Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2005 4:52:12 PM EDT
I know all about the options and engines that vary from maker to maker but what about the brands?  The three I am really looking at are John Deere, Yardman (MTD), and Husquavarna (spelling?).  I can get all three for about the same price with similar options and a 42 inch cut.  My dad has had a John Deere and it has had to be repaired numerous times but the parts are very easy to get at a JD dealer even if they cost an arm and a leg.  My neighbor had an MTD back when they were creme colored and not yellow with the "Yardman" stickers all over it and it never broke down.  I don't know how easy it would be to find parts for it though.  Last on the list is Husquavarna which makes a pretty good chainsaw but what about the availability of parts and mower quality?  Then there is always the Murray brand which is ultra cheap but I can remember in 1990 when you just couldn't get parts for them.  What would you guys buy?  All these are from $1299-1499 with the Yardman being the lowest and the Husqavarna being the highest.  A similar Murray is $999.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Just remember, Snapper riding mowers are made in the USA here in McDonough GA.  That and they hang in there for a good long time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the biggest one the wife can push.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get the biggest one the wife can push.

I would but I like cutting the grass and doing it my way.  All these have a cup beer holder BTW.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything but the fucking Husquavarna.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
HONDA.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
My next-door neighbor's brother-in-law owns a lawn service...I get a very good rate...
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#7]
None.  Get a Honda.  Pricey...but the best on the market.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#9]
We just got an MTD, and I really like it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Wheel Horse
Kubota
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Ferris...

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude,I dunno how much yard you got,but I've got a 1/2 acre of mole worked over backyard and I just can't justify dropping $1500(including tax and such) on a rider even though it would cut my mow time in half.

I have a 5.5 horse Craftsman self-propelled mower from Sears,cost me bout $300 including a 3 year warranty,and I'll tell ya,I have absolutly beat the ever-lovin shit outta that thing for six summers straight...we're talking killin the engine on mole hills,choppin up fallen tree branches,rocks and sparks flamin out the grass shute...that thing is bullet proof.

Overall the mower itself isn't as tight as it was,but the Briggs&Stratton still purrs like a kitten and it still does a fine job.

I'll never buy another brand,and I'll never pay for a "premium" mower.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, how much lawn do you have to mow?  How fast do you want to mow it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the Husky 20-42, Its got the Kohler engine. I love it. Runs great. I  didnt notice until after I got it ,that it is EXACTLY the same mower as Craftsman. My last Snapper was almost as old as me ,but slower than walking.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#15]
John Deer cause they last.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Dude,I dunno how much yard you got,but I've got a 1/2 acre of mole worked over backyard and I just can't justify dropping $1500(including tax and such) on a rider even though it would cut my mow time in half.

I have a 5.5 horse Craftsman self-propelled mower from Sears,cost me bout $300 including a 3 year warranty,and I'll tell ya,I have absolutly beat the ever-lovin shit outta that thing for six summers straight...we're talking killin the engine on mole hills,choppin up fallen tree branches,rocks and sparks flamin out the grass shute...that thing is bullet proof.

Overall the mower itself isn't as tight as it was,but the Briggs&Stratton still purrs like a kitten and it still does a fine job.

I'll never buy another brand,and I'll never pay for a "premium" mower.

We had a 20 year-old Lawn Boy that we used to clear brush in a similar manner.  We called it "John Wayne".
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a Snapper rear bagger push mower that's now going into its 17th season.

The B&S 3.5 HP engine is getting a little tired, but still always starts on the first pull.

I would imagine that their riders are similar in longevity.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yeah, how much lawn do you have to mow?  How fast do you want to mow it?

Right now I don't have very much but I am in a high density area that at $10-15 dollars a pop I could pay for it easy by mowing others yards.  I am buying a house soon and it will have a bigger yard...1-2 acre minimum.  The reason I am looking at the John Deere is because it is only $100 higher than the Yardman at Walmart and it is better equipped (more HP and Briggs & Stratton).  Plus in the area I live right now I could cut two or three neighbors yards in an hour and earn $30-45 to get a jump on paying for it.  There's nothing wrong with buying a little much if you are going to need it eventually.  It would also be nice to have it paid for before that first house payment.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I've looked at the John Deere mowers and thought they were way over priced
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#22]
If you are getting a riding then go with the John Deere.  Now if you want to get a walking one then get a Honda.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Had a Yardman.  It sucked, then it died.  Sears all the way for me now.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Stay away from Murray......They are really teetering on bankruptcy right now and who knows if they will be in business a couple of years from now.  Other than that,

Nothing runs like a Deere.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Toro, Exmark or Walker.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I like my Cub Cadet push mower.  I got in on clearance at the oLowes.  Been a good mower, served me well for 3.5 years now.

I like it, has kawasaki engine on it.  Good efficiency and cuts well.

I also like the Toro mowers.  Well built and I like the way it is setup.

I had a honda one time and it was the biggest piece of crap ever.  Terrible.  Before I get flamed this was my own experience, and since then Honda has *supposedly* come up in quality.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
HONDA.

BUY AMERICAN

f-ck those foreign scum
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a Yardman, and it was a GREAT mower....and less expensive than the others.

Might give it a try.

HH
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#30]
The inexpensive John Deere mowers that you see today aren't even related to the old John Deere mowers that you used to see.  These are cheaply made products capitolizing on the name.

I bought a Murray 5 1/2 years ago and it still runs fine. Change the oil two to three times per season and wash the grass off of the deck.  Some mower companies recomend that you don't wash the deck but hey, they sell mowers.  What do you think they would say? One thing you need to do no matter which brand that you go with.  Buy a set of Gator blades for your new mower or to replace the blades on any older mower too.  These things are 50% thicker than factory blades and last like a bad haircut. Mine are on their third year and I've only had to sharpen them once.  We mow about 3 acres.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Anything with a Briggs and Stratton engine will work good for one season, suck the next season, and not work at all in the third season.

Get a honda. I'm on my third season and it still runs great.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#32]

hey you MORONS , Honda makes the best walk behind mower

BUT  he's  shopping for a riding mower !
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#33]
My next one will the cheapest Honda mower they have: steel deck, no bag, no self propelled.  My current one is a Murray purchased 1989 from Lowes for $99 with a Tecumseh engine.  Runs fairly strong but I think it's lost some of its power.  I change the oil every year or so and yes, you can make even a Murray last 16 years if you tried
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Ferris...

[ Way in back] If you mow your grass and find a car, you might be a redneck. [ /Way in back ] j/k
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HONDA.

BUY AMERICAN

f-ck those foreign scum

The ignorance will never cease.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top