Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2005 6:50:17 AM EDT
Troops in Iraq get to see new 'Star Wars' film

www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=29228
Stars and Stripes
Mideast edition, Saturday, May 21, 2005

Troops deployed to Iraq were able to see the latest “Star Wars” installment this week.

“Star Wars Episode III — Revenge of the Sith” played at AAFES’ Sustainer theater in Balad, Iraq, on Wednesday.

More than a thousand deployed Star Wars fans saw the long-anticipated premiere of the newest and final episode in the saga. All of the air-conditioned theater’s 740 seats were filled for all three May 18th screenings, AAFES said in a press release Friday.

Fifty VHS copies of “Revenge of the Sith” are currently on their way to Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom locations.

AAFES official Richard Sheff said Friday that it is very unusual for a popular and profitable film like this to be distributed by VHS.

Sheff said that LucasFilms and 20th Century Fox went out of their way to provide the VHS copies to contingency locations.

Actor Dean Cain, who is touring Iraq, also was in the audience for the Operation Iraqi Freedom premiere.

“The troops deserve to see it here in Iraq,” Cain told AAFES. “Seeing the show with them was a surreal experience, especially during the fight scenes when the GIs hoot and holler. I think the troops didn’t seem to like the politics, but Yoda kicked ass.”
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
That is awesome.  Does this mean that some people in Hollywood actually give a crap about our Men and Women in uniform?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#2]
But he's a freedom hating communist sympathizing soldier hating long hair hippy........ alright he's no champ but Got damnit this makes me happy to see.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
WTF? Wheres my movie! I dont even have a movie theater here! Well I do have internet, and thats whats important, Hurray for Camp Ripper!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#4]
i generally dislike lucas, but he just earned some points for this one. making our soldiers as comfortable and at home as possible is a good thing, hell i couldnt even get into see a show out here in the states cause the line was too long
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I guarantee someone over there is gong to make copies if they dont get stolen first, but still! I hope my B.I.L. gets to see it in Baghdad. That is totaly cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top