Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 4:57:23 PM EDT

So I got a new job, moving to a new city, my girl is coming with me.  We want a dog -- bad.

I hunt some, so a retriever would be great.  Good watch/guard dog would be a big plus.  Otherwise, just looking for a good dog.

Any suggestions?  The girl wants a Vizsla -- anyone have experience with these?  I can make it happen, but would like some advice.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't your girlfriend swim with a duck in her mouth?

Joking, joking. My friend has a Vizsla, it's a good dog but high-strung.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
How about a Lab?

I've had the pleasure of training a few back in the Army (but not military related).  My friend who lived off post in Alabama had a couple of Labs.  He taught me how to train them and I helped a little with the first and a lot with the 2nd.  They were both females and had the ability to learn quickly.

pattymcn would be able to give you the best advice (send her an IM).  She trains and shows dogs professionally.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can't your girlfriend swim with a duck in her mouth?

She's not a strong swimmer.  And it's tough when she's tied to the stove.

Just kidding, honey.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
German Shepard.  Look for a rescue, there are a lot of good dogs that need to be placed.  I got a great Shepard from the rescue, his owner had to go to the sand box for work and could not place the dog.  I swear the dog knows I rescued him.  Best dog I have ever owned.

G45  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Border collies are great dogs.  I have 2 of them and they are the smartest most loving dogs ever.

I rescued both of them from the pound, and both are very grateful.  Can tell when they are playful.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Rhodesian Ridgeback.  Stellar creature.  I can't say enough good things about them.  The only negative is the rarity of the breed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Rescue a mutt from death row.  Better yet rescue two.  

Good for the karma, I mean dogma.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd get a  young english setter from a shelter.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Talking to my dad about dogs today and he swears by German Shorthairs.  Great dog for ducks and pheasant.  Not too big, not too small and very alert.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Our dog is a Female Australian Shepard. She alerts us when some one is at the door before they knock.  She protects my wife, even when she thinks I am a threat to her.  I can not even play wrestle or play strike my wife without her getting violently upset with me growling and barking in protest.  Even a friendly swatt on the but makes her uneasy.  When testing this on occasion she has even bitten me drawing blood.

I am not a wife beater and I would not have it any other way.

From a functional human perspective the purpose of having and maintaning a dog as a pet is to establish a line of defense.  Regardless of the size of the dog we as humans rely on their sense of pack and their hightened senses to identify and alert us to intrustions.

Or so I think.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Lots of good breeds out there.  My recommendation for a great all-around dog is a black lab (yellows are fine, stay away from chocolates).   Great family dog, great waterfowl dog, and pretty good upland bird dog as well.  Labs are great with kids, yours and other peoples.  You won't be worrying about you dog giving you a lawsuit.  

I would strongly suggest reading "Game Dog" by Wolters first.  Wolters is squared away.  

Then get a lab, from a reputable breeder, with Master Hunter parents.  It'll cost you $600 or so for pup, but having a smart, well trained (if you do your part) dog is worth the few extra bucks upfront.  

eland
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]
how big is the place your moving to?
fenced yard?
nothing worse than a high strung dog in a small house
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll second the black lab vote.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I hunt some, so a retriever would be great. Good watch/guard dog would be a big plus. Otherwise, just looking for a good dog.
Only one answer that fits both criteria: Chesapeake!! you wont find a better retreiver and they are awsome watch dogs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Lots of good breeds out there. My recommendation for a great all-around dog is a black lab (yellows are fine, stay away from chocolates). Great family dog, great waterfowl dog, and pretty good upland bird dog as well. Labs are great with kids, yours and other peoples. You won't be worrying about you dog giving you a lawsuit.

What's wrong with Chocolates?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks all.  We thought a lot about labs, too.

The place is 1300 sq ft.  Apartment, so no fenced in yard.  But not in the city.

I'd love a German Shepard.  Maybe two dogs...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Everyone loves their dawg.  You should get a million different answers.

Here's mine.  For an exceptional guardian/watch dawg that is not too aggressive and a hoot to have check out the Great Pyrenees.  I've had these guys for a long time and can't think of a better hound to have around.

For sure they are not hunting dawgs.  Generally they have little interest in retrieving anything whatsoever.  My current pal is an exception to the rule.  They are generally not too pleased with gunshots though with patience and care they tolerate it just fine.  I take my pal onto BLM land and shoot often.  

For protection and the anouncement of intruders they can't be beat.  So far all my guys have been very prone to protecting women and children.  They are in fact, great with kids.  Great with small animals.  All have been much too regal and imperious to bother with cats.  

The downside, if you consider these attributes to be negative:

1. They are huge.  Though they are behemoths they have a slower metabolic rate than most hounds and eat less than the Shepards and Hounds I used to have.

2.  They are extemely independent having been bred to be so since 3000 BC.  Therefore they are not prone to being easily trained.  They can be, with patience and if you are smarter than they are.

3.  They bark.  They bark.  They bark.  They are guard dawgs.  I keep mine in at night even though I am on about 175 acres, lest the denizens of the tri county area show up in my yard in lederhosen with pitchforks and torches.  

4.  They have been bred to have a very large territory.  If not leashed or fenced they will walk the aforementioned tri county area and whiz on every bush and tree along the way.  

5.  They can be serious droolers.  Luckily Woodrow is a dry mouth.  His grandpaw, Wade, required a raincoat when traveling in the truck. I needed the rain gear.  They are not bothered by their slime.  Beware the "Arc of Slobber" when they shake their heads.  They are great travelers and do not bark from the truck.  In fact they pretty much do their barking at home.  

6.  They can, especially the females, be prone to excavation.  Being left alone and bored will result in truck sized holes in your yard.

7.  They shed.  Once a year like clockwork everything you own is covered in white hair.  Wearing black is probably not a wise fashion move for a Pyr lover.

8.  Due to their size, they are counter surfers.  Do not leave steaks on the counter and then go outside to change the oil in your truck.

9.  Everywhere you go folks will stop you and want to discuss your dawg.  My daughter finally suggested that I make  signs for him to wear with all the pertinent information in print so she wouldn't have to listen to the speech.  

The pros far outweigh the cons in my opinioin.  These are not dawgs for lackadaisical owners.  They require a lot of love and attention and you'd better get it straight that from the git go that you are the Alpha.

Good reasons to have a Pyr for a pal:

1.  They are huge.  And they are extremely handsome.  Women and girls like them.  Very much.  I have often been accused by my two legged friends of taking my Pyr trolling for the opposite sex.  It is a shame when your dawg is much more handsome than you but there you have it...

2.  They are loyal and loving to a fault.  Very affectionate animals.  As they age they take on an air of regality and reserve with strangers.  They are always friendly, unless they sniff danger, but remain aloof to strangers.  Very much a family animal.  Once they figure out their place in the pack they are solid.  They have an innate ability to discern friend from foe.

3. They are very intelligent.   This can be good and bad.  They can figure out how to open doors.  Get out of things.  Trick you.  But they aim to please and having an intelligent animal around keeps one humble.  And amused.

4.  They are amazing with children.  Very protective and loving.  I think they percieve them as sheep, the animals they were bred to guard.  Guard, not herd.  

5.  For the most part they have no interest in retrieving anything.  You don't have to waste your time continually throwing crap and watching your dog bring it back.  They are playful however.  

6. They bark.  No one will ever sneak up on you.  Not even a butterfly at 10,000 feet.  You will always have time to lock and load with a Pyr around.  

7.  They are fearless.  They will, and have been known to, fight a bear if one happens to be in your neighborhood and insults you.  When they are young they are seemingly afraid of anything out of the ordinary but will rise to whatever nastiness arrives if given the chance.

8.  They do not stink and have a self cleaning coat.  Folks weave their hair for clothing as it does not have the ususal dawg stink when wet.  I haven't bathed Woodrow since last summer and every time I go to the city folks ask me if I just bathed him.

9. They are great pards.  Just fun to have around.  I take time to train mine but even one's that have little to no training are well mannered.  Mostly.  

10.  Once grown, it takes awhile as they are slow maturers, they are low key. Barker loungers I call them.  They are not yippers.  They are not frenetic.  They are mellow fellows.

11.  They are great with livestock.  If, like me, you are around horses and cattle a lot it comes in mighty handy.  Woodrow will nuzzle noses with the horses.  He'll sit by the fence line and just watch the cattle.  The cattle will come up to the line and stare back.

12.  They love women and women love them.  I think I mentioned that.

13.  They are dang funny guys.  Some folks will tell you that dawgs have no sense of humor.  A Pyr will dispell that notion quickly.

14. As long as they are allowed to be a part of the family they are quite happy in pretty much any environment.  I have had the luxury of being able to take my dawgs with me to work every day.  Not only has it been a luxury, it has been a blessing.  It lends to a very strong bond between man and dog.
Woodrow has the luck to be living on a very large ranch.  His grandpaw, Wade Hampton, lived with my daughter and I in a duplex in the big city with a tiny tiny yard for a number of years and was happy as a pig in a poke.  

Anyhow, that's my rant about Pyrs.  Great dogs for the right kind of person.  At the very least you should google them for some images.  Beautiful animals.  While mostly a peasants dawg they found favor and were the court dawgs of Loui XIV.  They were called "the gentlemen with white fur".  It is an old breed and not one that is overbred.  Find a good reputable breeder who has taken the time to socialize the pups from an early age and you'll get a fine one.  There are "Rescue" programs around the country.  You can find a very good deal on a pup that is a little more mature that way and miss the puppy chew a thon.

So, you'll get a ton of different breed suggestions.  Check em out.  Read about them.  Talk to folks that own them and pick one that's right for you and yours.  Nothing better than having a hound around.  

Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
--Mark Twain
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#21]
i have a dog thats a german shepherd/golden retreiver mix. (either that or its gs/ yellow lab) - they said retreiver but looking at the big poster in the vets office, she looks more yellow lab.

she's been a great dog (she's about 10 now) - she's gotten her fair share of groundhogs, but is very gentle with our cat and little kids.  actually, she's kind of a wimp.  

she loves the 'lake' and also loves to go wading.  she has done some swimming in the past, but for some reason prefers to keep her feet on solid ground.  but she definitely goes in up to her neck all the time.  (part of that might have to do with my hunch she was the runt of the litter, b/c she should've gotten bigger)  - she weighs about 60lbs.  

overall a great dog though.  another i would recommend is a german shepherd/husky mix.  we had one of those when i was little, and my cousin had one too.  

Just make sure you get a dog thats right for the size house and yard you have.  She used to take quite a bit of work to exercise.  now she's old and lazy, so its not as bad.  my neighbors black lab is nearly crazy, it doesnt stop running.  one day i went over there and decided i wasnt going to quit throwing the ball if he was going to keep bringing it... it took a looong time.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Go rescue yourself a good mut. We rescued or dog, He is Golden retreiver and collie, Very good listening dog, loves to play with kids, And can swim darn good, and is an awesome retriever, I did not have to work with him much on that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Chi-wowa (sp).
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So I got a new job, moving to a new city, my girl is coming with me.  We want a dog -- bad.

I hunt some, so a retriever would be great.  Good watch/guard dog would be a big plus.  Otherwise, just looking for a good dog.

Any suggestions?  The girl wants a Vizsla -- anyone have experience with these?  I can make it happen, but would like some advice.

Thanks.

GEt a Mutt.
I have a half Rott half Retriever. Recsued her. She was only 1 yr old when we got her.

Awesome playful and loving, yet also scary and protective.

She looks like a regular Rott with a long tail. If I let her hair grow out, it gets like a Golden Retriever, but with the Rott colors.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top