Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/21/2005 8:47:02 PM EDT
OK, we ran a story about this the other day...

"Human skull found in the woods...etc..."

Question is: If you were out on a hike by yourself and found a skull that had obviously
been there a while, would you be tempted to keep it?

and before you freak - I am NOT psycho!! we were just discussing what you would do...

although i did say it would make a good addition to the "collection"...
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
No. I'd turn it over to the Police/Medical coroner.

IBTP   !

Ben
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
If I was alone, and nobody around, I'd have to do a scene from Hamlet,

"Alas, poor Yorrick.  I knew him, Horatio"

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
My old girlfriend's dad found a skull while falconing, and kept it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
nope. I'd note the location the best I could (or more likely use my GPS), leave the skull be and get ahold of the Sheriff's department. Just because it looks like it has been there a while doesn't necessarily mean it has been. It could also be a body to an old unsolved murder, such evidence may finish up the cold case.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't touch it and turn it in
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Make a kick assed Hookah!

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I would remember the spot exactly and lead authorities to it.

Don't want to fuck up a potential crime sceen.

The skull was attached to someone once, someones family. I'd want that mystery solved for the benefit of those who knew that person and never knew what happened to them....and if a crime had been commited, to help get the person responsible.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

<shakes head and walks off looking at the dutchboy "poet">

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I'd contact the police. The last thing I need is a real human skull to go along with my guns and military equipment. I'd never get laid again.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd use it for an ashtray, even though I don't smoke.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't disturb a potential crime scene.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Make a beer mug  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

sick, classy, but sick
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Leave it alone...scared of it haunting me
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#16]
When I was in Israel touring the Garden of Gethsemane, a guy found what looked like a bowl at first, then we realized it was not a bowl and that it was "possibly" part of a human skull.

Whatever it was, he got it through El Al security in Israel and customs at JFK.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Make a bong out of it......
j/k I'd make a cereal bowl out of it instead.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Um ill pass on playing with body parts
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That's not what you said last night........

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Who would be ghoulish enough to want a human skull...?
...!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not what you said last night........

Sgtar15

yeah, but last night I was going by the name megan and in latex.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#23]

No "Buy it Now" option?!?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Nope, turn it in.  First off, its a crime to possess a human skull without licensing and second, its not a fucking novelty, it could be the body to an unsolved crime and could place a: rapist/murderer, murderer/cannibal, pedophile/murderer, sick mother fucking POS behind bars for life.

My final answer is HELLS NO.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd mail the skull to the Box O' Truth!

www.theboxotruth.com
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Was it a preban skull?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

something is rotten in the state of denmark...
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

something is rotten in the state of denmark...

Your just jealous
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:39:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Question is: If you were out on a hike by yourself and found a skull that had obviously

No. What purpose would that serve? Rather macabre, to even consider it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#31]
I would keep it, and make a nice staff.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:48:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd call the police on my cell phone and wait for someone to get there, because I'd assume it's a missing person/murder victim. The thought of keeping it would be there, but I'd never do it.
 I have skulls from a cow, a goat, and a few deer, and almost had a horse skull. I started to pick it up and found that the brain cavity had a wasp nest in it. It was three hours from home so I never made it back to get it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Then you'd better not go to med school.  I pulled the short straw (literally) along with 3 other students and we had to remove the brains from 22 bodies.  The brains were for dissection in our Neuro-anatomy class the next semester.  I've had my fill of skulls.  I'd definitely report it to the police but anonymously.  I wouldn't want to be labelled a 'person of interest'.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Already done that

I'm a student in 2nd year of archeology and finding human remains during digs is rather common.
Mine was a gallo-roman skull from the Ist BC and instead of poor yorrick is was rather "To be or not to be that is the question"

have played baseball with an human kneecap and a tibia too but i'm not very proud of that
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
nope. I'd note the location the best I could (or more likely use my GPS), leave the skull be and get ahold of the Sheriff's department. Just because it looks like it has been there a while doesn't necessarily mean it has been. It could also be a body to an old unsolved murder, such evidence may finish up the cold case.

+1 Yup...and you'd get your name in the papers!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I have enough useless crap laying around the house. Adding a human skull to it would not help.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I would never keep a skull I found.  I only keep the ones I dig up in cemetaries...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#38]
I agree with the crime part of your post, but I dont think its illegal to have a human skull/bones/skeleton, as long as its a medical item, and not american indian remains or unearthed from a grave. At least thats the concensus among people who deal in such items.

Quoted:
Nope, turn it in.  First off, its a crime to possess a human skull without licensing and second, its not a fucking novelty, it could be the body to an unsolved crime and could place a: rapist/murderer, murderer/cannibal, pedophile/murderer, sick mother fucking POS behind bars for life.

My final answer is HELLS NO.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Stick it on a pole in front of your house. Should make a statement to the neighbors.

CW
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Already done that

I'm a student in 2nd year of archeology and finding human remains during digs is rather common.
Mine was a gallo-roman skull from the Ist BC and instead of poor yorrick is was rather "To be or not to be that is the question"

have played baseball with an human kneecap and a tibia too but i'm not very proud of that

A very good friend of mine has several degrees in archaeology, and he got pretty used to finding human remains as well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

and before you freak - I am NOT psycho!! we were just discussing what you would do...

although i did say it would make a good addition to the "collection"...

I'd quit wasting copy and police manpower on the body of some transient that's been dead for ten years, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I'd quit wasting copy and police manpower on the body of some transient that's been dead for ten years, but that's just me.

But, I think recent high-profile cases of child molesters have highlighted that fact that not ALL bodies dumped in the woods are transients and dead prostitutes that nobody cares about.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I cant believe Ebay will let you sell parts of humans that used to have skin and be alive, but not a gun, because it might make you become the part of a human that had skin and be alive.

WTF?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But, I think recent high-profile cases of child molesters have highlighted that fact that not ALL bodies dumped in the woods are transients and dead prostitutes that nobody cares about.  

I agree, but when you 1) spend an untold amount of taxpayer money to send an old-ass skull from OR to FL to have it "forensically reconstructed", 2) spend more taxpayer money to have a clay model made of what the vic supposedly looked like, then 3) bring it back to OR and pay some officers to show it around town, just to have some people say "Oh, we recognize him. He was a transient that was here for a week or so in the early 90's" I'd sign off on death by misadventure and leave it to the cold case volunteer unit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Uses for skulls I find:

Salad bowl
Chip Dip bowl
Soup Bowl
Chili bowl
Hood Ornament
Door knocker
Battle Helmet for my pet Bulldog-Lulabelle
Mint dish on the entry way table
Halloween decoration
Coin tray for my dresser
potpouri dish for wife
Scotch goblet
Bowl- for all the pieces of bullet and shells I find working in the city.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Same here.  I'd also step back out of the area in the same prints as I came in, if possible, in order to preserve the crime scene...if that is what it was.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Would look cool as a hood ornament on my baby blue Isuzu Amigo!

Why can I see you driving down the road in said skull adorned, blue Isuzu singing "Amiiiigo, Amiiiigo"???
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Keep it. Throw it under your buddies truck seat and then drop a dime on him and watch the circus.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top