Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2005 11:12:52 PM EDT
Just like the title says. Do they make some type of auxiliary antenna that I can mount on my vehicle which will allow me to receive better reception on my T-Mobile V180?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just like the title says. Do they make some type of auxiliary antenna that I can mount on my vehicle which will allow me to receive better reception on my T-Mobile V180?

Got an antenna port?  If so, yes.  Repeaters which do not require a antenna port cannot be used in a vehicle AFAIK.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
BUMP
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen thru-the-glass passive repeaters in the past, ebay's loaded with them.  I'd be a little bit skeptical of them just on principle, and go with a roof-mount magnetic antenna that goes into the antenna jack on the phone.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Snoop around this website.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
The wife works at a cell phone place.  She says buy a MAG MOUNT antenna.  It is a plug in unit, but apparently gives you much better reception.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]

www.ccrane.com

They have two or three different models.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Wilson makes one... They also make ignal boosters
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48491&item=5775556196&rd=1
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Wilson makes a model that REALLY works.
It's the only one worth buying. NOT CHEAP, but it works.
Otherwise I say buy an antenna booster off the homeshooping network for $19.99.
BTW I'm just kidding about the 20 dollar stickers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which one really works? I was looking at their magnetic mounted antenna. Seems I would have to get a new phone since they do not make an adaptor for mine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which one really works? I was looking at their magnetic mounted antenna. Seems I would have to get a new phone since they do not make an adaptor for mine.

Get the TRUCKER antenna, not the magnetic.  It really, really works.  I have it for all of my long 12 hr. plus trips (just to west Texas).  I've done a side by side comparison with someone in my car. We fought over the antenna cable half the way there.

Go here for explanation: wilsonelectronics.com/welcome.htm

I have a 4Runner, but can only mount it to my gear rack (Thule Playpen).  I just run the wire through the back gate and up to the center console. I really like it.

bd

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.alternativewireless.com/cellular-antennas/wilson-antennas/wilson_cellular_amplifiers/index.html

Not sure if this will work on your phone...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What I did is install the Professional HF kit for my V60, and now my V551, and I hunted down the best mobile cellular antenna I could find (look for  3 to 5 db gain).

Best prices for the HF kit is on ebay. About 1/2 Motorola's list price.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#14]
a good external magmount antenna will do the job just fine but if you are in the deep rural areas the amps are simply amazing. I use both and my signal never goes below 3 bars out of 5.
The passive repeater antennas that stick to the windows are useless junk
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a magnetic mount. You will be amazed at how much better your phone works in fringe areas. I have been using one for the last five years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#16]
phew! I thought this was a wardriving thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top