Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 5:01:46 PM EDT
I have been thinking of getting one of those mini mills....to play around with, make shit, basically to teach myself some machining skills at my own pace.

Anybody have one, and what are the best ones out there?

I have seen a cheap-o at Harbor Freight for about $500.....are they any good, or are they a POS.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
from what I've gathered they are just fine so long as you keep their limitations in mind.  just dont try to mill your own billet titanium ar lower and you should be fine so far as I've heard.

I was at harbor freight looking today and was very tempted.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
mini-mill.com

good info here...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#3]
They can be pretty fun and can teach you some basic skills.  Try to get one with R8 spindle, lots of tooling available.

Bolt it down and make some chips.

SRM
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
What would you need if you wanted to mill aluminum AR lowers from billets? M1A receivers from steel? Anybody know?

ETA: It's perfectly legal, as long as you keep the guns.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It isn't so much the material.  How deep of cut do you want to make?  How fast?  Bigger machines work faster.

How precise of work are you doing?  Big iron is more stable.

The mini's work very well within their limitations.  From my experience, they can cut aluminum and steel very easily and precisely.  Lighter cuts are better.

SRM
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]
you can pick up the chincom ones for about 200 from the local tool sales in your area. they are good if you are making small stuff...anything bigger than say a lower reciver is quite hard unless you want to do alot if indexing...get some bits and a swivel vise and you are good to go
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I really like Sherline's mills and lathes. Look into them.

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top