Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2005 2:53:24 PM EDT
Went to see Star Wars this afternoon. Got there early enough to have a pretty decent spot in the line to get in. They start letting us in, and when we get into the theater naturally the good seats in the center of the theater were already staring to fill up. There was a group of seats pretty much smack dab in the middle of theater, in fact it was two rows of about five seats each right in the middle that no one was sitting in, and we head for those. As we are sitting down, the guy in the row behind says that he is saving all of ten of those seats.

This irritates me, because I was standing in line and now this guy expects me to let people who were not standing in line have the best seats in the theater. So, we sit down anyway and get comfortable. He refers to us as "rude", but that is all that comes of it. Some of his party didn't even get there until 10-15 minutes after the movie started, thats a solid hour and change after we got there.

What does the Hive Mind think of saving seats in a situation like that? Enquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
you should have gotten there earlier than that guy!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Some theaters have a rule. One seat saved only per person. All the others are up for grabs.  I would have told them to fuck off and sat down.  If they didnt like they can go get the usher who would have told the to STFU and sit sir.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuckem. Saving one or two for someone in the restroom is one thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
You want a seat, get there early.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I got there earlier than most of the people who were with him....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Draw down!

Somebody had to say it!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Draw down!

Somebody had to say it!

LOL. My thoughts are that the last thing I want is a violent confrontation over a stupid seat in a movie theater, and this was never going in that direction.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I know, I know...
I saw the exact same thing happen when I went last night.
Guy was saving 2 seats on either side of him and some dude got all pissy.

I guess I didn't care, cause I had a perfect seat!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Or brought an GF with big hair and lots of perfume.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Went to see Star Wars this afternoon. Got there early enough to have a pretty decent spot in the line to get in. They start letting us in, and when we get into the theater naturally the good seat in the center of the theater were already staring to fill up. There was a group of seats pretty much smack dab in the middle of theater, in fact it was two rows of about five seats each right in the middle that no one was sitting in, and we head for those. As we are sitting down, the guy in the row behind says that he is saving all of ten of those seats.

This irritates me, because I was standing in line and now this guy expects me to let people who were not standing in line have the best seats in the theater. So, we sit down anyway and get compfortable. He refers to us as "rude", but that is all that comes of it. Some of his party didn't even get there until 10-15 minutes after the movie started, thats a solid hour and change after we got there.

What does the Hive Mind think of saving seats in a situation like that? Enquiring minds want to know.

Good Shoot.
Unless their asses are in the concession line / rest room, no saving shit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Some theaters have a rule. One seat saved only per person. All the others are up for grabs.  I would have told them to fuck off and sat down.  If they didnt like they can go get the usher who would have told the to STFU and sit sir.

I agree 1-2 seats only per person. It could possibly be expanded to 3-4 with coats/personal effects as a mitigating factor. 10 is BS.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I know, I know...
I saw the exact same thing happen when I went last night.
Guy was saving 2 seats on either side of him and some dude got all pissy.

I guess I didn't care, cause I had a perfect seat!

Two seats would bother me too, but not a lot, because I can see myself doing that for people who came with me and are getting snacks or going to the bathroom. But this was a big group of seats right in the middle of the theater, and for an ultra hot movie that is bound to be crowded, and some of these people were not even close to being there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1.

The informal rule is that you can only save seats for people who have already arrived and occupied those particular seats.

Saving seats for someone who hasn't even arrived yet is like saving spaces for your friends in the grocery checkout line - It don't work that way! First come, first served.

"Excuse me, dude, but I'm saving all the seats in this theater for my friends."
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been to theaters that had seat numbers printed on your tickets, and you were expected to sit in that seat.

Of course there were still a-holes that couldn't figure it out.

But I'm with ya, I'm not standing in line to get a good seat and let some jerk off save an entire row for his lazy buds.

But I would feel bad if a bunch of handicap kids showed up to take those ten seats.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I can understand saving one or two seats (and that's only if the people being waited for are already in the theatre; either in the bathroom, concession stand, etc).

But 10 fucking seats!....

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

The informal rule is that you can only save seats for people who have already arrived and occupied those particular seats.

Saving seats for someone who hasn't even arrived yet is like saving spaces for your friends in the grocery checkout line - It don't work that way! First come, first served.

"Excuse me, dude, but I'm saving all the seats in this theater for my friends."

Exactly, I felt a little bad because it turned out he was saving the seats for his group of developmentally disabled people out on excursion. But then I decided that if he wanted to try reserve a block of seats for his group that was arriving later, he should have done it off to the side seats. Particularly because it sucks for everyone when people arrive after the movie has started and have to find their friends in the middle of the theater, and get situated, instead of being off to the side.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've been to theaters that had seat numbers printed on your tickets, and you were expected to sit in that seat.

But I'm with ya, I'm not standing in line to get a good seat and let some jerk off save an entire row for his lazy buds.

But I would feel bad if a bunch of handicap kids showed up to take those ten seats.

D'oh!  See above post. That is kind of waht happened. But again, I think that if you want to try and save a bunch of seats in the theater, no matter who your group is, that you should do it off to the side and not take all the best seats.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Depends on how many tickets he has in his pockets! Just saving seats with only one ticket on him, the guy can kiss my ass. If he has ten tickets in his pocket, he paid for ten seats where ever the hell he wants them to be. Then, your shit out of luck in my book.

CH
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Depends on how many tickets he has in his pockets! Just saving seats with onlyone ticket on him, the guy can kiss my ass. If he has ten tickets in his pocket, he paid for ten seats where e0ver the hell he wants them to be. Then, your shit out of luck in my book.

CH

That seems fair to me as well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Depends on how many tickets he has in his pockets! Just saving seats with only one ticket on him, the guy can kiss my ass. If he has ten tickets in his pocket, he paid for ten seats where ever the hell he wants them to be. Then, your shit out of luck in my book.

CH

+1

He pays for them, they are his.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

THAT'S AWESOME!!

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The Onion, right?  My favorite response to that was "Good Cock Punch Needing Bill"

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I save seats for friends...never ones that aren't already there, you know using the restroom or something...not they should be here in an hour.

However, I am a hypocrite, if someone is saving a seat for someone and it is somewhere I want to sit I just sit there, most people don't say anyting some do and I visually DRAW DOWN (i.e. the I've killed for less than this look, I haven't nor would, but they don't know that )

People just give up and sometimes move...I never care, even with friends I will sit 10 rows away from them if i can get a better spot. It's not like you can sit there and have a conversation with them anyhow that's what the car ride home is for.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Bullshit.  

You can't save a whole fucking row of seats.  

You can save ONE for your spouse or buddy.  

That's it.

If he wanted to save the seats for a particular group, he should have arranged that with the theatre.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I wouldn't... well...only if they were in wheelchairs I wouldn't feel bad.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't... well...only if they were in wheelchairs I wouldn't feel bad.

I felt just a little bad when I learned that they were mentally slow folks that he was saving seats for, but I got over it pretty quick.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

D'oh!  See above post. That is kind of waht happened. But again, I think that if you want to try and save a bunch of seats in the theater, no matter who your group is, that you should do it off to the side and not take all the best seats.

Maybe I'm a cold hearted bastard, but it wouldn't make any difference to me.

There's one movie theater that I frequent that has a few prime seats in the back that are reserved for the wheel chair bound and their chaperone/friends. I don't sit there and never would.

If the situation was as you explained it then the person who organized the excursion should have called ahead to theater management and made prior arraignments or accommodations; especially if it was that many seats.

BTW... did anyone else arrive and take those seats in between the time you sat down and the asshats guests showed up?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I'm a cold hearted bastard, but it wouldn't make any difference to me.

There's one movie theater that I frequent that has a few prime seats in the back that are reserved for the wheel chair bound and their chaperone/friends. I don't sit there and never would.

If the situation was as you explained it then the person who organized the excursion should have called ahead to theater management and made prior arraignments or accommodations; especially if it was that many seats.

BTW... did anyone else arrive and take those seats in between the time you sat down and the asshats guests showed up?

When we sat in the seats, he reorganized and seized a group of seats further off to the side. I dont think anyone challenged him for them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Total BS in dire need of being called such.

If there is one or two, fine, but those people better be in the building.

All he has proven by claiming that he's saving 10 seats is that HE is the stupidest one of his group, because veryone else is free to stroll in whenever because asshat has "claimed" all the good seats.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#31]
He was just trying to do his job but I would have also contacted management.  They could have been seated first, I would not have any problems with that. Or they should have taped off and area for them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/cockpunch.JPG

The Onion, right?  My favorite response to that was "Good Cock Punch Needing Bill"

I don't recall where I found it. Originally it had a bunch of celebrity type names included (Bono was one), that I Photochopped out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#34]
you should have "Darth Vadared" his @ss
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a similar situlation happen in a theater. It was chrismas day/eve/ and my parents decide to take family to the movies-bare in mind this is opening day for movie(lord of rings). So we arrive and only sits available in middle was in front of asshat who had a cass and decide that he was specail and got 2 seats in front for his leg. He told my mother "he was there first so she better move." Which at that time i got pretty pissed told him better move or his leg might need to go back to doctor. We begin to agrue cause of his specialness and which He didnt have more then one ticket for himself. I remember his wife saying stuff about his leg and i marry xmas cause i was so mean i ruined there time.Well my mom told me to leave and she dealt with stupid leg whole movie which i felt bad about it cause a jerk can complain and get his way.

IMO you shouldnt go to movies on opening night and expect specail treatment, and if do buy more then one ticket/and sit in spot less wanted by the rest. Why should rest people deemed to be less important then you. I
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Pop a CS grenade on your way to the restroom.

Movie Theatre Tip: If you hate having someone sitting in front of you which ruins your viewing pleasure; arrive early and pour some of your soda on that seat.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I worked at a theater when the steaming pile of shit called Star Wars "The phantom menace" came out. Some tards actualy taped off two entire rows and said they were reserved. They actualy put masking tape at the entrance of the rows to try and reserve them for their other nerd friends.

So what did I do? I kicked the tards out. No Star Wars for kids that tape off rows.

Man do I have stories about working there...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#39]
10 seats? fuck off

1 or 2 ? ok
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#40]
ok i see saving a few seats for your buddies fine as long as have something like your jacket placed on the seat.  Anything more than 3 seats and i'd let them find their own seats when they show up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Out here in CA land, one must contact theater management for reserved seats. Usually, there needs to be a good reason for doing such ... handicap group, etc. The management reserve the seats with their sign. Anybody else that tries to reserve seating on their own without management approval gets a warning, then the boot. If they are rude, they get the boot right there.

I've never seen management reserve seats right in the middle. It is usually off to the side.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Saving one or two seats is generally okay in my book. His wife and one other may have been in the restroom, getting food/popcorn, been handicapped and didn't want to stand in line for an hour, etc.

However, saving ten seats is well beyond what I'd consider to be acceptable movie theater etiquette.

I'd have seated myself, as well.

I'm leaving in a bit to go see the film myself. I hope I don't have to deal with a similiar asshat...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got there earlier than most of the people who were with him....

Tough shit for the seat saver. Tell him to bring his friends with him next time. I'd have taken the seat directly in front of him.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Again if he paid for 10 seats, tough shit they are his. If he has only one ticket, he has no claim.
CH
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#46]
If a large group of my friends go to the movies and we arrive at different times, the ones who get their earlier will sit in every other seat of a row. That way, nobody is going to ask us if the seats are taken in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#47]
The seats are not numbered, 1st come 1st seated.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Exactly, I felt a little bad because it turned out he was saving the seats for his group of developmentally disabled people out on excursion. But then I decided that if he wanted to try reserve a block of seats for his group that was arriving later, he should have done it off to the side seats. Particularly because it sucks for everyone when people arrive after the movie has started and have to find their friends in the middle of the theater, and get situated, instead of being off to the side.

NO excuse... You should have told him if he wanted to hold that many seats he should have rented the whole theater.

My other gripe with theater seats is when you get there early, get a good seat, and the theater fills up but peopel naturally leave spaces between one another.... then a couple of asshats come in late and ask people to move over so they can sit together. That shit pisses me off double. The tickets should stop being sold and the doors should be locked once the previews are done. Who the hell in their right mind wants to start watching a movie 15+ minutes into it?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#49]
If you put you popcorn or coat on the seat, that's fair game.

But 10 seats?  Go sit in the far back if you want to try and reserve that many.  Douche.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#50]
The correct response is "You're too late. I've had these two saved since May 1."  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top