinations of those four...

I'm just not a cat person as much as a dog person. Come to think of it... after my dogs pass I'll be happy as a no pet person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top