Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 10:33:46 PM EDT
I'm sitting here tonight, drinking Rolling Rock, watching Team America, and I needed a snack so I had to break out the Jalapeno Cheese Spread, but on Stoned Wheat Thins, fuck those MRE crackers or MRE wheat snack bread.

Hmmm...... good.

And no, it doesn't constipate me.

The Army Research Center at Natick did a study and determined that Soldiers in the field eating MREs get constipated, not because of the MREs, but because they are reluctant to shit under field conditionds and they avoid doing it.

Anyway, I like the Jalapeno Cheese Spread, at least with civilian crackers and Rolling Rock beer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not bad at all and I love those waxy crackers that are packed in the MRE's. The peanut spread...wtf is it really made of? It ain't peanuts.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's not bad at all and I love those waxy crackers that are packed in the MRE's. The peanut spread...wtf is it really made of? It ain't peanuts.

It's Soylent Green.....

....  it's made from...

...people!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Me its good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#4]

I like MRE's a lot.  Peanut butter and those dry dry crackers is an awesome combination--if you have plenty of liquid to drink along with it.

I haven't tried the jalepeno cheese--I don't think I've even seen that.  The last real MRE's I had were in about '99--is that stuff new?

I probably wouldn't have such a high opionion of MREs if that was all I had to eat for six weeks...

Jim
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
who doesn;t like the cheese spread? Heat that up along with the meal and add it to whatever they gave you that day and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Military likes double-use things.

Peanut butter spread can be repackaged or repurposed as "Multi Use Adhesive", "Spackle", "Field Expedient Caulk" and a half dozen other uses.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like MRE's a lot.  Peanut butter and those dry dry crackers is an awesome combination--if you have plenty of liquid to drink along with it.

I haven't tried the jalepeno cheese--I don't think I've even seen that.  The last real MRE's I had were in about '99--is that stuff new?

I probably wouldn't have such a high opionion of MREs if that was all I had to eat for six weeks...

Jim

They're alot better now.  They still suck after too long consecutive though.

Cinnamon Imperials, which I would never actually buy, are uniquely tasty in the field.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I love the jalepeno cheese spread and crackers.
Peanut butter is good also.
I love MRE's
An army fights and moves on its stomach, that is partly why we have been so good for so long.  We have been the best fed and the best supplied. (Along with the best trained)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Love that stuff, one of the few things I still enjoy in 'em over long periods of dining on MRE's.

Throw it in the heater along with the entree. When done fold package in half, bite out a little hole in the middle of the crease, and you've got SQUEEZY CHEESE!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I DO I DO!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Last time I tried to find real MRE's, all I could find were the terrible 'civilian' class MREs.  When I tried to get the real deal, they said something about the military not selling the surplus meals or something like that.  It was well before Iraq2, but it was just pre-Y2K.

Not only do the wierd civilian class MREs suck, but they don't have all the accessories in them either.  I don't even think it had the creamer and sugar and cocoa to make ranger pudding!

Can you still buy the real military MREs commercially?

Jim
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Man, that Jalapeno cheese spread makes the best Mac and Cheese.
Add a little hamburger and it's a lot better than your typical Hamburger Helper.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Funny you should mention it.  I am sitting in middle of LZ Hawk on Okinawa, "monitoring" the NIPR net, enjoying a beef stew MRE w/jalepano cheese, crushed crackers, and tabasco.

Hells yeah, boys, times is good!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Last time I tried to find real MRE's, all I could find were the terrible 'civilian' class MREs.  When I tried to get the real deal, they said something about the military not selling the surplus meals or something like that.  It was well before Iraq2, but it was just pre-Y2K.

Not only do the wierd civilian class MREs suck, but they don't have all the accessories in them either.  I don't even think it had the creamer and sugar and cocoa to make ranger pudding!

Jim

Legally, it doesn't appear that you can anymore.

One of the Civilian MREs that came in a clear package was alright.  The heaters didn't work too well (couldn't heat both the entree and side together) and they didn't have a the variety in the accessory packs.  NEVER had the carmel in it which really pisses me off.  The food itself seemed to be the same as the .mil stuff.

Regarding constipation and being reluctant to shit...wouldn't you be?  Really, with the amount of TP they give you if you end up with klingons you may be in for a slick & smelly walk the next few days till you can get a shower.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

I can't even begin to elaborate on how much that sucks.

I hope I can get the ones you mentioned.  The last MREs I had, the entrees tasted like seconds from a cat food plant.

Do the current civilian-purchase MREs come with things like the dry dry crackers, jelly/pb/cheese, and those great "1200 calorie" brownies?

Jim
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Any one ever noticed that MREs are packaged by GAYlord, in Bogulusa LA?

Yeah the jalapeno cheese is good.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:42:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh yeah, and where the heck are we supposed to get those perfectly sized little bottles of Tabasco sauce?

That stuff was a GODSEND when we hiked Philmont.  Powdered eggs sucked, until you hit them with some Tabasco.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Dude, wheat snack bread r0x.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:50:21 AM EDT
[#19]
beef ravioli with a shot of a cheese packet is one of the most delicious things you can ever eat.

and yes, i love me some mre's, evgen when we didn't have anything else for about 5 weeks,
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#20]
If you think a .mil edict has killed sales of .mil MRE's to civilians, then y'all need to look over on Ebay..... There's a shitload of MREs and the odd CWR's.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We have been the best fed and the best supplied. (Along with the best trained)

Sorry man, but I have to disagree.  If you have the opportunity, look @ Italian army rations.  ;)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes the Jalapeno cheese.
If you want real MREs, go over to the EE.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

I can't even begin to elaborate on how much that sucks.

I hope I can get the ones you mentioned.  The last MREs I had, the entrees tasted like seconds from a cat food plant.

Do the current civilian-purchase MREs come with things like the dry dry crackers, jelly/pb/cheese, and those great "1200 calorie" brownies?

Jim

Long Life Food Dot Com

Best thing is, you can order individual pieces and make your own.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#23]
ebay has pages and pages of the real shit.................usually about $40 + $20 shipping per case
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I loved the little minature bottle of Tabasco sauce, it's just plain cute   Besides I could eat my shoe if I had some Texas Pete.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#25]
That reminds me, I have two complete cases of MREs still sitting in my old closet at my mom's house. Ah oh well don't keep all your eggs in one basket I guess, I think they expire in 2008 though, not sure need to check, maybe I'll give them away as christmas presents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top