Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 3:10:21 PM EDT
Here is a question for the hive mind. Wednesday evening I observed a large swarm of honey bees outside my trailer window. It seems they have taken up residence under my front step in the lower travel trailer body. Fortunately, they are not able to get into the residential portion. I have been spraying with wasp killer at dusk but large numbers are still here. Since we have killer bees in the area I do not want to become a pin cushion. What else should I do? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd call an exterminator.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Burn them out...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd call an exterminator.

I'm going with this option.  the thought of a few hundred bee stings just doesnt appeal to me for some reason
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
they really like it when you poke the hive with a stick and tell 'em "get a move on!"

works every time
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
they really like it when you poke the hive with a stick and tell 'em "get a move on!"

works every time

That's how I get rid of girlfriends - poke them with a stick and tell 'em to "get a move on!"
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
brake cleaner or Tannerite

Where's the Tannerite bee pics?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#8]
"Hold my bear and watch this"......Oh wait...ummmmm.......
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Starting fluid spray. Just  make damn sure there is NO sources of ignition anywhere around. You HAVE to get the Queen Bee. Or mix a little diazanon in some suger water, place it OFF the ground where they can find it and let em wax themselves off. Only need a few drops of the concentrate to make some potent stuff.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#10]
It could bee worse.

It could bee these bees...

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#11]
If only we had an expert on bees on arfcom!

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#12]
this is how beekeepers do it:

Wear a beekeeping suit while doing this.  If you don't have one, wear 3-4 pairs of jeans, a few long sleeve shirts, leather gloves and a misquito net.  Basic idea: no skin showing, with clothing thick enough so if you get stung, it won't penetrate your clothing.  Beekeeping suits work by not letting the bees grab hold of the suit - its too slick for them. But since you probly don't have one, just wear something plenty thick, or leather.

You want to smoke them out.  Bees HATE smoke.  Fix yourself something that will burn with maximum smoke and contained in something that you can "poof" out the smoke.  I don't have any ideas for this, so you can use your own ingenuity.

Once you have them smoked out, look for what they have been "building" under your steps and remove it to a safe place - away from people.  Bees will usually leave when you take their home.  OR you can kill the queen bee.  Once she's gone, the rest will...buzz off.

This should work for killer bees also, but I really don't know because I've never handled them.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Might wanna consider moving  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Shotgun + Video = The Win
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
this is how beekeepers do it:

You want to smoke them out.  Bees HATE smoke.  Fix yourself something that will burn with maximum smoke and contained in something that you can "poof" out the smoke.  I don't have any ideas for this, so you can use your own ingenuity.

I always thought the smoke made them, well, high.

One thing I did remember from a guy I know who keeps/kept bees:  When the hive starts to get all like , they release some kind of chemical alarm that smells like, IIRC, bananas.  May be useful information.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a thing of bee killer, spray the entire can directly into the hole. Throw a match in. There will be a huge fireball and it will burn like napalm. Have a hose at the ready, I almost burned my house down doing this but I took out a wasp nest the size of a basket ball.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm actually surprised he hasn't chimed in yet.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#20]
The swarm in question just may be honeybees. They are docile at this stage (swarming) with nothing to protect except the queen. They will move on in a day or two, so don't worry about getting stung. No need to kill them. As for you guys with the fire and tannerite suggestions, it shows your maturity, GET SOME
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Thomson's Water Seal (used to coat and seal wood for decks that sit in the sun so they dont rot).  Coat it on the bees and they drop like a rock.  The seal coats their wings and they cant fly.  It works, trust me.  Just use a paint sprayer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Get the foaming bee and wasp killer. It shoots about 20 feet so you can stay nice and far away while you hose them down. The foam keeps the "suck" to the hive. And it kills them almost instantly. I have shot them out of the air with this stuff. Apply it liberally, because as soon as you start to hose them, they will try and empty the hive and attack you. Cover the hive in the foam and they can't get off/out of it. No matter what you do, be careful. Bee stings suck!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#23]
See if you can find a local Beekeeper, and ask him if he will come get the hive.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn,those Africanized bees are everywhere down there! I used to poke around the old closed AF bases down there,was warned to watch out for the bees,they make hives everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the help. I called a pro, he will be here this afternoon. So far I have not been stung. But then, I am not going outside.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#27]
You want to smoke them out. Bees HATE smoke.

Negatory!  Bees react to smoke like they do to a forest fire... they huddle in the hive and become very docile.  They don't run from the smoke.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#28]
P22 and a coupl'a bricks of CCI Stingers.
...pun intended
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You want to smoke them out. Bees HATE smoke.

Negatory!  Bees react to smoke like they do to a forest fire... they huddle in the hive and become very docile.  They don't run from the smoke.

A small amount of smoke will calm them.  Large amounts of smoke will make them leave the hive.  I work for a bee keeper.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#30]
in that case, pay 50 bucks and get a nice smoke grenade, pop it under there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I wonder, if they were killers bees, and they were purposefully provoked, would the provokee be liable if they killed something, like the neighbor's dog or worse a child? Here in West TX I would be calling a pro too.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#32]
For everyones info. The pro was here. Beekeepers in this neck of the woods charge to remove bees because of the diseased, africanized bees etc. Since mine were up under the trailer they did not want them. The exterminator pulled open the bottom of the trailer, dusted and sprayed. He removed the honeycombs also. If you don't remove the combs other bees will move in. There are bees flying all over the place here...at least a thousand. According to the pro they are dying. If any are left by Wednesday he will return. Expensive, but he had a bee suit and I did not.

It is nice and cool inside the trailer, I am drinking a Shiner and watching the carnage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top