Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/21/2005 7:11:06 PM EDT
Should I let her go to Cali (Rodondo Beach) for 3 months for a Physical therapy internship for grad school, Or should I tell her to choose a place closer to home? Or maybe on the east coast were my parents and friends live. Thing is her friend wants to go to Cali, and has no one to go with, so my wife wanted to go with her because she has never been to the west coast before. Thoughts??
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Let her go and experience life behind enemy lines.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Let her go and experience life behind enemy lines.

Yeah, just hope to god she dosent enjoy it
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Other than her being subjected to Liberal BS, I bet she would enjoy a visit to Occupied Amerika.  Make sure to give her the standard issue tinfoil hat.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Tell her to say hi to the Don Of Alameda for me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
<arfcom response>

Lawyer up now!

</arfcom response>
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as you are confident that she will come back. Considering that she is your wife, I assume that you are.

I was stationed in California for 3.5 years, ending in 2003, and had a resonably good time, despite the need to learn Spanish and live without cool guns.

Let her go.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Should I let her go to Cali (Rodondo Beach) for 3 months for a Physical therapy internship for grad school

I've been there many times. It's right on the beach, in the summer months it's a lot cooler than the inland areas, and in the winder it is a warmer. The South Bay areas of So. Calif.(of which Redondo Beach is part of) has some pretty expensive real estate.

Be forewarned, she may want to drag you to the Golden State.

Also we do have earthquakes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#12]
[Shawshank Redemption]Do you trust your wife?[/Shawshank Redemption]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool.  Let her go.  A prime opportunity for some personal time for the both of you.  Plus, it's what she prefers, so you should be supportive.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to go to California all the time. Everytime I went, I'd take 2000 dollars cash. One day my wife said she was going to California by herself, and she needed 2000 dollars cash. I asked her why she needed the cash and she said that whenever I went I took 2000 dollars cash. I still didn't get it, I said. "You don't drink, and you have your own p*ssy!"
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#15]
One word: mistake
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#16]
My dad grew up in California in the 50s and 60s.  Moved away to college and never went back.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<arfcom response>

Lawyer up now!

</arfcom response>

+1

This will end.

Badly.

yep.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
[Shawshank Redemption]Do you trust your wife?[/Shawshank Redemption]

Doesn't matter, most of the men there are gay.

GR
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#19]
If you let her go.. She will not come back.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#20]
A short term stay in SoCal could be nice, any time of the year.  Redondo Beach is a nice place.

Just don't get attached to the place.  You don't want to stay and you can't afford it anyway.

ETA: Comments about her needing to learn Spanish are BS.  I live in a goddamn barrio in northern San Diego and I get along just fine speaking our superior language.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay, I'm not trying to scare ya' or anything but there is something in California DIVORCE law that states that in order for you to file for divorce you have to have maintained a residence in the state for three months.

Would this mean that she could stick you for CA divoce laws? I don't know. But it's kind of a coincidence, huh?

I may be just a bit gunshy right now due to my recent CA divorce. So there may be nothing to it, but...
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#23]
3 mos? The SUMMER in SOCAL??
Doomed. DOOMED I say.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Tell her to stay away from strange men looking for sammiches
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:53:35 PM EDT
[#25]

+

+

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
ETA: Comments about her needing to learn Spanish are BS.  I live in a goddamn barrio in northern San Diego and I get along just fine speaking our superior language.

As long as you gots the dineros, you will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#27]
This is not good.

If she really cared about keeping your relationship healthy, she wouldn't go.

If she does go, she has already proven her own wants, along with her friend, are more important than your marriage.  And that's before she even steps off the plane, for three months in sunny Southern California, with a friend who is presumably single.

Not good at all.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#28]
"It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there"
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:06:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This is not good.

If she really cared about keeping your relationship healthy, she wouldn't go.

If she does go, she has already proven her own wants, along with her friend, are more important than your marriage.  And that's before she even steps off the plane, for three months in sunny Southern California, with a friend who is presumably single.

Not good at all.

I agree - to hell with what her friend wants - what about your marriage???? If she goes, I predict divorce looming in your future....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:26:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I think it's a bad idea. Is it really fair of her to expect her husband to miss her for THREE MONTHS while she enjoys the Mother of all Girls Night Out?

I'd say that things are worse between you two than you think if she's even considered asking you. Nobody likes their girlfriend enough to the point that they would leave their husband for three months to save the friend from being alone. Any GOOD wife wouldn't want to be away from her man for 3 months.

I think she'll go and not want to come back. That was my experience.

Dave

ETA: Let her go-you are just delaying the inevitable. Or, tell her you won't stop her from going-but she won't have a husband to come "home" to.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Oh fer crissakes let her go.  If you knew how many 19yo hotties there are on Redondo Beach in the summer you'd know how far back on the list your wife is.  Would you rather bang a 19 year old in Redondo Beach or would you rather shoot one off in your wife?  Ask anybody but you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:44:37 AM EDT
[#32]
California is like any other place.  What's with all the paranoia here?  If you are worried she will cheat, or not come back, then you should get a divorce anyway.  Give it a rest.

Cheers
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:38:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I think it's a bad idea. Is it really fair of her to expect her husband to miss her for THREE MONTHS while she enjoys the Mother of all Girls Night Out?

I'd say that things are worse between you two than you think if she's even considered asking you. Nobody likes their girlfriend enough to the point that they would leave their husband for three months to save the friend from being alone. Any GOOD wife wouldn't want to be away from her man for 3 months.

I think she'll go and not want to come back. That was my experience.

Dave

ETA: Let her go-you are just delaying the inevitable. Or, tell her you won't stop her from going-but she won't have a husband to come "home" to.

Agree 100% The question has to be asked .... Why would a person want to leave their spouse for 3 months ?? Is she saying that the ONLY place in this entire country she can get an internship is Ca. ?

Come on thats a bit of a stretch isnt it ?

One other thing , do you have children? either way its a dead issue for me but if you had kids its even worse.

good luck
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Let her go.  She'll be happy to be back.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd suggest the both of you call Dr. Laura now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Should I let her go to Cali (Rodondo Beach) for 3 months for a Physical therapy internship for grad school, Or should I tell her to choose a place closer to home? Or maybe on the east coast were my parents and friends live. Thing is her friend wants to go to Cali, and has no one to go with, so my wife wanted to go with her because she has never been to the west coast before. Thoughts??

I'd tell her it's a great opportunity and to have fun.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Some of the finest physical therapy programs in the country are right here in MI, so that should raise one heck of a flag.

Let her go. While she is gone, move the guns to a trusted friends home, and lawyer up. Divorce is harsh on the male of the species here in MI. Use those 3 months wisely.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#41]
More than half of all marriages end in divorse. There is also infidelity in more than half of all marriages.  Married women who work outrside the home are more likely to cheat than married men.

So odds are greater than not that you will either get divorced or she will cheat.

If her career is so important that she most move away for 3 months, then you need to go with her.  Splitting up the marraige is simply not an acceptable relationship option.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#42]
I live right next to Redondo Beach.  If she needs anything, feel free to contact myself or my wife (I am happily married, btw), we would be more than happy to help out the best we can.  I personally would say no to my wife, but we have a 7yo daughter that would be lost without her.

RB is a long way to go for an "internship"...  

Eric  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#43]
3 months?

wtf?

First off if you have a job and there are kids she shouldn't be going farther then the supermarket.

So the answer is no, hell no, and fucking hell no and  get me a sammich woman!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#44]
LET her? TELL her?  You make her decisions for her?

If you trust her, what is the issue.  If you don't, why are you with her.  If she is inclined to do something, you won't be able to prevent it by ordering her.  She will jsut do it behind your back.  If she wants to go and doesn't because of you, she will resent you and it will cause problems.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<arfcom response>

Lawyer up now!

</arfcom response>

+1

This will end.

Badly.

yep.

+5

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#47]
She wants to leave you for 3 months to go with her friend, when there are places that would be closer and cheaper?  

Why?  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:25:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
If that is where she wants to go and it's best for her career, you should be behind her decision 100%.

Wouldn't you want the same?

+1
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd be wary. She might meet up with these guys...

CW
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Let her go, either way it will be good test for your marriage, assuming kids are not involved yet. Two things could happen.
1. You or her meet someone else and you find out that it wasn't really meant to be. Or.....
2. Your love grows stronger and it leads to a long and fulfilling marriage.  

Like I said, either way it is good.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top