Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 9:48:33 AM EDT
Its time to get a new PDA.  AHave an IPAQ.  Thinking about getting another.

anyone have any expereince with these little monsters?

Any reccomendations?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Dell Axims are real nice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I picked up the dell axim x50v the first week it came out.  Beautiful screen, nice and fast too. I suck at reviews so my recommendation is check out www.aximsite.com

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Ipaq's are nice, but they just plain cost too much in relation to a comparable Dell model. If you plan on doing any web browsing on it, make sure you have the new VGA screens. Even nicer is if it allows for landscape viewing. That way you can actually read web pages without scrollig every which way. You will still scroll, just not as much.

I really don't see the need for a PDA anymore
In the context of personal/business contacts and such anymore when cell phones can retain that info and is much handier. For games, a Sony PSP does a better job, and with new stuff coming out, even the PS will do the web browsing, contact info, etc stuff. For actually editing/entering data like spreadsheets, docs, etc, a laptop blows the hell out of a PDA and if you demand the use of a stylus, the Tablet PC's work much better than any PDA.

That being said, if someone gave me a top of the line PDA, I'd be happy, but there are too many tradeoffs for me to buy another one unless it's dirt cheap and I have a specific need.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#4]
The way the computer review rags are talking the PDA will be out in the not to distant future and replaced by the PDA/Phone combos like the Treo Smart Phones...

I'm more of a Palm fan versus the Pocket PCs even though I haven't owned on in a few years. Once my M500 shit the bed that was it. I became so reliant on that stupid thing I don't think my brain has fully recovered from being lazy for 2 or so years of having a PDA to do its work for it.

Not to mention if they are saying PDA are going the way of the Do Do, they should try dropping their prices a little on those damned things. Still up in the $400+ range is just sick.

Sony got out while it was ahead as well as a few other companies.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The way the computer review rags are talking the PDA will be out in the not to distant future and replaced by the PDA/Phone combos like the Treo Smart Phones...

I'm more of a Palm fan versus the Pocket PCs even though I haven't owned on in a few years. Once my M500 shit the bed that was it. I became so reliant on that stupid thing I don't think my brain has fully recovered from being lazy for 2 or so years of having a PDA to do its work for it.

Not to mention if they are saying PDA are going the way of the Do Do, they should try dropping their prices a little on those damned things. Still up in the $400+ range is just sick.

Sony got out while it was ahead as well as a few other companies.

Don’t hold you breathe.

The same people have been predicting the death of the PC for 10 years.

The PDA market may change/evolve some but there will be a PDA market for a long time to come.

Sony made the wrong choice of OS. Palm OS was not best suited for the direction Sony took its PDAs.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the Blackberry is the best all round unit.  Phone, PDA, Web browser, Email Client, Chat Client, WIFI and QWERTY keyboard.  Great features in a small handheld unit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a dell axim x5 and loved it.  

There new one has very good reviews as well and much cheaper then the ipaq.

PPC's are not cheap if you want a good fast one.  I'd recommend you go to Bright Hand - largest PDA forum on the internet

they have reviews, people there in all the categories of the pda's.

oh btw the Ipaq's are top of the line and amazing power in those :)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think the Blackberry is the best all round unit.  Phone, PDA, Web browser, Email Client, Chat Client, WIFI and QWERTY keyboard.  Great features in a small handheld unit.

Now I'd get one of those ina heartbeat if I had the money to shit out for it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#9]
HP.  Ipaq.  Best bang for the buck IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top