Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to hunt one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.  Just make sure someone's not riding them at the time.  

R.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
wild grass, wild ass =makes good glue and dog chow.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep.  Those things are a fucking plague on the West.  Off to the dog food factory, or just open season and leave 'em for the coyotes and buzzards.

Worse yet are the fucking wild burros.  They really fuck up desert  bighorn sheep habitat.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#6]
As someone who actually has a formal education in wildlife management, yes, I am 100% for the wholesale slaughter of feral livestock (which is exactly what they are). The sheep they're dispacing were here first, represent an important part of the ecosystem they lived in, and were a valueable natural resource, and it's a crying shame that we let a bunch of stupid beasts of burden rob us of desert shepp....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
no .

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Considering that I hate horses, hell yes!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm for killing most things (clowns especially).  But, wild horses?  Maybe not.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yep.  Those things are a fucking plague on the West.  Off to the dog food factory, or just open season and leave 'em for the coyotes and buzzards.

Worse yet are the fucking wild burros.  They really fuck up desert  bighorn sheep habitat.

On the barrier islands in VA and NC they are altering the vegitation and causing the islands to erode faster.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
As someone who actually has a formal education in wildlife management, yes, I am 100% for the wholesale slaughter of feral livestock (which is exactly what they are). The sheep they're dispacing were here first, represent an important part of the ecosystem they lived in, and were a valueable natural resource, and it's a crying shame that we let a bunch of stupid beasts of burden rob us of desert shepp....

Why bother, isn't the Rapture right around the corner?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
If the are causing problems then it would be required. I saw some of this on CSPAN today. They have an adoption program in place but the demand is far less than the production. I believe I heard that a horse herd can double it's population total in 5 years. Is that true ? Nobody came to the defense of the wild hogs in the National forest near me when the gov'ment literally wiped them out because of overpopulation, I guess horses are "Icons" or something in people's minds.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know enough about this topic to make a relevant comment on the subject.

Bet y'all never saw that posted on this site before!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I think it probably is. But I could be wrong. No man knows the hour.......

So, in the meantime, let's examine a common myth:

Many people jokingly say that prostitution is the world's oldest profession. That is incorrect.

Genesis Chapter 1:

1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

1:28
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

1:29
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

We're told to have a work ethic, to raise families, and then, God gets into 'professional development'.

The first profession He gave us was fish/wildlife/ management, followed closely by agriculture and forestry.

So, until the Lord comes back, it's safe to say we should manage our wildlife - which, in this case, means that something needs to be done about the out-of-control feral horse/burro problem, lest we squander away the beautiful, recreationally valueable resource He has given us in the form of Desert Bighorn Sheep.......

(Hey, you brought religion into this, not me.....)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup, shoot 'em. IMO they're no different than the Norway Rat.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't know enough about this topic to make a relevant comment on the subject.

Bet y'all never saw that posted on this site before!

Yeah, F you and the wild horse you rode in on.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I think it probably is. But I could be wrong. No man knows the hour.......

So, in the meantime, let's examine a common myth:

Many people jokingly say that prostitution is the world's oldest profession. That is incorrect.

Genesis Chapter 1:

1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

1:28
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

1:29
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

We're told to have a work ethic, to raise families, and then, God gets into 'professional development'.

The first profession He gave us was fish/wildlife/ management, followed closely by agriculture and forestry.

So, until the Lord comes back, it's safe to say we should manage our wildlife - which, in this case, means that something needs to be done about the out-of-control feral horse/burro problem, lest we squander away the beautiful, recreationally valueable resource He has given us in the form of Desert Bighorn Sheep.......

(Hey, you brought religion into this, not me.....)

I'm just poking at you a little bit since you've oft posted that you are a Christian and have now posted that you work in wildlife management.

One of the actual real world debates I've had many times with Christians is about things like wildlife mamagement.  A great many Christains believe that the world was put here for man's use and that there is no inherent value in things like Desert Bighorn Sheep.  Try to convince a western Christian that grazing allotments  on public lands should consider things like maintaining viable (and huntable) elk populations, or that a subdivision might be better built away from critical bighorn habitat.  They don't convince easy.  

The ultimate argument they often fall back on is that the Rapture is coming soon and conservation is a moot point anyway
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

LMFAO!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Kali-fornia has a law that prevents slaughtering of horses for food or to export them to countries that slaughter them for food. This law was pushed pretty hard by newscaster/anchor Christine Lund formerly of KABC-TV Los Angeles.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#22]
yes
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, horses are a big a plague to some areas of the west as deer are in the east. Your life is at risk if either comes through your windshield.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm just poking at you a little bit since you've oft posted that you are a Christian and have now posted that you work in wildlife management.

I do very little real wildlife management work. I was passionate about the subject when I was in college, until a turn of events kinda got me jaded about the whole thing about the time I got out of collge. Actually, that's common amongst people who pursue an education closely related to their hobbies (kids: if you like to hunt, fish, and shoot, get an engineering degree!). But, as it happens, the issue of wild horses and whatnot is one that I sort of 'adopted' as being worthy of study, on my own time, when I was in college. When I'd go to a TWS meeting or convention, or when the monthly bulletin (research journal) came out, I'd always pay attention to the information presented on the subject....possibly because one of my lifelong goals, at the time, was to go sheep hunting. They're beautiful animals that liuve in stunningly beautiful places.

One of the actual real world debates I've had many times with Christians is about things like wildlife mamagement.

Cool. Lots of Christians will twist the Bible to support their own positions. I've been guiilty of it myself.

A great many Christains believe that the world was put here for man's use and that there is no inherent value in things like Desert Bighorn Sheep.

And they're flat-out wrong. It was all put here for our use, not abuse. Many people take the attitude you mention, though, due to the fact that 'Christian' often goes with 'conservative' which often goes with 'plunder natural resources'.......

Try to convince a western Christian that grazing allotments  on public lands should consider things like maintaining viable (and huntable) elk populations, or that a subdivision might be better built away from critical bighorn habitat.  They don't convince easy.

I've seen some arguements most people haven't, in person, along those same lines. I can find NOTHING to Biblically support non-sustainable use of natural resources. Even if that resource happens to be oil. All resources were put here for us to use - even ANWR, and its oil reserves, which I'd love to see preserved....The problem there is that we simply don't know what the 'best' use of that land is. It's impossible to put a real estimate on the value of the scenerey and wildlife in ANWR, and impossible to estimate the oil reserves therein, accurately, w\ithout doing irreperable damage.

Fortunately, however, the situation is different for the sheep vs. burro situation. Other than the whims of mushy-headed liberals who think 'wild horses are pretty' while at the same time having little respect for the elusive (as in, you can't pet them...) sheep- which are a VERY valueable resource, consdering the cost of hunting them, and the impact that consumptive use of wildlife has on agrarian economies- the burros have no value. They're just feral animals that happen to be 'pretty'. So it's easy enough, if you think about it, to see that they are a pest and, ecologically, an eyesore and scourge upon the ground they walk on.

Of course, those who try to eke out a living on poor soils will often overgraze their range, and attempt to justify it as 'subdueing the earth', which is really sad, as God doesnt want us to 'live like there's no tomorrow', since we have no idea just how long our resources need to last. Consider the dust bowl days of 80 years ago. Did the practices of the day please God? I seriously doubt it. Certainly, He wants us to eke out a living. But not at the expense of the resources we may have to depend on tomorrow.

The ultimate argument they often fall back on is that the Rapture is coming soon and conservation is a moot point anyway

Ask them to define 'soon'. When they stutter, tell them to quit wrapping themselves in self-righteousness to justify the misuse of what God has given us.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#26]
They're not wild they're feral.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
No. I can think of several people I'd rather shoot than a wild horse.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#28]
sure I support it, they taste like chicken
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes.  They are an exotic introduced into an ecosystem that can only support them at the cost of the ecosystem itself.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#30]
If the current alternatives aren't working and they need to be controlled then why not?

BTW, Where do I sign up?

What's a good horse caliber???

.338 Win Mag?

.375 H&H?

This thread reminded me of "In Pursuit of Honor" I think .45ACP did it at close range.

It's a shame if that is what must be done.  But that's not a reason to put it off.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Horses are good for 2 things!

1-Glue

2-Dog Food

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#32]
no
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Why is it when there is a problem with a animal the solution is always, "KILL IT"......

Come on people.....Horses are people too.....

Personally, I'd Like to hunt the people who are hunting the horses.......

GhostCat
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Horses are not a natural part of the North American ecosystem. They were introduced by the Spanish. The Native Americans/Indians had earlier hunted the native American 3 toed horses into extinction along with the mega-mammals when they showed up.

These feral horses and burros need to be removed. Hunted as vermin just like coyotes.

wganz

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I support adoption before killing.

+1

HH
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Why is it when there is a problem with a animal the solution is always, "KILL IT"......

Come on people.....Horses are people too.....

Personally, I'd Like to hunt the people who are hunting the horses.......

GhostCat

As someone that owns a few horses I too would enjoy hunting someone who would kill horses for pleasure.  Sterilization of the male equine population is what is needed, not wholesale slaughter.  I really think that anyone who kills anything for sport is sick.  Hunting is one thing - the meat does not go to waste.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The Native Americans/Indians had earlier hunted the native American 3 toed horses into extinction along with the mega-mammals when they showed up.

I thought the eohippus(sp) predated humans in North America?

ETA- Apparently eohippus was around 50 million years ago, obviously well before there where any humans anywhere.  Was there another species of early horse-like creature I am missing?  I thought it was the eohippus that evolved in NA and found its way to the Eurasian landmass, and after millions of years modern horses came about in the Ukraine area.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#39]
no
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
They're not wild they're feral.

Exactly.  Nature lovers should support wiping them out completely.
They don't belong there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a friend in Wyoming that talks about shooting prairie dogs - my first thought was, but they're so darn CUTE!  When it comes to wild horses, the only ones I am familiar with are on the barrier islands of Assateague and Chincoteague, where the annual Pony Swim controls population.  And armadillos?  Hell, I've never even SEEN a live one!

On the other hand, I have had PLENTY of opportunity to see the destruction caused by out-of-control deer and geese populations, yet hear people bitch and moan all the time about killing them.  (Yeah, they aren't eating YOUR vegetables or crapping all over YOUR yard so YOUR kids can't play outside, etc.)

The point is, if you don't live in an area and experience it first hand, you probably don't know enough to make a call in a question like this.  Sometimes killing them is just a cop-out.  (Personally, I wouldn't mind open season on all frogs and toads!)  But sometimes (especially with a non-indigenous species) it is necessary in order to preserve the ecosystem.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I smell a bunch of hippies in this thread...

And to answer the question... only if I'm hungry and thats all thats available.

I think wild horses are beautiful... and they have been here a lot longer than you hippies think... 1492... amigos.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
and they have been here a lot longer than you hippies think... 1492... amigos.

Probably not.
And I ain't a hippy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#44]
First off- I hate the term "adoption" used this way. Lets call it what it is - taking a stray horse off the BLM's hands.

People hear Adoption and think it's a puppy. Worse yet they think of some romantic Hollywood/Disney bullcrap. Think Horse wisperer or Cimmoron here. Some folks think it's a cheap way to get a horse and others think they're cowboys.

I run across quite a few of these horses. Most of them are only sutable for a professional or very experienced horseman. I do say most like in any group there exceptions and I've been around a few who turned out to be real nice horses. Almost none of them will be attractive to people looking for horses for any kind of athletic compitition. Make no mistake here the bad horses are Fucking Bad. The kind of horses most people have no experience with. Push them to far and they'll come after you biting, striking and looking to pound you into the dirt.

Don't forget it a big animal that's grown up hard. If it had a meek and mild personality it probably wouldn't have lived through its first year, and a lot of them don't.

I hate the thought of shooting them but the reality is their numbers do need to be controlled.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Only if it is done by hunters and is regulated so that everyone gets a shot at one. I want one that a kennedy is riding on
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#46]

As someone that owns a few horses I too would enjoy hunting someone who would kill horses for pleasure.  Sterilization of the male equine population is what is needed, not wholesale slaughter.  I really think that anyone who kills anything for sport is sick.  Hunting is one thing - the meat does not go to waste.

Well,we've got a few horses of our own,and I strongly support the reduction of the feral herds.Mine are on MY property,and strictly controlled.Not an introduced nuisance cutting into the niches of native species.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#47]
As someone who owns dogs and pet rats, I would gladly murder someone who supports pest control in regards to coyote, feral dogs, or rodentia...

Sounds stupid, doesn't it?  Can you guess why?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Not only do I support it, I ENJOY it.  

Seriously - WOW has our society become a big bunch of pussyfied wimps.

People are eating animals that must die anyway. Boo hoo!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Hell No........      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Yep. Those things are a fucking plague on the West.

Worse yet are the fucking wild burros. They really fuck up desert bighorn sheep habitat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way,  but I gotta give YOU a big BULL SHIT on this one....  

HUMANS are far worse the destructor....     For 30g's of horses compared to billions of Humans....  Yah O.K....       The Alteration and Destruction of land for Malls,  new Wallmarts,  massive waves of Immigration,  toxic waste,  new gas stations,  etc.....    

[sarcasm] Greaaaaat !!!! [sarcasm]

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#50]

most of these people can't reason much better than animals can, nor can they recognize that it's people and their endless building and development that pushes nature and wildlife towards problems.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top