Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2005 6:40:54 PM EDT
... but I had my camera with me and was able to snap a picture of the side of his truck.

The guy came onto the freeway from an onramp, and as he merged, about four rocks that looked to be the size of eggs smashed into my windshield. Cracked it all to hell.

Now that I think about it though, I kind of regret possibly blinding with my camera flash the guy who was piloting a hunk of heavy machinery down the interstate at 70 mph.

Think I can get his company to pay for my smashed windshield?

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
There isn't supposed to be stuff coming off the truck. Did it come off the load or did his tire throw a rock?

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Try it.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
... but I had my camera with me and was able to snap a picture of the side of his truck.

Think I can get his company to pay for my smashed windshield?

File a police report and let them pursue it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a reason there are 90000 regulations and other crap (Okay maybe just one) for strapping down or tarping your load.  If it blew off the bed, you should be able to wring a new windshield out of their asses.

And OSHA may crawl over them for not having the proper tarping gear and what not on their trucks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the same thing happen to me. We then person on the phone said it wasn't thier truck. I gave a license number, truck number, time and location of the incident. I told them I expected a call back within the hour or I would take it to small claims and the local TV stations consumer reporter.
I had a letter faxed to me later in the day authorizing the repair at a local auto glass shop.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Here they are responsible. You should have filed a police report. And call your insurance agent.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There isn't supposed to be stuff coming off the truck. Did it come off the load or did his tire throw a rock?

Off of the back of the truck. Watched it fly off and into my windshield.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I called my insurance company about something like this once, and their first question was whether
I got the name of the trucking company or license number.

I'd imagine your insurance agent would be very interested in any pictures, if they have to pay
for any of the replacement cost.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here they are responsible. You should have filed a police report. And call your insurance agent.

It happened about 20 minutes ago.

I'm waiting until I'm sure I didn't cause a 50 car fatality laden pileup by snapping the picture, then I'll pursue getting them to pay for a windshield.

I have a clear picture of the truck's door with the company name, the truck number, and the guys face.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Most companies will take care of it, a few things dependant.

People come after us all the time for "free" windshields.

An egg size rock is a component of a specific type of aggregate blend or size itself They know where that truck was going to & from and what he was carrying. They will know that was what he was loaded with and he was there.

If you have the truck number, route and direction, and the "egg sized" description (different from generic "a rock", and you call the company and ask for the truck boss or supervisor, I would be really surprised if they wont take care of it.

If they dont, short of going to court, and getting the police involved, there isnt much you can do. Even then, its usually on your insurance if they dont cover it, if you want to turn in a claim.

A owner operator will be a lot less likely than a fleet to replace one. A fleet usually will do it, unless they are just an all around shitty company, when you have the details like you have.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Just be glad you weren't on a motorcycle. I had to replace a face shield on my helmet one time from a stone from a truck. Good thing I was wearing a helmet...
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
File a police report and let them pursue it.

You can get a report, you may get a ticket issued but rarely so, but I have never heard of the cops showing up at our place because we threw a rock.

Quoted:
And OSHA may crawl over them for not having the proper tarping gear and what not on their trucks.

OSHA only cares if we have an orange vest and safety glasses, and even then they never come to our yards, ever. We may meet them out on random contractor jobsites, usually they have precon meetings and the ground guys never see them unless there is a fatality or a snitch (Worker) calls them in.

Most businesses like this are closely tied to quarries and pits, who are completely covered by MSHA, "OSHA with teeth", and all they care about is mine safety.

ETA: Tarping is usually a local ordinance, rare in most places. Most companies do it as a "good neighbor" policy, mine does, and puts up a cheesy sign. "Our loads tarped because we care".

Make no mistake, the only thing they care about is money.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Most companies will take care of it, a few things dependant.

People come after us all the time for "free" windshields.

An egg size rock is a component of a specific type of aggregate blend or size itself They know where that truck was going to & from and what he was carrying. They will know that was what he was loaded with and he was there.

If you have the truck number, route and direction, and the "egg sized" description (different from generic "a rock", and you call the company and ask for the truck boss or supervisor, I would be really surprised if they wont take care of it.

If they dont, short of going to court, and getting the police involved, there isnt much you can do. Even then, its usually on your insurance if they dont cover it, if you want to turn in a claim.

A owner operator will be a lot less likely than a fleet to replace one. A fleet usually will do it, unless they are just an all around shitty company, when you have the details like you have.

I agree, most reputable companies will handle this if you can provide the proof it was one of their trucks
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just be glad you weren't on a motorcycle. I had to replace a face shield on my helmet one time from a stone from a truck. Good thing I was wearing a helmet...

+1 have hit many myself and those basterds hurt! Even through a suit, take a good one to the nugget at speed and its quite a violent experience could easily cause a laydown situarion. Kinda of odd how your eyes track those objects at distance and there is nothing you can do to avoid them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 have hit many myself and those basterds hurt! Even through a suit, take a good one to the nugget at speed and its quite a violent experience could easily cause a laydown situarion. Kinda of odd how your eyes track those objects at distance and there is nothing you can do to avoid them.

kind of like watching a bullet smack home

it would really suck on a bike

I watched a bunch of shit roll off of his fender and saw a spray of rocks bouncing up and straight into the window. Made me start to try and duck below the dash because they looked fricken big. I got about an inch into lowering my head then CRACK.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Did you google the company to see who they are and how big ??

The bigger the better for you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Got caught behind a sand hauler for about 20 miles one day with no place to pass ... got the worst wind/sand burn of my life. Luckily the bike didn't suffer too bad...
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I thought you drove a concert truck?

I drove dump trucks for a few years back east, and my current company has a dozen or so. I have never gone far from the aggregate industry, even when I was white collar.

ETA: And the rules are the same.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#23]
The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago.I called the company.  Their office guy asked me a few questions about the incident and then asked if he could call me back.

Like 10 minutes later I got a call back with the trucking company office manager asking where he should send their glass guy to fix my window.

Just try calling them.  They'll probably just fix it.  I'd imagine that for a trucking company that hauls rock in an urban area, buying windshields is just part of the game.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

sounds like a small one ... they have six peterbuilt dump trucks

I'll give them a call on monday and see what they say. If no go, I'll just turn it into my insurance along with the company info and picture, date time location, etc.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'll give them a call on monday and see what they say. If no go, I'll just turn it into my insurance along with the company info and picture, date time location, etc.

Just a thought. Is there a quarry or pit in the direction he was coming from? If so, they are the ones who wont want the proverbial black eye.

I think I might try this. Call them and tell them, "Hey, one of your trucks.....". He could have been coming from a site somewhere, but a quarry would play ombudsman and exert some pressure on a smaller company to do the right thing.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought. Is there a quarry or pit in the direction he was coming from? If so, they are the ones who wont want the proverbial black eye.

I think I might try this. Call them and tell them, "Hey, one of your trucks.....". He could have been coming from a site somewhere, but a quarry would play ombudsman and exert some pressure on a smaller company to do the right thing.

I'm sure he was working on the interchange rebuild project.

There's a several year project going on in Milwaukee right now to rebuild the main interchange where a couple of interstates come together right in the middle of the city. Shitloads of trucks running in and out at all hours.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Ewwww...... I think I would go for him direct.

Good luck man. Maybe try the "Rock chip for free" thing at the mall parking lots??  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#29]
This guy is probably thinking "what the fuck ..."

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#30]
If you don't get any monetary satisfaction you could be a good citizen and give him his rocks back.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#31]
As a contractor and dump truck owner myself, I can just about guarantee he has insurance and lots of it.

I notice he has a DOT number as well. In order to get the DOT number, you have to file all kinds of paperwork and show proof of insurance. Since you have a time, place, date and most importantly a pic., he would be an absolute fool to not get it fixed.

Contact your insurance company and give them all the info., that is what you pay them for. They will in turn notify the trucking company insurance company and your windshield will be replaced, it should be no big deal. Unfortunately, this happens quite a bit. The owner should get on the drivers ass for not making sure his load was confined inside the bed.

Over the years I have replaced windshields and then again we have had people call in claiming we busted their windshield even on days we weren't in the area or weren't even working. It is usually pretty easy to figure out the legit claims.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

10 owned, 12 leased. Under the states list of Contractors

Good looking trucks, the big job, plus he is a media whore. He wont want the bad pressp, I bet he pays.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

10 owned, 12 leased. Under the states list of Contractors

Good looking trucks, the big job, plus he is a media whore. He wont want the bad pressp, I bet he pays.

your google skills exceed mine

I was only able to find some blurb in a magazine article interview with the guy saying six trucks.

That's the project he was on, I43 on the north side.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Did you catch the list name? He is a "Disadvantaged Business Enterprise".

Tell him he disadvantaged your windsheild!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#35]
It's pretty much SOP for dump truck fleets to expect
at least one windshield call a month  . Most won't even
question it if their truck was in the area where you say it happened .
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Call and ask if they have email.  Email them the picture, along with time and location of where this happened.

Include your contact information.  

I am sure they will fix your windshield, as they don't have much choice, do they?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got caught behind a sand hauler for about 20 miles one day with no place to pass ... got the worst wind/sand burn of my life. Luckily the bike didn't suffer too bad...

I've been hit by lit cigs, soft drink cups, birds, roadkill bits, and once, I hit a bat (the flappy kind--not the baseball kind). But the worst is the manure trucks. Nothing like getting hit by a block of aged bullshit at 50 mph to ruin your day. I have also seen a truck running down the freeway with a chunk of brick between the duals. That is fucking scary.

GT
Damn, thats a big moth! WHAP! IT'S A BAT!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#38]
If a commercial vehicle is moving and there is pretty much any kind of....."occurance"...it will be the responsibility of the truck owner to ante up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top