Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 1:24:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
yep yep... too many stupid people raising kids.  Generally it's single moms.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
What the officer tells other folks to do was done to me as a child. I practice it on my children as well. I am told on a regular basis that my kids are very well behaved. I love my children and I would not short change them by being so wishy washy that they end up being little shits.

As an aside, my son could field stip a Sig P220 in the forth grade. His teacher flipped out when he told her this. I just smiled, good boy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Under the TV there is an X-Box and a DVD player.   Countless DVDs and music CDs litter the dresser and floor, along with video game accessories and a Gameboy.  What about in the closet, can you describe his clothes to me?  She tells me that he has a lot of clothes in there, mostly from Abercrombie and Fitch because that’s all he will wear.  There are also four pairs of sneakers, his old Playstation system and an electric guitar he got for Christmas last year.  Have you deprived him of the use of any of these luxuries?  With some trepidation in her voice she tells me that those are his things and he gets very upset if she bothers them.  Taking those things away from him would cause too many problems, she says.  It would embarrass him in front of his friends, and that might damage his self-esteem.

Therin lies the problem.  Disciplining her kid might "hurt his self-esteem".

And you wonder why you can't control your kid, lady?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw it so many times. Either fix my kid or fix my spouse.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Been there, done that... today.
IM coming your way, DF.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The words that should strike terror into the heart of a child should be "Just you wait until your father gets home."  Not having a father present kind of makes this hard, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 17 year old out of my house just because of his continual lack of authority and yes I did close to what the officer in the article said to do. It would work but would only be a temporary fix for a month or so and the same crap would start all over again.

After continual "man to man" talks with him nothing sunk in. The final straw was that he decided that he was going to stay out overnight Friday night at a buddy's house when told no by his mother on the phone even after he had cut class for the day. A note from his mother was left on the table that he read before heading back out stating to stay home and he still walked out.

I got home at 12:00 midnight from work, saw he was not home, packed all his crap into big black plastic bags and put it out on the lawn. The next day I changed the locks after work and we still did not hear from him. He showed up Sunday afternoon to get his stuff. He balmes it all on his Mom not giving him the "FREEDOM" to do what ever he wants. You want freedom my son, it is out through that door...

It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.

He is going to learn that "the good old days" of hard labor (chores) at the Woodrow's was nothing like reality.

He turns 18 in June. May GOD keep him safe.

RW3
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
My dumbass sister kept sneaking out the window and stealing the van to go to parties across town. These parties involved liquor, drugs, and sex, mainly with gang members. Worse yet, she took my cousin, who we basically raised since her mother is a total shithead, with her on several occasions and pressured the thirteen year-old to have sex with gang members in their twenties, drink liquor, smoke pot, etc. with her.

After being caught (and before we knew the full extent of the activities), she was severely grounded and had all her stuff confiscated and put in the attic (by me, of course, since I do all the physical labor around the house). So naturally the dumbass does it again that very night. The cousin is caught riding around in a car with some high school students who were arrested for street racing, open containers, and underage drinking by the cops and brought home to my very pissed parents. My sister is still unaccounted for but didn't steal the van this time since the keys were locked up now. After an hour of intensive grilling (and a few good swats on the ass the likes of which I never received more than once in my life, being a quick learner) my cousin finally spilled the beans, confessed everything, and called my sister to tell her she'd better come home. She also spilled the beans and let slip that my parents knew she was out and my sister basically said "oh well, I'll come home when I want to."

The locks were changed that night, the window was locked, and I slept in her bed after changing the sheets just in case she tried sneaking back in. The next day what hadn't been put in the attic was put in garbage bags and placed on the curb. In the process, weed, condoms, and other items were found and destroyed. As far as my parents were concerned, she wasn't coming back.

The little shit then proceeded to write my parents letters that were basically designed to do nothing more than hurt them, especially my mother, and spread lies about them to anyone who cared to listen, especially about my dad. She told people that my dad was a drunken (he's never touched alcohol in his life and considers it beneath him) maniac who kept the whole locked in the house 24/7 with bullet-proof doors and dead bolts (obviously didn't work well if the bitch was sneaking out to party on a regular basis) and sat up at night in a chair with a gun waiting for someone to break in so he could shoot them (also untrue).

I predicted that shortly before her 18th birthday she'd come back with some sob story about how evil the gang banger she'd shacked up with (who'd been previously arrested on drug charges and was suspected as being involved in more than one drive-by shooting) and how she was sorry and wanted to come home, then would take her things and run like a thief in the night (again) the minute she turned 18 and could legally keep them. My parents agreed, and right on cue, she showed up and did exactly that. My parents let her come back for a week or so and gave her back only practical possessions (mostly clothing) while keeping anything of value stored away where she couldn't get to it. Also on cue, she snuck out the window with her things and hitched a ride with one of her shithead friends back to the flophouse across town. My parents were unsurprised and vaguely glad she took the things necessary for her survival that they'd given her (though it's unlikely she thought of it like that) and considered the matter done.

It's been more than a year. She's come back for Christmas and a few family events and is now back on speaking terms with my parents, though I consider her worthless gutter trash and make no attempts to conceal my contempt for her.

She'd been rescued from abusive parents, adopted by loving Christians who raised her, gave her an education, and got her a free ride through college to get her dream job: becoming a gourmet chef. She repayed them by pulling this stunt and living like her birth parents. Some gratitude.

Now the little shit has managed to get knocked up and her idiot boyfriend is starting to look for a new source of tail. Naturally, she wants to move back in and leech off of us and my parents are, grudgingly, considering it, if only so their bastard grandchild gets a decent start in life. I predict the bitch will abandon the kid with my parents and go back to life as a whore as soon as possible. Meanwhile, my parents, who are struggling to pay for my college, the house, cars, utilities, etc. are going to have deal with the added financial burden of the slut and her offspring.

I dunno why she's so fucked up. Her younger sister, who we also adopted, has turned out to be a worthwhile human being and even my cousin, who've had for the last couple years, has improved greatly over what she was when her mother had her, especially now that the shithead is out of the house. I turned out to be a respectful, productive member of society and someone with morals and a code of ethics who honors his parents. So what's her problem? Too few brain cells, or was she just born to be worthless?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]
My standard response to parents who call about their kids is based on the childs age.

"You had 15 years to screw him up ma'am. I cant fix him in the next 15 minutes."
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]
My first born is due in July.....

My wife and I discussed this alread, no personal TV for the child (or any future children), EVER, no video game consoles at all, computer is in family areas and use is strictly up to the parents (when old enough to use one), I am not buying th ekids a car, they can buy their own damn car and insurance.  They WILL do chores around the land or they are not getting the good food we all are eating, they will get whatever cheap MRE I feel like they are eating (the Canuck Tuna fish  ones are nasty...)

When our children reach 18 they are either going to school, going on a mission, getting a job, or joining the Army

those are their choices, none of this living with mom and dad until they are 26 crap

Oh did I mention we are making most of their clothes at home?  bet teenagers will just love that
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag. I'd like to show this thread to my wife.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The words that should strike terror into the heart of a child should be "Just you wait until your father gets home."  Not having a father present kind of makes this hard, doesn't it?

Worked for me, and my Dad hardly ever touched me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top