Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2005 2:11:09 AM EDT

www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/living/11699564.htm

Man accused of tossing kittens from car

Associated Press

HURON, Ohio - A part-time police officer has been accused of throwing two kittens out of a car while driving at 70 mph.

Derik Wilhelm, 26, is charged with two counts of animal cruelty and two counts of abandoning animals. The charges are misdemeanors that carry up to 90 days in jail.

Wilhelm is an officer in the village of Castalia, about 50 miles east of Toledo, and a ranger for Erie MetroParks.

A man called the Erie County Sheriff's Office around noon Tuesday to report seeing a driver in front of him throw two kittens out a window. The caller estimated the vehicle was doing 70 mph on state Route 2.

The caller reached dispatchers again about 30 minutes later to report seeing the man toss another kitten, this time on a street in Lorain. Police there stopped Wilhelm's car, according to the sheriff's office.

Authorities couldn't find any kittens at the first location, sheriff's Capt. Paul Sigsworth said. They found one kitten in Lorain and treated it for minor injuries.

Messages seeking comment were left on Friday for Wilhelm at both agencies and with relatives.

Jim Lang, chief of operations for the parks district, said Wilhelm denied the allegations.

"The only thing he says is it's not true, it didn't happen," Lang said.

Wilhelm is due in Huron Municipal Court next week.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:59:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If it was a dog I'd be so upset....

In reality, this kind of thing has little to do with him being a cop. The thing is, cops come from the same place the rest of us do, they are only human, and humans do messed up stuff like this. Personally, cruely to animals is one of the only things I think people should be held accountable for in regards to animals. The whole animal rights thing creeps me out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:05:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If it was a dog I'd be so upset....

In reality, this kind of thing has little to do with him being a cop. The thing is, cops come from the same place the rest of us do, they are only human, and humans do messed up stuff like this. Personally, cruely to animals is one of the only things I think people should be held accountable for in regards to animals. The whole animal rights thing creeps me out.

It has everything to do with his judgement, morality, and decision making. He shouldn't be a police officer, or in any position where he get to make decisions that will effect other people.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:11:45 AM EDT
[#3]
He won't be after this. Still, he's a human. Humans make mistakes like this. All I'm saying is that these kinds of things have nothing to do with him being a cop. I agree with your remarks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:16:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Still, he's a human. Humans make mistakes like this.

A mistake is a mistake........this guy is an asshole.  His actions were a CHOICE not a mistake.  
If I rob a bank and get caught is that a mistake?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:22:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A mistake is a mistake........this guy is an asshole.  His actions were a CHOICE not a mistake.  

Agreed, cruelty is a choice...this is NOT the guy you want pulling your girlfriend over...unless you really hate her, of course.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:25:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry I'm not clear about waht you are saying.

Is the mistake robbing the bank?

Or is the mistake getting caught?

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#7]
All I am saying is that it has nothing to do with him being a cop. That's all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:11:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
All I am saying is that it has nothing to do with him being a cop. That's all.

I think it has everything to do with him now not being a cop.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, he definately shouldn't be a cop.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#10]
People that needlessly torture living things sicken me.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Agreed.

Hopefully he won't be a cop anymore.  People like that don't need to wear a badge.

Torturing animals is the first sign, ya know.  Who knows?  We might see him on Forensic Files in a couple of years...
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Put kittens in car. Get car up to 70 mph. Roll window down. Throw kitten.

Mistake?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:33:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:35:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I agree 100%.... Although I don't care for, or about cats, I cannot condone cruelty to animals.... If found guilty, he should be beaten and jailed - and definetly NOT suitable for law enforcement....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Whatever happened to the 'burlap bag + rocks + pond' trick?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:54:59 AM EDT
[#16]
What a dumbass. Anybody that has ever thrown a beer bottle at a road sign at least knows not to do it when there is a car right behind you. If you are going to commit a crime at least don't do it in front of witnesses. Oh yeah I don't like animal cruelty either but I hope there is a special place in hell for cats Pure evil !!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Whatever happened to the 'burlap bag + rocks + pond' trick?

Unfortunately I think they still use it China for unwanted female children
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#18]
well I've seen a "horse fly" and I've seen a "house fly", but I ain't never  seen a "cat fly", out of a car window that is, bet his glide angle started out horizontal, then went near vertical.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#19]
You'd think a part-time park ranger would know better.

What a dumbass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top