Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 4:15:16 PM EDT
Does anyone have one of these?  How does it shoot?  is the trigger adjustable? How does it compare to other international class pistols?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one, I don't know about an adjustable trigger. The trigger is great the way it came out of the box. I have the 6 inch target model and it shoots great. Feels great in my hand. I don't know about other 22 pistols.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Prices vary widely on these.  I've been shopping for a deal on one of these for a while.  These guns are smooth and tight.  They simply MUST shoot well.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I would hope so....

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would hope so....

Anyone else?

I am thrilled with my Ruger MKII. It has a 6 inch bull barrel and is more accurate than I am. I have actually used it to shoot the primer of a 20 guage shotgun shell at 20 yards before. If there is a .22 pistol more accurate than that, I sure as hell can't use it any better.

Sig's trailsides seem to be very well made pistols. I almost bought one, but I hardly ever shoot my MKII as it is.

A good .22 pistol is great fun.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
They looked interesting when they first come out but after handling one, I lost interest.  It's too light for accuracy and overpriced.  I like my Ruger Mk II but mostly shoot a Ciener conversion on my 1911.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
How much does one cost?

Thanx
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How much does one cost?

Thanx

Trailsides can be had for between 400 and 500 bucks usually.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 4 friends who own various versons of the Trailsides. They also own the Ruger Mk.II target guns.

Everyone of them can outshoot the Ruger with the Sig.

And it's a DREAM to clean compaired to the POS Ruger.

Wight? How much weight do you NEED to be accurate?

I'm looking for a 22 pistol. I'm thinking of the new Sig Mosquito when it becomes available in a month or so.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I've looked at them but decided they’re a bit overpriced.

The triggerpull is great.

OTOH, the grip is just too fat for me.  Plus, I just in principal don’t like the barrel being an integral part of the frame.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't own one, but I have shot one before and it shoots like a dream... Very accurate and just plain feels good to shoot. Its quite a hefty price for a plinker, but its a great little gun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a 4.5" target model.  Best trigger I have ever felt.  The perverbial glass rod.  But it's finish was bubbling in weird places and it wouldn't stay open on the last shot so I sent it back.  They said it wasn't repairable and they sent me a 6" model which bummed me out a bit but it took 6 months to get that.  The trigger on the new one isn't nearly as nice.  Kinda mushy actually.  But the pistol is exceptionally accurate and I think the longer sight radius does help.

One thing is that they tend to gum up with the target ammunition and you need to clean it fairly often or you get ftfs.

To tell the truth, I haven't shot the thing in about a year.  I find myself shooting the Buckmark Camper almost every time I go out.  Accurate, reliable, good trigger and about 2/3 the price I paid for the trailside.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't own one, but I have shot one before and it shoots like a dream... Very accurate and just plain feels good to shoot. Its quite a hefty price for a plinker, but its a great little gun.

I currently shoot a Pardini .22 Standard pistol, which runs around $1000+, so I saw the trailside as a "cheap" alternative.  I shoot in the ISSF style events, but the Pardini isn't mine.  So I was loking for something of my own.  This would not be a plinker.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the 6" Target Model. Sweet I have also handled and shot the Comp. model with the ergo grip and muzzle weight. Sweeter.

Get it !
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
the POS Ruger.

Uhhh....

As a man who owns more hanguns than most people do teeth, your assesment of the Ruger as a "POS" is hideously misinformed.

It is an excellent pistol and feeds EVERYTHING.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the POS Ruger.

Uhhh....

As a man who owns more hanguns than most people do teeth, your assesment of the Ruger as a "POS" is hideously misinformed.

I happen to be a Ruger hater but the fact is that the Ruger MKI and MKII pistols are probably the best .22 pistols ever made. Along with that, the Ruger 10/22 is the best shooter grade 22 auto loader EVEER devised.  They were reliable, accurate and easy to maintain once you learned how.  Of course they went ahead and executed a great idea in horrible fashion with the MKIII, but Ruger usually doesn't let something unreliable stay in the field long so I am sure the MKIII, once retro fitted and debugged will become a classic also..  

Onto the Trailside.....gotta admit, I have out of .22's for a long time now.....but the 22 Trailside feels sweet and gets very good field marks all the way around.  VERY tempting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#16]
You evidently got a good one. Mine is absolute JUNK. And it is the 6" bull barrel in stainless steel.

I say again POS!!!!  

Ruger = JUNK !!!

May Bill Ruger rot in HELL>
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You evidently got a good one. Mine is absolute JUNK. And it is the 6" bull barrel in stainless steel.

I say again POS!!!!  

Ruger = JUNK !!!

ONE????  I have owned more Ruger MKIIs and 10/22s than I have fingers and toes!!!  The only issue I ever had with any of them was when Ruger started using thinner 9 weaker/cheaper ) magazine springs in their mags in the mid to late nineties.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I say again POS!!!!  

Ruger = JUNK !!!

You are the first person I have ever heard of who has been disappointed with a MKII.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I own a 6" Trailside.  I like light guns (IBT Glock bashing).

A friend who is a 1911 fan prefers the heavy barrel Ruger for the same reason - it handles kinda like a 1911.  (I don't like shooting the 1911 much - I prefer the way a Glock handles, but I will hasten to add that the 1911 is a fine weapon.)

My Trailside tends to misfeed high-velocity 22 ammo (the stuff packed loose in a square box seems to be exclusively high-velocity).  Standard velocity Blazer ammo (which costs a little more) works fine in mine.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the POS Ruger.

Uhhh....

I loved my Ruger till I picked up a Browning Buckmark .
The ruger is still nice , but the browning puts it to shame
at 50 yds . Not to mention that the trigger on the browning
from the factory rivals my worked 1911 .
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the POS Ruger.

Uhhh....

He is either being intentional obtuse or worse.

The Ruger Mk I-III is one of the most widely used competition target pistols in use in this country. I suggest he take a trip to Camp Perry and find this out.

I cannot see spending $500+ on a Sig Trailside when I can buy 2 Mk IIs that will shoot better than I can (and most everybody else contrary to what some say) or buy a MK II and a Single Six.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I had one for a while, sold it and bought an S&W Model 41.  No comparison!  If you want a quality .22 handgun, get a 41.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I own a 6" Trailside.  I like light guns (IBT Glock bashing).

A friend who is a 1911 fan prefers the heavy barrel Ruger for the same reason - it handles kinda like a 1911.  (I don't like shooting the 1911 much - I prefer the way a Glock handles, but I will hasten to add that the 1911 is a fine weapon.)

My Trailside tends to misfeed high-velocity 22 ammo (the stuff packed loose in a square box seems to be exclusively high-velocity).  Standard velocity Blazer ammo (which costs a little more) works fine in mine.

The Trailsides don't like HV ammo, had the same problem with mine. I use Eley.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I had one for a while, sold it and bought an S&W Model 41.  No comparison!  If you want a quality .22 handgun, get a 41.

The 41 is an excellent pistol. I would love to have one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

He is either being intentional obtuse or worse.

The Ruger Mk I-III is one of the most widely used competition target pistols in use in this country. I suggest he take a trip to Camp Perry and find this out.

I cannot see spending $500+ on a Sig Trailside when I can buy 2 Mk IIs that will shoot better than I can (and most everybody else contrary to what some say) or buy a MK II and a Single Six.

As I said, mine is capable of putting a bullet in the primer of a shotgun shell. If there are pistols more accurate than that, I sure as heck can't get it out of them.

My only regret is that I didn't get the blued one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
They took over Hammerlei, they were VERY GOOD in the first years, but have gone to shit.

I would recommend a S&W 41 if you can find one ($600+ for good one)

--ETA:  Hammerlie made AWESOME .22 handguns, then sig bought the company and sold them as "Trailsides", after cutting some corners....

Beretta's 87 is also an excellent option. Though I think I would prefer an old 41.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They took over Hammerlei, they were VERY GOOD in the first years, but have gone to shit.

I would recommend a S&W 41 if you can find one ($600+ for good one)

--ETA:  Hammerlie made AWESOME .22 handguns, then sig bought the company and sold them as "Trailsides", after cutting some corners....

Beretta's 87 is also an excellent option. Though I think I would prefer an old 41.

I looked at the model 41, I didn't like the trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top