Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2005 4:17:16 PM EDT
Saw this movie last night. Absolute mindfuck. I won't say any more about the actual plot so's not to spoil it for you if you want to watch it (and believe me, you want to watch it. It's the only movie I know of that combines an action movie with a philosophical movie. It's like what Pi would have been like if it had people kicking the shit out of eachother).

Could a real-life Fight Club not only work, but be a good idea? I don't mean boxing or judo or fencing or kendo, I mean people really beating the shit out of eachother, the only rules being no shirt, no shoes, no accessories or weapons, and no killing. Granted, very few legislators would even consider allowing it, and it'd have to be kept quiet, and there could not (because it has to be voluntary and not destructive to those who do not want to fight) be anything like Tyler's homework assignments.

But it would allow a release of aggression, and would probably be a spectator sport as well. I realize that you have to be pretty libertarian to think such a thing would be permissible, but I'm wondering if it perhaps could be a good idea. Your opinions?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
what do you think boxing matches are?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#2]
No 'fense, but where ya been. bwah?

We've discussed Fight Club that movie you don't talk about   to death in several posts here as recently as last month.

ETA - WooHoo.. my first IBTP!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what do you think boxing matches are?

Not the same. A boxing match has very rigorous rules, very few ways to attack a person, and padded gloves (okay, they still hurt, but they're padded gloves).
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]
its very relaxing if you do it with people you care about.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#6]
NO WAY!!

It would not work at all.  If you punch someone the way they show in the movie the guy will be out cold and you will have a broken hand.

If you try regular boxing you will get a headache that will not go away, from the tiny concussions they give you all the time.  Getting punched in the head is BAD for you.

I tried to find a fight club to join back in 1995 or so, way before the movie came out.

They best thing I could find was a very heavy duty martial arts club.  The thing that I did not like about it is the way that we never made full contact.  If you did hit anyone with one of those blows you would probably send him to the ER.  We held pads for the other guy to hit.

I guess the closest you could come to a fight club would be regulation style boxing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#7]

I've had enough street fights.
I lost my taste for it and am getting to old and out of shape.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Never been in a real fight have you MagKnightX?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I abstain.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Could a real-life Fight Club not only work, but be a good idea? I don't mean boxing or judo or fencing or kendo, I mean people really beating the shit out of eachother, the only rules being no shirt, no shoes, no accessories or weapons, and no killing. Granted, very few legislators would even consider allowing it, and it'd have to be kept quiet, and there could not (because it has to be voluntary and not destructive to those who do not want to fight) be anything like Tyler's homework assignments.

But it would allow a release of aggression, and would probably be a spectator sport as well. I realize that you have to be pretty libertarian to think such a thing would be permissible, but I'm wondering if it perhaps could be a good idea. Your opinions?

Why or how would this EVER be considered a good idea?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude.... quit watching movies..... in real life, if you hit someone that hard they're going to the hospital.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top