Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 10:42:26 AM EDT
The other thread about RC Choppers got me interested in buying one.

Are they difficult to fly? What's a good starting model? Can you do anything neat with them like put a small and cheap wireless camera on them and make video?

I tried an RC plane a ways back and the thing was a piece of crap. I couldn't fly it for shit and it ended up being a complete waste of money . Are RC choppers the same way?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#1]
R/C helo is harder to fly than R/C planes.

I have been flying planes for 18 years, and I have wasted at least 1000 bucks in Helo's

Get with someone that knows how to dial them in, and can teach you how to fly them..

Lots of guys think they look Cool and then buy them to crash them real fast, or get to scared to build them and they sit...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
very hard to fly, very exspencive, well worth the time and effort though, it is a great hobbie.

Start with a simulater on the computer

And buy one that the local store supports, (not that important now with the internet, but still a good idea for a begginer.)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Or start with one of these...

http://www.hobbytron.com/Blade-Runner-RC-Helicopter.html

Kind of "easy mode" rc copter.

- CD
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Let me put it to you this way. They are harder to learn how to fly than real ones and when I say that I am refering to getting a hang of controling them. You have to make sure everything is balanced and trimmed correctly and you are 99% likely to crash at least once when you're learning to fly. I have watched 5 guys learn how to fly RC helis at a local rc field and they all have crashed at least once! Not trying to shoot you down or anything but thats how it is. Best thing to do is find a local rc field and go hang out and ask lots of questions. You'll learn alot!

And yes they do have cameras for them!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
my brother flys "Freestyle" and knows how to do R/C heli radical style flying, auto rotation, etc

it is not easy, he actually paid for proffessional flying lessons by the pros

R/C helis are more technical than planes and require more skill and training to learn to fly, it can get very expensive

he use to wreck his heli all the time when he started, now he's an expert and has been flying them since 1992

R/C helis require lots of tuning and maintenance, everything must be fine tuned or it will cause vibration and it wont handle right, you need to know your heli inside and out
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Does it take the same skills as hovering, When I went up the first time in a heli, the pilot let me try to hover, MAN was that hard to control, is it the same as this?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a shitload of RC airplane stuff I should sell.

Futaba 6AN radio

Alta Vista BARF trainer complete with .48 OS bearing motor and Futaba Rcvr
Few hours airtime

US Aircore unassembled NIB
6-ch Futaba Rcvr & OS .48 bearing motor NIB for the US Aircore

Tote, 12V starter, meter, wall and field quick charger, glo-plug starter, extra prop, bands, tools, etc

Real Flight G3 Radio control and PC simulation software.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#8]
A ton of good info here;  www.helifever.com/
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, I will step in here.....
I fly HARD 3D with a MA Fury Extreme. (2400$'s worth of heli)
First DONT BUY A HELI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buy a simulator. Not MS flight sim but a true RC simulator.
IE: Real flight, Reflex, ect..... They are only available through hobby distributors not toy stores.
Second stay away from fixed pitch helis they suck, and will promote poor throttle management
when you transition to a collective bird.
In the nitro world you cannot beat an ACE Raptor for your first heli. Dont even bother with a 30.
Get a 50 and start out with a low head speed for learning.
Go here to get totaly informed and ask questions.
www.runryder.com the largest online heli community in the world.
Link to my gallery. (The yellow on is my Fury/pride and joy)
http://runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/1579/
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Boomholzer How much for the G3?  Im tired of my slow a$$ g2.
It cant keep up with me anymore. Just to slow
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Boomholzer How much for the G3?  Im tired of my slow a$$ g2.
It cant keep up with me anymore. Just to slow

Ill email you on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top