Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 1:36:50 PM EDT
Chancellor Palpatine mentioned his master had the power to manipulate metachlorians.  Do you think the Sith caused the birth of Anakin?  That would make sense his confusion and gravitating towards the darkside.....his birth being unnatural and all.

Oh BTW, Lucas is redeemed!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
No, and no.  Lucas there's no way Lucas can make up for those abortions.  The prequels were needed to explain passing references in Episode IV.  It is such a pity they were handled the way they were, and only one person's to blame for that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
for the sake of the story, I would say yes.
why else would it be brought up?

I'm more intrigued by Qui-Gon learning to achive immortality...
that helps explain the dissapearing/ghost thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That would indicate a HUGE secrete conspiracy by the Sith, probably one arranged long, long, ago.

Did the Sith ever have control of the galactic government?  Seems like a long term goal for them if they never have.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No, and no.  Lucas there's no way Lucas can make up for those abortions.  The prequels were needed to explain passing references in Episode IV.  It is such a pity they were handled the way they were, and only one person's to blame for that.

One has to look at it from Lucas' perspective. Vader IS Star Wars. He is the main charachter. It is his journey from child prodigy to uber-villain to redemption that is the compelling part of the story. The prequels exist solely to explain Anakin. Do I think they were as well done as they could have been? No, but then again I marvel at the sheer vastness of Lucas' imagination.

I could never bring something like Star Wars forth from my brain. The man deserves a lot of credit for that alone.

The first two prequels lead up to this third episode, the one where we see the emergence of Vader. Thus when I go to see it tomorrow I hope it is as good as some are saying it is.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I plan on watching it later tonight, I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thus when I go to see it tomorrow I hope it is as good as some are saying it is.

You will not be disapointed.

I agree the last two movies were fodder; the fluff we had to cringe through to get to ROTS.  As angry as I was with the last two they were worth it to see ROTS.  It's amazing how Lucas put it all togather.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:19:28 AM EDT
[#7]
WOW!

I really liked it. All around an excellent film.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:10:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Very well done.  I think it is the best of the three new ones.  It filled in the blanks in the old ones.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:13:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would indicate a HUGE secrete conspiracy by the Sith, probably one arranged long, long, ago.

Did the Sith ever have control of the galactic government?  Seems like a long term goal for them if they never have.

Well it was said that Darth Plaugus taught his apprentice (Sideous) everything he knew.
So the Senator/Chancellor/Emperor/Sideous could have planned the birth.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Chancellor Palpatine mentioned his master had the power to manipulate metachlorians.  Do you think the Sith caused the birth of Anakin?  That would make sense his confusion and gravitating towards the darkside.....his birth being unnatural and all.

Absolutely, yes.  Palpatine tells Anakin "According to legend he [Darth Plagueis] could directly influence the midi-chlorians to create life; with such knowledge, to maintain life in someone already living would seem a small matter, dont you agree?"

This explains Anakins' being a virgin birth
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm more intrigued by Qui-Gon learning to achive immortality...
that helps explain the dissapearing/ghost thing.

The ideas could be one and the same.

Supposedly, the "Journal of the Whills" that Lucas referenced oh so long ago possibly is the key to Jedi immortality, but it's been lost. The possibility exists that that is what Palpatine was referring to (and conceivably what happened to Qui Gon).

I need to see the movie again soon!

Edit: Also, YES, I really do think that Palpatine somehow engineered Anakin's birth... Even in Ep. I, you heard him say "We'll have to keep an eye on you" at the end... He knew even then.

#2: John_Wayne777, I think you'll love the movie. That "epic" Star Wars feeling is back!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not
He almost redeemed himself but dropped the ball by screwing up the continuity at the end.
Obi-Wan never knew there were twins, only the one boy, and yet here he is at the birth of the twins.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not
He almost redeemed himself but dropped the ball by screwing up the continuity at the end.
Obi-Wan never knew there were twins, only the one boy, and yet here he is at the birth of the twins.

I was just oing to ask about that, and how did the emp. or they guy that would be come him not know?(haven't seen the movie yet and don't really plan to  till it hits DVD)
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not

I was just oing to ask about that, and how did the emp. or they guy that would be come him not know?(haven't seen the movie yet and don't really plan to  till it hits DVD)

Because no one knew she was having twins until just before she gave birth
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not

Ok but if anikin was concived because of some "divine" interevention so to speak, why would the person that did it no know, and why in the other star wars flics is Ben not aware that she had twins, when in this one as somone poinnted out, he was there for the birth?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not

Ok but if anikin was concived because of some "divine" interevention so to speak, why would the person that did it no know, and why in the other star wars flics is Ben not aware that she had twins, when in this one as somone poinnted out, he was there for the birth?

The person who did it did know...it was Palpatine (or possibly his master, Plaguies).  The entire thing was a long term plot by the Sith to rise to power again and bring about the "chosen one."  The whole thing about bringing balance to the Force was that the Light side had been in control for thousands of years and the Chosen One would balance it by bringing the Dark side to power.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not

Wrong.

From Return of the Jedi:

Luke: Yoda spoke of another
Obi-Wan: The other he spoke of is your twin sister.
Luke: But I have no sister
Obi-Wan: To protect you from your father you were both hidden at birth. The emperor knew as I did that if Anakin were to have any offspring they would be a threat to him. That is the reason that your sister remains safely anonymous.
Luke: Leia, Leia's my sister!
Obi-Wan: Your insides serve you well. Bury your feelings Luke, they do you credit but they could be made to serve the emperor

ETA - In answer to the original question, yes I think that Palpatine engineered Anakin's birth.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not

Wrong.

From Return of the Jedi:

Obi-Wan: To protect you from your father you were both hidden at birth. The emperor knew as I did that if Anakin were to have any offspring they would be a threat to him. That is the reason that your sister remains safely anonymous.
Obi-Wan: Your insides serve you well. Bury your feelings Luke, they do you credit but they could be made to serve the emperor

ETA - In answer to the original question, yes I think that Palpatine engineered Anakin's birth.

Uhoh, due to the below post, I must withdraw my untill the matter is put to rest 100%
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not

Wrong.

From Return of the Jedi:

Nope the first guy is right. The story gets screwed up in Empire strikes back. Obi-wan refers to luke as being "our only hope" to which Yoda replies "no, there is another". This seems to infer that Obi-wan was unaware of luke's sister. To which he seems to change the story line in Return Of the Jedi.

Note: I saw the movie, at best it was OK. No real story, just wooden chracters. TOns of fighting and action scenes thats about it. Maybe he should've spent more time on the script than on busting his balls to make some super duper effects. ALl the characters of the originals were great and very memorable, out of these three what really was a great character? Jar-Jar? Padmay? Pre-Vader Anakin? What a joke! they all sucked! I just hope and pray he's done with this Foolishness, really. If small children ever ask me "what is star wars ?" I'll say it's episode 4,5,6 the first three don't even exsist. BTW- does anyone know if any movie "prequel" has ever been any good? I can't think of any.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I think Lucas did the best he could with the story's main problem, which is it alot bigger than just six movies. There are references to the Sith running the Galaxy at one time.

The story is just just to big and there are going to be alot of unanswered questions. Watching the animated Clone Wars story help me put everything in perspective for Ep. III but there many questions still left over from Pre Ep I.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not

Wrong.

From Return of the Jedi:

Nope the first guy is right. The story gets screwed up in Empire strikes back. Obi-wan refers to luke as being "our only hope" to which Yoda replies "no, there is another". This seems to infer that Obi-wan was unaware of luke's sister. To which he seems to change the story line in Return Of the Jedi.

Note: I saw the movie, at best it was OK. No real story, just wooden chracters. TOns of fighting and action scenes thats about it. Maybe he should've spent more time on the script than on busting his balls to make some super duper effects. ALl the characters of the originals were great and very memorable, out of these three what really was a great character? Jar-Jar? Padmay? Pre-Vader Anakin? What a joke! they all sucked! I just hope and pray he's done with this Foolishness, really. If small children ever ask me "what is star wars ?" I'll say it's episode 4,5,6 the first three don't even exsist. BTW- does anyone know if any movie "prequel" has ever been any good? I can't think of any.

It could also be that Leia had never shown any inclination to being Force sensitive, or that maybe Yoda was able to sense that she was but Obi-Wan couldnt so he didnt think that she would be able to challenge Vader and the Emperor.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not

Wrong.

From Return of the Jedi:

Right on!
t-stox with the backup.
Obi-Wan learned of the twin in ESB, not EpIII.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not

Wrong.

From Return of the Jedi:

Right on!
t-stox with the backup.

Wrong again. Go back further in the conversation in ROTJ:

Luke: I can't do it, I can't kill my own father.
Obi-Wan: Then the Emperor has already won. You were our last hope.

Obi-Wan still talks about Luke being the last hope of the Rebellion. Why? Because the second Death Star was almost operational. There wouldn't have been time to train Leia to become a Jedi before the Empire had finished off the Rebels.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not

Wrong.

From Return of the Jedi:

Right on!
t-stox with the backup.

Obi-Wan still talks about Luke being the last hope of the Rebellion. Why? Because the second Death Star was almost operational. There wouldn't have been time to train Leia to become a Jedi before the Empire had finished off the Rebels.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not

Wrong.

From Return of the Jedi:

Right on!
t-stox with the backup.

What the hell are you talking about? Who then was Yoda referring too in ESB?
There was no Death Star II in ESB.
Yoda told Obi-Wan that there was another.
They were Overtaken by Events in ROTJ. Two seperate references. Had Luke died in ESB Leia could've been trained. The revelation of the second Death Star meant that there was no longer any time. Vader had to be destroyed now. In ESB there was another in the person of Leia. In ROTJ Luke was their one shot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thus when I go to see it tomorrow I hope it is as good as some are saying it is.

You will not be disapointed.

I agree the last two movies were fodder; the fluff we had to cringe through to get to ROTS.  As angry as I was with the last two they were worth it to see ROTS.  It's amazing how Lucas put it all togather.

There is, I understand, also a lot of material missing about the growth and development of Anakin from Padawan to Jedi Knight. Cartoon network is running a series of short cartoons that cover the period of time between the end of the last film and the beginning of the current one. Wal-Mart has it on DVD if anyone is interested...
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Season 1 of Clone Wars is out.
Has season 2 been released?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top