Any one know the name of the stuff
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this like Vapoorize?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is this like Vapoorize?

Lmao no, it's like super glue and it has this aersoel spray shit for spraying the glue to harden it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I know that standard cyanoacrelate(sp?) will not harden for a little while and you can shoot it with stuff called "zip kicker" or any other activator to make it harden instantly.

yes I've glued fingers to model airplanes many times with this wonderful stuff
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Zip Kicker is what you are talking about... Damn cool stuff. Makes it alot weaker, and it gets HOT when it cures so fast. I have caught shit on fire with Zap Kicker and burnt myself a few times...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
just don't spray kicker onto your wet with CA fingers
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#6]
It's amazing how hot the glued area gets and the smoke like fumes that come off when kicker is sprayed on to CA glue.

That reminds me, I need to pick up a bottle of this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]
AlphaCyanoacrylate ("superglue") needs slighly alkaline pH to activate and little moisture.  You can make your own "kicker" or activator/accelerator with a spray mister filled with water and a little baking soda.  Don't ask me proportions, this ain't rocket science.  Just "a little".

The faster superglues are usually the thin, watery types, like "Crazy Glue".  The thicker, gap filling types are usually slower.  

Zap, Carl Goldberg, Hot Stuff all make a range of these glues of various viscosities and relative speed of curing.

There is a "Slow Zap" that the "activator" or accelerator will help.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#8]
You can find large quantities of CA (superglue) and Zip Kicker through woodworking catalogs/sites.

I once saw a bowl turner take a green burl and cut it semi round, then cut a flat on the bottom, take a plywood baseplate, squirt some CA on the baseplate. slap on the green wood and then hit it with a few shots of the Zip Kicker.

He immediately chucked up the baseplate in a lathe at 5000 + rpm and for the next 20 minutes proceeded to turn out a beautiful bowl.  (That sold me! - I bought a bunch for my company's engineering shop from a wood working distributor via mail order)

Knud Olsen - great Finnish woodworker (RIP )

"Zap-A-Gap" was the CA, and "Zip Kicker" was the accellerator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top