Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2005 12:35:27 PM EDT
My son came to me and said that he had found a bee hive in a tree in our backyard.  I expected a wasp nest, but this swarm is what he had found.  It was just about 5 feet off the ground.  I had used a push lawn mower within 6 feet of this just about 20 minutes earlier.....didn't even notice it.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Some gasoline + a few matches =
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Actually left them alone....they were gone in about 2 hours.  Not a bee to be found.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually left them alone....they were gone in about 2 hours.  Not a bee to be found.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow.

Next time though..

Tannerite!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Kinda like the Brits, looking for a queen to serve.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#6]
If there is construction in your area, that may be what brought them to you. They just stopped there for a while, going to whatever new safe place they can find. BTDT.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If there is construction in your area, that may be what brought them to you. They just stopped there for a while, going to whatever new safe place they can find. BTDT.

Interesting.....there is new construction all around us.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]
....If ever there was a lawful and proper use of Tannerite in a populated area, THIS is it.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys that are saying to kill the bees are fucking nuts.
Bees are good.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
About 10 years ago, I found one of in my front yard one morning in a Eucalyptus Tree near where my truck was parked.

I didn't have time to take pictures.  By the time I got home from work they were gone.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bees are good.

same people who advocate the killing of every non poisonous snake
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bees are good.

I think it's called a Bivuac in Bee handlers terms.  They are all following a new Queen looking for a place to build a Hive.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Bees are good.

While philosophically I agree with you, personal experience has me reaching for the flamethrower. We had a swarm migrating at our ranch earlier this year and they kept invading our cabin through every nook and cranny they could find. One of the little bastards landed on my throat and stung me there for no apparent reason and got my dad too.

Also, it appears that I'm likely allergic to bee stings now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top