Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2005 2:36:01 PM EDT
I was at a garage sale and got the owners manual for free.  In the back I saw that it said something about carburetors.  Are the engines on '89 Preludes have carbs or are they Fuel Injected?

One would think a late 80's Japanese car would have some form of FI?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't remember the year for sure but some had dual carbs.  If you have to pass an emissions test you don't want one of those!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't remember the year for sure but some had dual carbs.  If you have to pass an emissions test you don't want one of those!

Not buying, but FWIW, why?

BTW-I live in a county requiring emission testing.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not buying, but FWIW, why?

BTW-I live in a county requiring emission testing.  

I live in a the great smog capital of the of the USA, Los Angeles, here in Kali-fornia it really doesn't matter what the induction system, carb or FI, but it must pass the emissions requirements at the time the vehicle was manufactured.  I bet your county probably has a similar rule, but I would double check with someone or someplace else

FWIW- as a vehicle gets older, it is harder and harder to keep the emiisions under control because of leaky hoses, and gaskets that don't seal so well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I own an emissions shop.  We don't see many of those anymore but probably 90% of them fail.  It's just a problem of adjusting and equalizing the carbs.  If done right they are good, but finding someone who knows how to work on them is hard.  Usually they run really rich.  Some of that might be the altitude here-5000 ft.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
In the 70's Hondas had Keinen(sp?) triple downdraft carbs
(I only saw one carb per vehicle)
the websites that come up on google are in german
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top